DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Foredom grinder vs knockoff (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/92885-foredom-grinder-vs-knockoff.html)

RWL February 26th 05 08:29 PM

Foredom grinder vs knockoff

I'm considering getting something with more oomph than a Dremel, that
doesn't slow down when you put pressure on something you're working
on. I'd prefer something portable like the Foredom rather than a flex
shaft for my drill press.

This is strictly for occasional hobby use, not for daily commercial
operation, but I don't like using junk that's going to break either.

I haven't done any real shopping yet other than to note that Harbor
Freight had a flexible shaft rotary grinder that looks like a Foredom
grinder. Anybody have one of these and can give me your impressions?

Do you notice much difference in power when using an 1/8th HP Foredom
vs the 1/4 HP models?

I recall that there are attachment handles for Foredom tools, like
handles for checkering gunstocks, and other things like that, that I
assume are interchangeable with all Foredom tools.

Do the knockoffs accept Foredom accessories (not sure what to call
these - accessory handles?) or do you have to get a real Foredom
grinder to use the accessories?

What should I expect to pay for a Foredom vs a knockoff?

Any other considerations that I haven't asked about?

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

SteveB February 26th 05 09:36 PM

"RWL" wrote in message

[...]

You can spend the money and get the real deal that will last probably longer
than you will, or cheap out and get a POS.

Your choice.

Steve

Richard Ferguson February 26th 05 10:43 PM

I have been very happy with a 1/4 inch electric die grinder from Makita.
It has held up well in moderate use. It looks like an oversize
Dremel, but much more powerful. I have never slowed it down noticably.
I have a 1/8 inch collet for it, but I have not used it. I generally
use carbide burs with it, will really remove some metal. This is an
alternative to a Foredom or equivalent, probably less money, takes up
less space in the shop.

Richard

doon41 February 27th 05 12:45 AM

Steve was right - look at machines in the class "electric die
grinders".

Also you might consider the Rotozip rotary drill-saw. It takes 1/4 and
smaller collets and has a lot of power. It works nicely with an
inexpensive AC speed controller.

There are some small edge finishing machines for formica counters that
look like small routers - and of course take 1/4 shanks. These tend to
be pretty powerful, too.

But if you need the flexible shaft, it's hard to beat the foredom.
It's not a high speed grinder, but it has the torque.
-Dion

Larry Jaques February 27th 05 03:39 AM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:29:54 -0500, the inscrutable RWL
spake:

I'm considering getting something with more oomph than a Dremel, that
doesn't slow down when you put pressure on something you're working
on. I'd prefer something portable like the Foredom rather than a flex
shaft for my drill press.

All of them do slow down, but the Foredoms and knockoffs do less so.
Power is about halfway between the Dremel and a full-sized electric
die grinder, maybe a bit less. I picked up one of the little $8
chiwanese knockoffs last week and it's surprisingly powerful for its
size, but only with a 1/8" diameter or smaller tool on it.

This is strictly for occasional hobby use, not for daily commercial
operation, but I don't like using junk that's going to break either.

I haven't done any real shopping yet other than to note that Harbor
Freight had a flexible shaft rotary grinder that looks like a Foredom
grinder. Anybody have one of these and can give me your impressions?

I have one and haven't used it very much, but it feels OK. I haven't
tried a Foredom (too many people in line ahead of me at the shows)
but know they'd feel a bit better because of the price difference.
I have a feeling that I'll be using it for power deburring in the
very near future.

Do you notice much difference in power when using an 1/8th HP Foredom
vs the 1/4 HP models?

What the Foredom and HF knockoff are NOT is a die grinder. I have both
electric and pneumatic die grinders which have a hell of a lot more
power than the flex shaft models.

I recall that there are attachment handles for Foredom tools, like
handles for checkering gunstocks, and other things like that, that I
assume are interchangeable with all Foredom tools.

Do the knockoffs accept Foredom accessories (not sure what to call
these - accessory handles?) or do you have to get a real Foredom
grinder to use the accessories?

Not that I know of, but I haven't checked in depth.

What should I expect to pay for a Foredom vs a knockoff?

Any other considerations that I haven't asked about?

The HF was $50 out the door, about a quarter os what Foredom wants.
That was good enough for me to give it a trial, and I'm happy.
I'm also extremely frugal. squeak, squeak, squeak

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"

Alex H. Sallwey March 14th 05 12:13 PM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:29:54 -0500, the inscrutable RWL
spake:

I'm considering getting something with more oomph than a Dremel, that
doesn't slow down when you put pressure on something you're working
on. I'd prefer something portable like the Foredom rather than a flex
shaft for my drill press.

All of them do slow down, but the Foredoms and knockoffs do less so.
Power is about halfway between the Dremel and a full-sized electric
die grinder, maybe a bit less. I picked up one of the little $8
chiwanese knockoffs last week and it's surprisingly powerful for its
size, but only with a 1/8" diameter or smaller tool on it.

All you probably have to do is buy a Foredom handpiece.

[...]

I recall that there are attachment handles for Foredom tools, like
handles for checkering gunstocks, and other things like that, that I
assume are interchangeable with all Foredom tools.

Do the knockoffs accept Foredom accessories (not sure what to call
these - accessory handles?) or do you have to get a real Foredom
grinder to use the accessories?

Not that I know of, but I haven't checked in depth.

Hmmm, I bought one of the knockoffs, grey, flex shaft, 1/8th" drill bit. I
bought a Foredom handpiece for 1/4" bits and it works great. Foredom cables
can be used for replacing the flex shaft if you break it.

[email protected] March 14th 05 03:49 PM

I got tired of wearing dremels out and bought a dumore with a 5/32
jacobs chuck , Around 220$ US.
The downside is coarser abrasives come on 1/4" shanks.
The plus side is that it has outlasted everything else and will fit all
of the "surplus" dental bits.
By outlast, I mean 10 years commercial use with no problem.
A brand new one sits in a box just in case.
My next choice would be a Metabo brand die grinder that can collet 1/4"
shafts