oldjag

Default Leblond 16 Tool & Die Lathe

I bought a Leblond HD 16" x 54" 10 Hp/Servoshift Tool & Die Maker lathe
a while back for my home shop. It was made in 1965. For some reason
it's called a 16" but it actually will swing 19.25" over the bed.
Anyway, I'd like to be able to turn metric threads on occasion. I know
spur gears were made for this machine to turn metric threads, but used
ones seem pretty scarce. Anyone have dimensions of what the gears
were,or perhaps how to calculate what would be needed? The shop manual
shows the gears but no dimentional data. Also, at some point I might
want to have the removable ways reground, since there is about 0.002"
wear near the chuck. Has anyone done this?

Karl Townsend

I bought a Leblond HD 16" x 54" 10 Hp/Servoshift Tool & Die Maker lathe
a while back for my home shop. It was made in 1965. For some reason
it's called a 16" but it actually will swing 19.25" over the bed.
Anyway, I'd like to be able to turn metric threads on occasion. I know
spur gears were made for this machine to turn metric threads, but used

This brings back memories. I loved this machine, it was the first lathe I
ever did serious work on. Wish I had one also.

On my 10EE, I modified a 37 tooth and a 47 tooth gear to fit in the gear
train for metric change gears. I was lucky, the diametrical pitch and
pressure angle is the same as Logan lathes. I just had to rebore and rekey
gears, purchased from Scott Logan, to fit my machine. See this web site:
http://www.lathe.com/metric_threading.htm

I don't remember the diametrical pitch, but I bet yours is the same also. I
know the change gears on my antique Leblond 16" x 120" is the same as the
10EE.

Karl