DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to get ACME 3/4"-5 Tap (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/94732-where-get-acme-3-4%22-5-tap.html)

[email protected] March 10th 05 10:14 PM

Where to get ACME 3/4"-5 Tap

I need a 3/4", 5 threads per inch ACME tap, but I can not find one!
It's the standard thread size for broom handles and paint rollers, but
why doesn't anybody make one? Anyone know where to get one online?
Thanks!

[email protected] March 11th 05 01:50 AM

try mcmaster item 25345A14.

Even if this is a wrong item, they have a variety of 3/4"-5 taps.

I was hoping to find an imported one for around $60, but I have not
been able to find one at any other store.

Jim Stewart March 11th 05 02:01 AM

wrote:
try mcmaster item 25345A14.

Even if this is a wrong item, they have a variety of 3/4"-5 taps.

I was hoping to find an imported one for around $60, but I have not
been able to find one at any other store.

I bet if you ask nice, someone on the group
would make you one for the price of the stock
and shipping.

Peter T. Keillor III March 11th 05 11:48 AM

On 10 Mar 2005 17:50:44 -0800, wrote:

try mcmaster item 25345A14.

Even if this is a wrong item, they have a variety of 3/4"-5 taps.

I was hoping to find an imported one for around $60, but I have not
been able to find one at any other store.

I just did that thread by single point turninging in aluminum. I had
to break the crest (id) to fit mop handles.

Pete Keillor

[email protected] March 11th 05 11:05 PM

wrote:
I need a 3/4", 5 threads per inch ACME tap, but I can not find one!
It's the standard thread size for broom handles and paint rollers,

but
why doesn't anybody make one? Anyone know where to get one online?
Thanks!

This isn't exactly an Acme thread, if you look closely, you'll find
both root and crests are rounded on your mop handle. You can get taps
for threading wood from a lot of woodworking supply houses, even HF
carries them, although the choice of threads is limited. They usually
run $5-10, bottoming taps are a little more. A couple of outfits we
have here in town are also out on the web, Woodcraft and Rockler
Hardware, last I looked, both cataloged threading boxes and matching
taps for wood. Metalworking taps aren't really suited for woodworking,
you can usually get fairly fine-threaded ones to work but coarse ones
will probably just chew out the hole. The woodworking ones have one
cutting point at the start of the thread and the tap is hollow so that
the waste gets passed through a hole in front of the cutting face into
the center of the tap. I use an Arkansas slip to hone it before using.
You want that cutting face to cut, not scrape.

Stan