DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Back Hoe pins (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/92407-back-hoe-pins.html)

tm_wilhelm February 23rd 05 02:02 AM

Back Hoe pins

I'm making a mechanical thumb for a kubota L-48 backhoe. The pivot pins are
1.25" x 10". What type steel would you recommend for the pins. I will need
to drill and cut these, but they obviously need to be tough enough not to
bend/shear.

machineman February 23rd 05 02:40 AM

tm_wilhelm wrote:
I'm making a mechanical thumb for a kubota L-48 backhoe. The pivot pins are
1.25" x 10". What type steel would you recommend for the pins. I will need
to drill and cut these, but they obviously need to be tough enough not to
bend/shear.

When I worked for a Skid Steer manufacturer we made the pivot pins out
of Stressproof. The bars come generally on size within a thou or two
of the stated size, and the material is generally hardened to around
32Rc. If it is a very high stress area the next step up would be
4340HT. It comes in hot rolled so you would need the next size up and
turned down to size.

Karl Townsend February 23rd 05 07:10 PM

FWIW, I've used W1 from Mcmaster Carr on my hoe, no problems. Main reason is
they will sell a three foot piece and have it to your door by tommorrow.

4140 would be another good choice.

Karl