DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fold or cut spine for a backsaw? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/91582-re-fold-cut-spine-backsaw.html)

DanG February 17th 05 04:31 PM

Fold or cut spine for a backsaw?

You may do better to use 2 pieces of flat strap drilled and
riveted to the back of the blade to create your backsaw.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in
message e...
Greetings, O wise ones of all that is inorganic

I'm making a backsaw. I'm thinking of bending a brass strip to
make the
back. Lots of peening to clamp it to the saw. Better to get a
thicker
strip and saw a slot? That offers the possiblility of using rod
stock, for
stiffness without a deep slot.

I've got a 6" metalwork vise, hacksaw, and a metal-cutting blade
for my
skilsaw; no stationary machines.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

Gunner February 17th 05 05:54 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:11:09 -0600, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:

Greetings, O wise ones of all that is inorganic

I'm making a backsaw. I'm thinking of bending a brass strip to make the
back. Lots of peening to clamp it to the saw. Better to get a thicker
strip and saw a slot? That offers the possiblility of using rod stock, for
stiffness without a deep slot.

I've got a 6" metalwork vise, hacksaw, and a metal-cutting blade for my
skilsaw; no stationary machines.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

I vote for concrete.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,