Haaken Hveem

Default supercharger question....

Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.

I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing to
lubricate the supercharger.

I found this project while surfing on the net.
It is a supercharged 4-stroke Honda CD50.

http://www.hondaheaven.org/Article115.html

Håken Hveem ,
Norway

Bob Paulin

Haaken Hveem wrote in article
Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the

cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.

I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing

lubricate the supercharger.

Most superchargers don't like the idea of being lubricated with thinned out
oil/gasoline vapors, either.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:31:16 -0000, Haaken Hveem wrote:
Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.
I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing to
lubricate the supercharger.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind, is how will the supercharger
get lubrication when the throttle is closed? Saab's 2-stroke cars
(1940's through late 1960's) overcame this by putting a "freewheel"
in the drive train - a one-way slip clutch that let the engine go back
to idle when you took your foot off the gas, so it's coast freely.
The supercharger is driven by the crank rotation, yes? So, you'd
have to either put a freewheel (one-way slip clutch) in, (hard at high
horsepower), or come up with some other way to lubricate it.

Emissions would be another concern, as well as oil flow into the parts of
the supercharger where you need it. Better, I think, to inject oil to
where the supercharger needs it - if it goes into the induction system
from there, that's OK, but it eliminates the overrun problem and the
problem of hoping the oil gets to where it's needed.

Dave Hinz

jackK

Haaken Hveem wrote:
Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.

I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing to
lubricate the supercharger.

I found this project while surfing on the net.
It is a supercharged 4-stroke Honda CD50.

http://www.hondaheaven.org/Article115.html

Håken Hveem ,
Norway

Does the gas pass thru the supercharger or just air?

I'm thinking just air and not the gas mixture passes thru supercharger,
so I'm quessing........... NO
Pat Ford

"jackK" wrote in message
Haaken Hveem wrote:
Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the

cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.

I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing

lubricate the supercharger.

I found this project while surfing on the net.
It is a supercharged 4-stroke Honda CD50.

http://www.hondaheaven.org/Article115.html

Håken Hveem ,
Norway

Does the gas pass thru the supercharger or just air?

I'm thinking just air and not the gas mixture passes thru supercharger,
so I'm quessing........... NO

its dangerous if you do a suck through system ( suck through the carb into
the compressor) any little spark and you have a bomb!
Pat

Leo Lichtman

Does the gas pass thru the supercharger or just air?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is going back a long way, but I recall that the Judson blower I had on
my VW went between the carb and the manifold, so it was a "suck-through"
system. Lubrication was provided from a jar of oil (Marvel Mystery Oil),
drawn in somehow by the vacuum, to the carburetor.

yourname

its dangerous if you do a suck through system ( suck through the carb into
the compressor) any little spark and you have a bomb!
Pat

except that is what all carb superchargers do. Think dragster. Also note
the big straps to keep the blower from flying into the crowd when it goes.

once you fuel inject then yes it is only air.

Lotus Esprit[83-86] is the only blow through carb turbo know of, no blow
through superchargers I can think of

Martin Whybrow

"yourname" wrote in message

its dangerous if you do a suck through system ( suck through the carb

into
the compressor) any little spark and you have a bomb!
Pat

except that is what all carb superchargers do. Think dragster. Also note
the big straps to keep the blower from flying into the crowd when it goes.

once you fuel inject then yes it is only air.

Lotus Esprit[83-86] is the only blow through carb turbo know of, no blow
through superchargers I can think of

I can add to that list: Austin Metro Turbo was also a blow through carb; I
remember the clamp to stop the piston in the dashpot of the SU carb from
blowing out!
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Waynemak

When the throttle is "closed" it is still pulling fuel/oil, if it didn't the
engine wouldn't run. Outboards have far more HP than a Saab 2 stroke ever
had and they don't need to keep spinning to lub things up.
wrote:
[...]

Haaken Hveem

Yes , the bearings need lubrication.
And i am thinking about a twin-screw blower....

Does anyone know of a supercharger that fits a two stroke 50cc engine?
Any recomendations?

"Tom" skrev i melding
Haaken Hveem wrote:

Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the

cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.

I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing

lubricate the supercharger.

I found this project while surfing on the net.
It is a supercharged 4-stroke Honda CD50.

http://www.hondaheaven.org/Article115.html

Håken Hveem ,
Norway

Are you talking about bearing lubrication? There are plenty of
supercharger designs that have self contained bearing lubrication.

Tom

J Gold

There was a sliding vane type supercharger for a VW beetle made by
Judson that had to have an oil drip in the intake to keep it lubricated.

From a web site about it:
As the vanes need to be kept well lubricated, oil is fed to the inlet
manifold of the Judson from a glass container filled with engine oil.
This oil is drawn into the supercharger by inlet vacuum and, after
lubricating the vanes, passes into the engine to be burnt along with the
fuel. Judson claimed this helped engine longevity by acting as an upper
cylinder lubricant.

Haaken Hveem wrote:
Is it possible to lubricate a supercharger with oil premixed in the
gasoline?
On two strokes oil are pre-mixed in the fuel, to lubricate the engine.
The oil-fuel mixture usually passes from the carb and in to the cranc-case,
and then to the cylinder.

I dont like the idea of having to mount a external oil pump and plumbing to
lubricate the supercharger.

I found this project while surfing on the net.
It is a supercharged 4-stroke Honda CD50.

http://www.hondaheaven.org/Article115.html

Håken Hveem ,
Norway

Bob

An engine of that size will not need a lot of air. How about an
aircraft instrument air pump? Sliding vane style, no lube required,
and reasonably cheap.

The other question is, why not go to a larger engine? 100CC will be
about the same size...

Bob

jtaylor

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

An engine of that size will not need a lot of air. How about an
aircraft instrument air pump? Sliding vane style, no lube required,
and reasonably cheap.

The other question is, why not go to a larger engine? 100CC will be
about the same size...

The post on the website said he was limited to 50cc.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:11:16 -0500, Waynemak wrote:
When the throttle is "closed" it is still pulling fuel/oil, if it didn't the
engine wouldn't run.

Yes, but it's pulling fuel/oil at "idle" rate, but if the engine is turning
road rate, you're starving the system for oil.

Outboards have far more HP than a Saab 2 stroke ever
had and they don't need to keep spinning to lub things up.

Aren't outboards these days 4-stroke, or at least oil injected? I'm
saying it's a real phenomenon and a concern, not the absolute only way
that things ever work.

Dave Hinz

On 2 Mar 2005 06:42:09 -0800, Bob wrote:

An engine of that size will not need a lot of air. How about an
aircraft instrument air pump? Sliding vane style, no lube required,
and reasonably cheap.

I was just thinking that. Carbon rotor and vanes, so they're self
lubricating. Cooper is one brand, right? But, I'm not sure that the
airflow is even in the order of magnitude necessary for a supercharger.

I've spent a lot of time inside those air pumps; I used to work for
a company who made backup vacuum/pressure pump systems for single
engine aircraft (Pamco, Inc.) - we drove one of those from a DC motor,
instrumented it a bit, and plumbed it in to the existing system
with check valves & manifolds. The flow, however, wasn't all that
high when compared to an engine's airflow. We're just spinning
gyros, after all.

The other question is, why not go to a larger engine? 100CC will be
about the same size...

Sometimes the obvious solution isn't as much fun, though...

James

You might contact these people, they make really small superchargers.
http://www.rbinnovations.com

Looks like a blow thru design with no lubrication needed.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM