Pete

Default Harbour Freight Quality comments cross post

My comments about Harbour Freight and their service, if it plugs in or has
moving parts look elseware . I bought one of their 2.5 Kw spot welders last
summer while on a trip south of the border , brought it home , put the plug
on it and tested it on three spot welds on 20 gauge body metal. Worked fine
so I put it away till the fall planning on using it for my 47 Dodge rod
project. Well the beautiful summer weather changed and it was time to start
the 47 Dodge project. The first spot weld went ok , the second one let
massive amounts of smoke and flame from the winding ( typically not a good
thing). No problem....Harbour Freight has a good service plan.....NOT. Six
unanswered emails explaining the problem all including the many other
complaints that are already posted on the internet as well as one hour on
hold to be told there will be no warrantee as well as we would rather NOT
DEAL with Canadians. I will pull it apart and rewind it. It was a good price
for a spot welder a very bad price for a boat anchor. Save you money and but
the HTP invertig and you will find out what international service really is
about.

Just my two cents worth to avoid others from becoming victims.

Pete

"Steve Taylor" wrote in message
Hi,
Whilst l;ooking at the little Plasma cutter mentioned in the recent
thread, I saw a very very cheap TIG set , for 200 USD, which, by the
time I shipped it back here to the UK, paidduty tax, shipping etc, would
still be less than half anything I've seen here.

Any comments on this as an entry level DC TIG ?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91811

Run away screaming, or a decent deal ? BTW Can I use DC tig on stainless
steel ?

Thanks for your comments.

Steve

Tim Killian

It's too bad you had trouble with your welder, but how can you fault HF
for drawing the line on where they provide warranty support? You bought
a Chinese Miller-knockoff "gray market" in the U.S. to get a good price,
and now you expect reliable operation and full warranty service.

Doing business in Canada is a pain in the ass because of your ridiculous
system of import brokers. The import fees involved in shipping you a
replacement would probably be higher than the value of the welder itself!

Pete wrote:

[...]

Jack Hayes

Top Post For Tim Killian

Tim; HF did not mind collecting the money for the spot welder did they? Any
decent company would stand behind their product and not hide behind the fact
that the item went to CANADA. As for cross border shipping you may want to
look in mirror to see where the problem is.

Jack

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Pete

Tim, thank you for your comment , it is interesting that I live close to the
border and have in the past and will in the future continue to deal with
many of our good neighbors to the south. There are good and bad on both
sides of the border , reputable companies honour their warrantees and don't
play politics. My original comments were to a fellow that was thinking about
purchasing a low end HF TIG welder. He needs to be concerned about dealing
with HF. In my post I recommended another USA vender that in my opinion goes
out of their way to provide superior product and service. Hopefully at your
coffee break today at Harbour Freight you and your co-workers reflect on the
real meaning of "customer service" not politics.

Respectfully yours,
Pete

Pete wrote:

[...]

Steve Mellenthin

I have had no problems getting warranty service from my local HF in Ohio. I
also buy their service agreement - usually 10% of the tool purchase price.
They've never refused to take back an item I bring back as defective. That
service agreement gives me a three year warranty total. I woldn't buy their
stuff it I wer a pro but for heavy but occaisional home use the HF tools allow
me to have a capability I coun't otherwise afford. I have a dozen or so power
tools plus a bunch of hand tools. I have been let down by a set of aviation
snips, pry bars, a rotary breaker hammer, and a nail gun. The nail gun was
replaced under warranty, the rotary hammer drill died after three years of
abuse, and the snips and pry bars were throw aways.

You can get sood stuff at HF but you do have to be selective and recognize that
you and not the manufacturer are the quality control on their items.

I think the problem here is that you have to deal with a store bought item in
person. At my local they give me the impressiuon that catalog sales are
copmpletly independent of one another in tems ot service and retail sales.

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

Greybeard

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:26:56 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

Tim, thank you for your comment , it is interesting that I live close to the
border and have in the past and will in the future continue to deal with
many of our good neighbors to the south. There are good and bad on both
sides of the border , reputable companies honour their warrantees and don't
play politics. My original comments were to a fellow that was thinking about
purchasing a low end HF TIG welder. He needs to be concerned about dealing
with HF. In my post I recommended another USA vender that in my opinion goes
out of their way to provide superior product and service. Hopefully at your
coffee break today at Harbour Freight you and your co-workers reflect on the
real meaning of "customer service" not politics.

Respectfully yours,
Pete

Sorry for bursting bubbles, but my HF MIG welder has been working just
fine, thank you, for six years. I haven't had anything I've bought
from them fail suddenly, just not last as long as I'd like, but when I
go into their store, I know what I'm buying and don't expect their $29
saw to stand up to the use I'd give to a Milwaukee.

Greybeard
Waynemak

I buy some items from HF and have yet to get a dead one. I don't buy much
from them but have put some of the tools to good use and not yet had one
just fail. I now have a HF credit card that gives me 1 penny on the dollar,
so when I spend $2000, I get a $20.00 gift card. I use my credit card for
all my purchases (not just for the points) and get to spend some cheap tool
money. Its nice to look at some tools for little or no cash out of pocket, I
also have been asked for ID and who the hell is HF more than any othe
rcredit card
wrote:

[...]

Roy

Its been said before and many times before that...........Quality is
not an issue if you buy HF crap.as it does not exist in any shape form
or fashion...........

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS

easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM