DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thread Cutting? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/92852-thread-cutting.html)

Grady February 26th 05 01:04 PM

Thread Cutting?

Anybody got a link to a good thread cutting tutorial? Also, when machining
both the male and female items to be threaded, how much clearance do you
allow to start with between the two?

Clark Magnuson February 26th 05 02:16 PM

I just made female threads on the lathe for the first time.
I used a boring bar with a 60 degree bit that I ground.

I have a book "Machining Fundamentals" by John R. Walker that explains
how to grind the bits and operate the lathe to make the cuts.

I ignored the book and made some on my own, but I got left hand threads.
It is easier to just follow the directions.

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

Greg February 26th 05 05:30 PM

Grady wrote:
Anybody got a link to a good thread cutting tutorial? Also, when machining
both the male and female items to be threaded, how much clearance do you
allow to start with between the two?

Not exactly an answer to you question, but if possible, as you approach
finished thread depth, stop and test fit (without taking the part out of
the chuck). Then just take light passes until the fit is what you want
it to be by feel. Make sure the thread are clean when you do this.

Of course, this does not work when one part already exists and is too
big to bring near the lathe. Also, I'm assuming this is hobby work and
the exact clearance is not critical.

-Greg

jim rozen February 26th 05 06:29 PM

In article , Clark Magnuson says...

I ignored the book and made some on my own, but I got left hand threads.

Umm. I did that the first time too.

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney February 26th 05 08:07 PM

Second that, Clark! "Walker" is a great book but not quite correctly named.
From the standpoint of my limited machining experience, he covers a lot more
than fundamentals. Great book.

Bob Swinney

Gunner February 27th 05 04:26 AM

On 26 Feb 2005 10:29:40 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Clark Magnuson says...

I ignored the book and made some on my own, but I got left hand threads.

Umm. I did that the first time too.

Jim

small voice...me too.

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Ted Edwards February 27th 05 07:15 AM

Clark Magnuson wrote:
I ignored the book and made some on my own, but I got left hand threads.
It is easier to just follow the directions.

"When all else fails, but only then, try following the printed
directions." :-)

Ted

Sunworshipper February 27th 05 08:04 AM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:15:16 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Clark Magnuson wrote:
I ignored the book and made some on my own, but I got left hand threads.
It is easier to just follow the directions.

"When all else fails, but only then, try following the printed
directions." :-)

Ted

I read the books I could find and still couldn't figure it out till I
threw the books aside and said screw it, it looks like I'm just going
to have to wing it and it worked the first time !

I'm perplexed that in the information age why computers are like
stabbing in the dark.

Peter T. Keillor III February 27th 05 01:21 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:30:17 -0800, Greg
wrote:

Grady wrote:
Anybody got a link to a good thread cutting tutorial? Also, when machining
both the male and female items to be threaded, how much clearance do you
allow to start with between the two?

Not exactly an answer to you question, but if possible, as you approach
finished thread depth, stop and test fit (without taking the part out of
the chuck). Then just take light passes until the fit is what you want
it to be by feel. Make sure the thread are clean when you do this.

Of course, this does not work when one part already exists and is too
big to bring near the lathe. Also, I'm assuming this is hobby work and
the exact clearance is not critical.

-Greg

That's what I do, try it. Lately, I'm cutting an internal sort of
acme thread, 3/4" x 5tpi. "Sort of" because it is intended to fit mop
handles, and they are NOT precise, at least to thread form, depth,
etc. So I chopped off a $1.95 broom handle with a metal tip to test,
then removed and tested on another handle with a plastic tip. Oops,
have to break the edge and open up the i.d.

Picking up the thread again wasn't too bad. I just stuck the piece
back in the collet, engaged the tool in the thread with the crossfeed
with the boring bar loose and the threading dial at the right spot,
then clamped the boring bar. To set the threading dial, I disengaged
the drive and rotated the spindle (with the tool retracted out of the
threads, of course).

I followed a suggestion I believe I read here a while back, and
threaded in reverse on the back side. It worked very well, because
the carriage travel was left to right, or out of the bore. At 5 tpi,
it moves pretty quick, even in back gear.

Pete Keillor

Bugs February 27th 05 02:49 PM

Machinery's Handbook, or any other machinist's handbook will give you
exhaustive information on thread turning. In general, I use a couple of
thou. for clearance, but it makes a very tight fit. The class of the
thread, based on strength requirements and size determines the
clearance.
It's a good idea to stick with published standards for
interchangeability.
Bigs

Harold and Susan Vordos February 27th 05 08:40 PM

"Bugs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Machinery's Handbook, or any other machinist's handbook will give you
exhaustive information on thread turning. In general, I use a couple of
thou. for clearance, but it makes a very tight fit. The class of the
thread, based on strength requirements and size determines the
clearance.
It's a good idea to stick with published standards for
interchangeability.
Bigs

What's an even better idea is to learn to properly apply thread wires so you
can stick to the standards. They are of no use for internal threads, but
perfect for outside measurements, and cheap to own. For those that don't
understand, wires are the proper way to measure threads, and are used for
calibrating thread gages. There is no better method.

Harold

Errol Groff February 27th 05 11:54 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:04:17 -0600, "Grady" wrote:

Anybody got a link to a good thread cutting tutorial? Also, when machining
both the male and female items to be threaded, how much clearance do you
allow to start with between the two?

I have some information on using three wires on my web pages

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...index_page.htm

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...index_page.htm

These web pages have been shamefully neglected for far too long but I
plan to converto to a "rreal" web presence soon and will update and
improve things on the pages.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School