DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Posters with VCF attachments (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/90433-posters-vcf-attachments.html)

Gunner February 9th 05 02:44 PM

Posters with VCF attachments

Just a heads up...Agent and other news readers will not allow the
reading of your messages when you have a "business card" or vcf file
attached to your posts. It works the same way with .exe files. This is
to prevent a malicious file from doing bad things to your computer.

Just wanted to let you know many of us cannot read your posts as long
as you attach those business cards.

Gunner
Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

DoN. Nichols February 10th 05 06:19 AM

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
Just a heads up...Agent and other news readers will not allow the
reading of your messages when you have a "business card" or vcf file
attached to your posts. It works the same way with .exe files. This is
to prevent a malicious file from doing bad things to your computer.

Just wanted to let you know many of us cannot read your posts as long
as you attach those business cards.

It is just another example of Microsoft trying to re-write
standards to exclude everyone else. In this case, the vcard is an
incompatible variant on the usenet and e-mail ".sig".

And yes -- vcard files *have* been used to sneak nasties into a
system which uses them.

However -- I can read the articles with no trouble, and just
ignore the vcard if it is otherwise than in plain text. :-) (But I use
a newsreader which does not immediately hop onto any mime attachment.
It has to be asked *nicely* to extract something. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gunner February 10th 05 10:19 AM

On 10 Feb 2005 01:19:34 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
[...]

My particular version of Agent asks if I want to open the Vcard, but
will not let me view the message if I tell it not to open the
attachment. Rather strange actually. Im using an older version of
Agent. I attempted to upgrade once, and it stuck the latest version on
my computer and it was crippleware.