DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tennyru-type blade on aluminum (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/93228-tennyru-type-blade-aluminum.html)

Bob Engelhardt March 1st 05 03:42 PM

Tennyru-type blade on aluminum

I have a C6 steel-cutting blade in a (small) dedicated table saw. A
couple of times it was so convenient that I used it on aluminum. But
reluctantly. I kept wondering whether it was a Bad Idea. The only bad
thing that I could think of was that I might get aluminum welded to the
tips. But that hasn't happened (yet). Is it OK or not?

Bob

[email protected] March 1st 05 03:54 PM

Use a lube, or a wax stick. Don't let the aluminum wedge into the
gullets, it can split the saw plate.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh March 1st 05 05:09 PM

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I have a C6 steel-cutting blade in a (small) dedicated table saw. A
couple of times it was so convenient that I used it on aluminum. But
reluctantly. I kept wondering whether it was a Bad Idea. The only bad
thing that I could think of was that I might get aluminum welded to the
tips. But that hasn't happened (yet). Is it OK or not?

It's OK with caveats.

1) cut very slowly, and let the saw do the work (*where* have you heard
THAT beforeG)
2) use a lubricant, like paraffin (or even oil), to prevent false edges
from building up on the teeth.
3) Wear both full-face AND upper-body/arm protection, and a hat. Cutting a
aluminum plate on a table saw is just plain PAINFUL unless you're properly
garbed. The chips fly fast and are HOT!
4) keep out of the line of work -- aluminum is prone to kickback, for
whatever reason...
5) for #4 above, chamfer or file or debur all edges and corners that might
bite you if kickback occurs.

LLoyd

Ernie Leimkuhler March 1st 05 08:18 PM

In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a C6 steel-cutting blade in a (small) dedicated table saw. A
couple of times it was so convenient that I used it on aluminum. But
reluctantly. I kept wondering whether it was a Bad Idea. The only bad
thing that I could think of was that I might get aluminum welded to the
tips. But that hasn't happened (yet). Is it OK or not?

Bob

Use a cutting fluid or a stick wax and it will be fine.
Without a fluid or wax the aluminum will smear onto the saw tips and
eventually clog the teeth.

Bob Engelhardt March 1st 05 09:06 PM

Stick wax it is. Thanks to all repliers. Bob