habbi

Default Cutting 7" hole in SS chimney liner

I have to smash out some brick and cut a 7" round hole in a SS chimney
liner. Would a grinder be as simple as it gets.

Joe

I have to smash out some brick and cut a 7" round hole in a SS chimney
liner. Would a grinder be as simple as it gets.

7" is way too big for any one drilling tool I know of, but I'd personally do
it with multipel smaller holed made with a masonary bit then punch out the
center and smooth the edges with a chisel as needed, etc.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?
http://host.mynocdns.com/mailman/lis...rides_yunx.com

Tim Killian

If you've got room, a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel will do the job
on thin SST.

habbi wrote:

I have to smash out some brick and cut a 7" round hole in a SS chimney
liner. Would a grinder be as simple as it gets.

habbi

I have no problem getting through the brick, the problem will be cutting a
7" hole in the stainless steel liner that will join to a 7" "fishmouth"
shaped end of more liner.

"Joe" wrote in message
I have to smash out some brick and cut a 7" round hole in a SS chimney
liner. Would a grinder be as simple as it gets.

7" is way too big for any one drilling tool I know of, but I'd personally

do
it with multipel smaller holed made with a masonary bit then punch out the
center and smooth the edges with a chisel as needed, etc.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com

V8013

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?
http://host.mynocdns.com/mailman/lis...rides_yunx.com

Joe

I have no problem getting through the brick, the problem will be cutting a
7" hole in the stainless steel liner that will join to a 7" "fishmouth"
shaped end of more liner.

I noticed that about 30 seconds after I posted my reply... But figured the
same method could be used in the stainless... with a metal cutting bit and
PLENTY of coolant.

You will not be able to drill many holes in stainless without keeping the
bit plenty cool with coolant of some sort. Don't even try...

Anyhow... You could still drill holes in a circular pattern and then use a
small dremel or sawzall-type blade to connect the dots and get a roundish
hole.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-drill.com

V8013

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?
http://host.mynocdns.com/mailman/lis...rides_yunx.com

habbi

I did it today and found out something about die grinders. They lose power
very quickly as the dia. of the bit is increased. I started off with a die
grinder with 3" cut off disk and it was not doing very well. Then I said
what the hell and put the cut-off disk in the drill and it worked 10 times
more efficiently. The drill turn around 2000 rpm and the die grinder about
10000 rpm.
I made the hole about 1/4" small all around and then cut slots every 1/2"
and bent them out to fit in to the fishmouth of the connecting pipe. Screwed
it together and it went smoothly. Thanks for all replies.

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Cutting speeds for Hole Saws ShakasCaregiver Metalworking 8 August 12th 04 03:41 PM
Smelly chimney liner? NickW UK diy 2 November 25th 03 03:21 PM
Attic insulation question Alexander Galkin Home Repair 5 November 10th 03 05:21 AM
Drilling metal control panel advice... Alan Kamrowski II Metalworking 14 October 25th 03 05:08 AM
cutting hole in ceramic tile Dave Liquorice UK diy 20 July 30th 03 02:01 PM