DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   looking for small belts. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/88976-looking-small-belts.html)

Rex January 30th 05 05:03 PM

looking for small belts.

I have an antique hobby lathe (ca 1930s Craftsman Companion??) that uses
belts and pulleys to drive the leadscrew. The pulleys are vee'd, and
about 1/4" across the top of the vee. Overal length of the belt is 16
inches, maybe 16.25" at the outside/top of groove. Where can I get two
belts?
I think the urethane round belts would work fine as well. MSC shows
them in "make your own" but the minimum quantity is too high.
This lathe sits on a display shelf and probably won't be ever used,
but I'd like to complete it.

Boris Mohar January 30th 05 05:13 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:03:47 GMT, Rex wrote:

I have an antique hobby lathe (ca 1930s Craftsman Companion??) that uses
belts and pulleys to drive the leadscrew. The pulleys are vee'd, and
about 1/4" across the top of the vee. Overal length of the belt is 16
inches, maybe 16.25" at the outside/top of groove. Where can I get two
belts?
I think the urethane round belts would work fine as well. MSC shows
them in "make your own" but the minimum quantity is too high.
This lathe sits on a display shelf and probably won't be ever used,
but I'd like to complete it.

I once slit a belt sander sanding belt to repair an antique drill press. It
worked surprisingly well

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Greg O January 30th 05 06:02 PM

"Rex" wrote in message
.net...
I have an antique hobby lathe (ca 1930s Craftsman Companion??) that uses
belts and pulleys to drive the leadscrew. The pulleys are vee'd, and about
1/4" across the top of the vee. Overal length of the belt is 16 inches,
maybe 16.25" at the outside/top of groove. Where can I get two belts?
I think the urethane round belts would work fine as well. MSC shows
them in "make your own" but the minimum quantity is too high.
This lathe sits on a display shelf and probably won't be ever used,
but I'd like to complete it.

If it will never get used, how about a 1/4" "O" ring about 5" diameter?
also, McMaster Carr stocks 2L belts, 1/4" wide.
Greg

Gunner January 30th 05 06:31 PM

wrote:

I have an antique hobby lathe (ca 1930s Craftsman Companion??) that uses
belts and pulleys to drive the leadscrew. The pulleys are vee'd, and
about 1/4" across the top of the vee. Overal length of the belt is 16
inches, maybe 16.25" at the outside/top of groove. Where can I get two
belts?
I think the urethane round belts would work fine as well. MSC shows
them in "make your own" but the minimum quantity is too high.
This lathe sits on a display shelf and probably won't be ever used,
but I'd like to complete it.

Check your local Ace Hardware. They often keep a good selection of
those smaller belts.
Of course any bearing or belt house will have them.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Rex January 30th 05 06:54 PM

Greg O wrote:

"Rex" wrote in message
.net...

I have an antique hobby lathe (ca 1930s Craftsman Companion??) that uses
belts and pulleys to drive the leadscrew. The pulleys are vee'd, and about
1/4" across the top of the vee. Overal length of the belt is 16 inches,
maybe 16.25" at the outside/top of groove. Where can I get two belts?
I think the urethane round belts would work fine as well. MSC shows
them in "make your own" but the minimum quantity is too high.
This lathe sits on a display shelf and probably won't be ever used,
but I'd like to complete it.

If it will never get used, how about a 1/4" "O" ring about 5" diameter?
also, McMaster Carr stocks 2L belts, 1/4" wide.
Greg

An O-ring or 2 would work fine.
MSC only listed 3L, so I'll check McMaster-Carr. Thanks

Brian Lawson January 30th 05 08:54 PM

Maybe check with a GOOD vaccuum cleaner repair store too.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mike Henry January 30th 05 11:21 PM

I just needed what sounds like similar belts for a surface grinder pulley
and got them at Motion Industries for around $12 each. They're made by
Gates and called Poly Flex Belts. Mine are P/N 5M450, which might help you
get to the right area of Gates web site.

FWIW, it looks like someone is auctioning a similar set of belts on Ebay at
present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Mike

.net...

DOC January 31st 05 05:32 PM

If you can't find what you want, let me know. I have
a couple types of 1/4" round belting material and can make
something up for you in whatever size specify.

DOC

"Rex" wrote in message
nk.net...
Greg O wrote:

.net...

Spehro Pefhany January 31st 05 06:01 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:32:32 -0500, the renowned "DOC"
wrote:

If you can't find what you want, let me know. I have
a couple types of 1/4" round belting material and can make
something up for you in whatever size specify.

DOC

You're beginning to sound more and more like a babelfish translation..

Have you mentioned the junk sale on rcm yet?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Rex B January 31st 05 07:42 PM

I determined what I needed was a 2L160 in McMaster Carr. I've sold
belts all my life and I didn't know there was such an animal as a 2L.
So I went by the local Motion Industries at lunch and they will have
them this afternoon.
It's possible I end up needing something between 16 and 16.5. If
these don't fit I'll try O-rings or take Mr. Spehro's offer.
Also noticed McMaster Carr had a polycord product that you cut to
size (minus 8%), then fuse the cut ends together. That would work, but
it was real pricey.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Rex B

Mike Henry wrote:
I just needed what sounds like similar belts for a surface grinder pulley
and got them at Motion Industries for around $12 each. They're made by
Gates and called Poly Flex Belts. Mine are P/N 5M450, which might help you
get to the right area of Gates web site.

FWIW, it looks like someone is auctioning a similar set of belts on Ebay at
present.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Mike

.net...