R.H.

Default What is it? LII

Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Lane

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

290 - ceramic electrical insulator
291 - erasing guard for drafting
295 - a type of staple used for wood fastening

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

290. Insulator
291. Eraser shield
292. Some sort of ratchet tooth
293. Metal flower sculpture
294. Multi-head cutter
295. Corrugated fastener for joining two pieces of wood, like parts of
a picture frame.

from rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Woody Brison

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I know what #290 is: an insulator. Not sure exactly what
type, ie. where used. Electric fence maybe. The size tho
suggests something heavier, telephone line or power line?
The two metal ends do not connect inside. The ceramic
body exists to hold them, in a fixed distance apart, yet
not connected electrically. The bizarre shape, with
ridges, is so that high voltage corona is somewhat reduced,
air currents over those ridges will tend to stir the air
and break up an ionized air channel. So I'll guess it's
more for a power line. I don't see any mounting -- both
ends are designed to accept a bare wire -- so now I'm
wondering what it would be used on

#291 is a draftsman's eraser shield. You put that over your
drawing and apply your eraser in one of the holes, to erase
just the item you want. (Once upon a time, people made
technical drawings with pencil on paper.)

#292. Something familiar about it but it escapes me.

293. ditto. Artificial metal plant?

294. I've never, ever seen anything like this.

295. That's the blade out of a fancy potato cutter. But
where's the rest of it? How did it attach?

We used to play this game at Christmas time. Everybody had
to buy somebody else a wierd strange gift and the recipient
had to figure out what it was. If they couldn't they might
have to wait a year to find out.

Wood

Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I agree with Lane's answers but add that #292 holds a small loop of sand
paper for detail sanding.

294. Soma kinda stepa cutta?

PrecisionMachinisT

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

# 289--holds a stack of 45 rpm vinyl records upon the spindle for automatic
play.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

# 288

Light meter setting exposure in photography.

--

SVL

Dan White

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

284 looks like a cleat (wrong term) for mountain climbing. You stick that
in a rock crevice and it opens up to make a good hold. The rope through the
cleat supports your weight.

dwhite

Leo Lichtman

288 Exposure meter
290 is a ceramic insulator
291 is an eraser shield. Besides drafting, is was used for typing--in the
days before whiteout and deletion paper.
293 looks like a collectible piece of barbed wire
295 is a corrugated fastener--they were driven into the end grain of wooden
boards to hold them together. A very common use was on the end boards of
wooden produce boxes. These used to be called by a politically incorrect,
offensive name

One you had recently, that I no longer see--an iron meteorite. I ran across
one for sale at a flea market last weekend.

Steve

#292 is for detail sanding, as some someone else said. I bought one to
use for working on guitar frets.

R.H. wrote:

Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

CW

292 Sanding tool. Uses small sanding belts. Quite handy.

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Al A.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:42:47 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

294 is a type of "wrench" used to remove steam pipe fittings.
i always saw them used to install and remove the union that goes
on the inlet of a steam radiator in home heating systems. The nipple
had two little ribs cast on the ID of the pipe that the tool would
engage in the cutouts. The steps are for different sized nipples,
and the square section is for a wrench to turn it with.
Can't remember what these are called, though...
Kenneth

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:38:26 GMT, "Kris Baker"
wrote:

"Dan White" wrote in message

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

284 looks like a cleat (wrong term) for mountain climbing. You stick

that
in a rock crevice and it opens up to make a good hold. The rope

through the
cleat supports your weight.

dwhite

Piton ?

Kris

Howdy,

Nope... wrong name.

A piton is hammered in place (frequently damaging the rock.)

This 284 gadget is essentially a set of cams. They can be
rolled to narrow their profile, placed in a crack in the
rockface, and then expanded. They don't damage the rock.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

290. Alien TP roll holder. (they have wavy butts)
291. Mistake selector.
292. Rubber band tensioner.
293. Stupid goth kids trying to worship the Anti-Santa.
294. A Device.
295. Metal corn cob--only not with corn.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Rich Grise

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:43:53 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

288 Exposure meter
290 is a ceramic insulator
291 is an eraser shield. Besides drafting, is was used for typing--in the
days before whiteout and deletion paper.
293 looks like a collectible piece of barbed wire
295 is a corrugated fastener--they were driven into the end grain of wooden
boards to hold them together. A very common use was on the end boards of
wooden produce boxes. These used to be called by a politically incorrect,
offensive name

And what name might that be? You can rot13 it, if you're worried about the
Morals Police.

Thanks,
Rich

B.B.

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

[...]

295 is a corrugated fastener--they were driven into the end grain of wooden
boards to hold them together. A very common use was on the end boards of
wooden produce boxes. These used to be called by a politically incorrect,
offensive name

"liberals"? (:

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

290) Electrical insulator. Supported by a wire around one of the
grooves. It might be an insulator for connecting a long-wire
antenna to the downfeed wire. If I could see a parting line
anywhere, I would suggest that it be a feedthrough insulator for
going though a window or the like.

291) Erasing shield for an old typewriter without correction ability
built in.

292) It looks intended to wedge a sliding window from motion.
Perhaps a sliding rear window in a pickup truck, based on
the size. If it were larger, I would think that it was for a
sliding glass door.

293) For hanging some kind of foodstuffs to cure. if it were smaller
I would suggest that it was an early and nasty version of
barbed wire. It looks as though the spikes are cut free from
the shank and bent out.

294) A stepped wrench for unscrewing something -- perhaps some kind
of valve seats? Rather ugly casting, in any case, with no
apparent effort to clean off any flash.

295) I wish I remembered the name of this. It is intended to join
two pieces of wood edge to edge or end to end. The near edge is
driven in, with the stress along the width in use.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Mike Dworetsky

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

290. Ceramic insulator for suspended electric cables. Keeps cables apart.

291. Template for erasures used by artists or draughtsmen. Prevents erasing
the wrong bits.

292. ??

293. Hanger for pantry, with spikes for game? Sadist's tie rack?

294. ??

295. Joinery nail used in making furniture.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Jon Haugsand

* R. H.
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

# 292

Golf training device?
Shoemaker inside measuring device?

# 293

Part of a fence

# 294

Axis part of some heavy gear machinery

--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway,

Jeff R

#291 - Draughtsman's erasing guide/shield

Matthew Newell

In article ,
says...
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

posting from rec.puzzles

290. a porcelein insulator?

291. a gasket?

292.

293. wouldn't want to be on wrong end of it! some form of
drag / trawl

294. a multi-key for very boring locks?

295. wood joining thingy

These are hard - first time I really havent had a clue for
any of selection.

Regards

Matthew Newell
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted some more photos tonight:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

290: Terminals with insulator for high-voltage electrical wires. (At
only 4", not too high voltage though)

291: stencil

293: anchor

295: Corrugated nail, often used in picture frames

result in a fully-depreciated one.

293 Seed corn cob dryer. Pick the best of this years corn cobs, stick
them on this thing and hang them up to keep them away from rodents and
to dry for next years seed corn.

Gjpostma

R.H. wrote:
Just posted some more photos tonight:

290. a "spark gap". Used in old phone lines and antenna leads. One
terminal was attach to a ground rod and the outside line and the feed
into the building were attached to the other terminal. If lightning hit
the the antenna or phone line, the surge would jump the gap and go to
ground instead of into the building.

291. An eraser shield

293. A hanger for drying leaf tobacco

294. A tool for installing/removing fittings on cast iron radiators

295. a corrugated staple for butt joining two pieces of wood

292 is a detail sander that tensions a small belt of abrasive cloth.

R.H.

294 is a type of "wrench" used to remove steam pipe fittings.
i always saw them used to install and remove the union that goes
on the inlet of a steam radiator in home heating systems. The nipple
had two little ribs cast on the ID of the pipe that the tool would
engage in the cutouts. The steps are for different sized nipples,
and the square section is for a wrench to turn it with.
Can't remember what these are called, though...

As I mentioned in another post, the seller told me it was for fixing dented
pipes, but your answer sounds more likely. On one side of this tool it
says "Chicago Spec. Mfg. Co." and the other side says "Malleable Iron
Taiwan". Please let me know if you remember what it's called, I've been
looking on the web but haven't found anything like it yet.

Rob

R.H.

I thought I had a couple of testers in this set, but it looks like they've
all been answered correctly:

Spoilers:

290. Insulator, though I haven't had any luck verifying exactly what type
291. Drafter's erasing shield
292. Detail sanding tool, with sandpaper belt removed.
293. Corn dryer
294. Plumber's tool, the seller told me it was for fixing the ends of dented
pipes, you would insert this tool and turn it to bend the pipe back into
shape. Someone from the metalworking board posted that it's a type of
wrench used to remove steam pipe fittings, he replied only to that board but
you'll see more of his answer if you read my response to him.
295. Corrugated fastener, for connecting wood with mitered joints, such as
picture frames.

Rob

#290: Insulator from an electric fencer

#291: Eraser shield for drafting

#292: Interested in seeing what this is, I think I've seen the spring end
on something, but I can't place it

#293: Fake flower stem for silk flowers

#294: Hole step gauge of some sort?

#295: Extruded lead?

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Al A.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:43:18 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

294 is a type of "wrench" used to remove steam pipe fittings.
i always saw them used to install and remove the union that goes
on the inlet of a steam radiator in home heating systems. The nipple
had two little ribs cast on the ID of the pipe that the tool would
engage in the cutouts. The steps are for different sized nipples,
and the square section is for a wrench to turn it with.
Can't remember what these are called, though...

As I mentioned in another post, the seller told me it was for fixing dented
pipes, but your answer sounds more likely. On one side of this tool it
says "Chicago Spec. Mfg. Co." and the other side says "Malleable Iron
Taiwan". Please let me know if you remember what it's called, I've been
looking on the web but haven't found anything like it yet.

Rob

Rob,
Here is a link to a similar tool. It is referred to here as a
"radiator step wrench", but that seems to be at term used in the UK,
where this site is from.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/241-38

I am sure there is another name for this. It is a sort of colloquial
name like "Spud wrench" (though that is not what this is) or
something. Up here in New England, we still have lots of homes with 60
& 70 year old steam heating systems. I have seen these tools used
before.
Gonna call my plumber buddy tomorrow....

-AL

TomH

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:43:18 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

294 is a type of "wrench" used to remove steam pipe fittings.
i always saw them used to install and remove the union that goes
on the inlet of a steam radiator in home heating systems. The nipple
had two little ribs cast on the ID of the pipe that the tool would
engage in the cutouts. The steps are for different sized nipples,
and the square section is for a wrench to turn it with.
Can't remember what these are called, though...

As I mentioned in another post, the seller told me it was for fixing dented
pipes, but your answer sounds more likely. On one side of this tool it
says "Chicago Spec. Mfg. Co." and the other side says "Malleable Iron
Taiwan". Please let me know if you remember what it's called, I've been
looking on the web but haven't found anything like it yet.

Radiator Step Wrench

Similar:
(this would be used with a ratchet, yours with an open wrench)
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/stati.../p1631942.html

Yes, used to unseat valves in steam radiators.

--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
Steve Mulhollan

#293 is for baking potatoes in a fireplace

#295 is a nail for picture frames

#284 is a camming device used by rock climbers (I think it's called a
"nut"). Compress it and put it in a crack in the rock. Atach rope. The
harder you pull the tighter it wedges itself into the crack.

#286 is an elevator door key. Look on an elevator door and you'll see
a round hole. The key goes in there to unlock the door.

#287 is a wrench for wing nuts.

#288 is a light meter.

#289 look like a post for a 45rpm record player.

#290: Insulator from an electric fencer

#291: Eraser shield for drafting

#292: Interested in seeing what this is, I think I've seen the spring end
on something, but I can't place it

#293: Fake flower stem for silk flowers

#294: Hole step gauge of some sort?

#295: Extruded lead?

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

R.H.

"TomH" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the link.

Rob

Leo Lichtman

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:43:53 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

288 Exposure meter
290 is a ceramic insulator
291 is an eraser shield. Besides drafting, is was used for typing--in
the
days before whiteout and deletion paper.
293 looks like a collectible piece of barbed wire
295 is a corrugated fastener--they were driven into the end grain of
wooden
boards to hold them together. A very common use was on the end boards of
wooden produce boxes. These used to be called by a politically
incorrect,
offensive name

And what name might that be? You can rot13 it, if you're worried about the
Morals Police.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My e-mail to you bounced, so I guess I'll post it he
WRJ ANVYF (Hope I got it right--ROT 13 is new to me.)

Rich Grise

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:13:45 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:43:53 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

295 is a corrugated fastener--they were driven into the end grain of
wooden
boards to hold them together. A very common use was on the end boards
of wooden produce boxes. These used to be called by a politically
incorrect,
offensive name

And what name might that be? You can rot13 it, if you're worried about
the Morals Police.

My e-mail to you bounced, so I guess I'll post it he WRJ ANVYF (Hope
I got it right--ROT 13 is new to me.)

Apparently you got it right - it works for me. :-)

Presumably, it's used while Avttre-evt-ing a klooge. ;-)

Thanks!
Rich