DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Aluminum Beverage Cans (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/89868-aluminum-beverage-cans.html)

Lane February 5th 05 08:08 PM

Aluminum Beverage Cans

I remember a thread on this NG about beverage cans a while ago. Here is a
series of lecture slides from Metals & Materials Engineering at the
University of British Columbia:
http://www.mmat.ubc.ca/courses/mmat3...0Study%205.pdf

There is more metal information he
http://www.mmat.ubc.ca/courses/mmat380/

The Tagge's February 6th 05 03:16 AM

Great reference:
Leads me into a question, as you are making the bulk of the can quite
quickly (a bunch of steps in less than .02 second? did I get that right?)
are there any speed beyond which you do not want to extrude the metal? Does
it have anything to do with the speed of sound in the material?
Just curious.

Robin S. February 6th 05 10:14 PM

"The Tagge's" wrote in message
Great reference:
Leads me into a question, as you are making the bulk of the can quite
quickly (a bunch of steps in less than .02 second? did I get that right?)

No. It's 0.2 seconds.

are there any speed beyond which you do not want to extrude the metal?

This is not an extrusion. It is a draw. These are different processes.

Does it have anything to do with the speed of sound in the material?

Interesing question. I believe that drawing too fast causes tearing (perhaps
due to inertia?).

Mind you, that number isn't really *all* that impressive. I mean, I'm sure
the process has been tweaked to the max, but metal forming doesn't usually
take very long anyway. We draw car body panels (~2x1.25+ meters) in easily
less than a second, and that's during tryout. Production is faster.

Very small parts which are produced in large volumes go even faster. My
instructor used to make progressive dies for electrical connectors. The
press ran at 800 stokes per minute.

Regards,

Robin

williamhenry February 7th 05 02:19 AM

recently went on a sales call to Logan aluminum in Kentucky , they make the
aluminum stock the cans are made from , over 1.5 Billion pounds a year,
quite interesting to see them start out with a slab thirty inches thick and
thirty feet long , ,