Jim Frame

Default Cutting Decorative SS Sheet

As part of a kitchen remodel, we recently had a new range hood
installed. We plan to use a plain rectangular brushed stainless vent
pipe cover to match the hood, but the vent exits through a sloped
ceiling. The manufacturer (Ventahood) will custom-cut the vent cover,
but they want almost $290 for the work -- more than the cost of the
cover itself.

A local fab shop says they can make the cuts using either a plasma torch
or an abrasive wheel in a die grinder, but that either process will
leave a blue burn line along the cut. Before I shell out almost $300
for cutting, I'd be interested to hear about any other options that
might be available.

Thanks.

Jim Frame (530) 756-8584 756-8201 (FAX)
Frame Surveying & Mapping 609 A Street Davis, CA 95616
----------------------- Davis Community Network -------------------
Richard Ferguson

I would probably plasma cut it and then brush off any discoloration.
Industrial scotch-brite or wet-dry sandpaper will produce a brushed
finish. You could practice on the part that you will be throwing away.

Richard

Jim Frame wrote:
As part of a kitchen remodel, we recently had a new range hood
installed. We plan to use a plain rectangular brushed stainless vent
pipe cover to match the hood, but the vent exits through a sloped
ceiling. The manufacturer (Ventahood) will custom-cut the vent cover,
but they want almost $290 for the work -- more than the cost of the
cover itself.

A local fab shop says they can make the cuts using either a plasma torch
or an abrasive wheel in a die grinder, but that either process will
leave a blue burn line along the cut. Before I shell out almost $300
for cutting, I'd be interested to hear about any other options that
might be available.

Thanks.

Bob May

I'd just cut with some tin snips and trim the edges, if necessary with a
grinder.
The other thing is to do the work with a nibbleer if you don't need 0 scrap
lines cut.
The metal can be worked with a hammer and body dolly (car tool) and get the
dings out and then polish as desired.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Tim Killian

Yes, laser is the way to go. Thin SST cuts beautifully with no burr or
discoloration. Many shops will waive the programming charge if you bring
them a DXF file of the part.

"Jim Frame" wrote in message

[...]

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Jim Frame
wrote:

As part of a kitchen remodel, we recently had a new range hood
installed. We plan to use a plain rectangular brushed stainless vent
pipe cover to match the hood, but the vent exits through a sloped
ceiling. The manufacturer (Ventahood) will custom-cut the vent cover,
but they want almost $290 for the work -- more than the cost of the
cover itself.

A local fab shop says they can make the cuts using either a plasma torch
or an abrasive wheel in a die grinder, but that either process will
leave a blue burn line along the cut. Before I shell out almost $300
for cutting, I'd be interested to hear about any other options that
might be available.

Thanks.

I make custom vent hoods and duct covers out of stainless and copper.

A very thin abrasive wheel (0.045") on a 4-1/2" right angle grinder is
by far the best solution.
It cuts so fast through thin stainless steel that it doesn't have a
chance to discolor.

I do this all the time, and I have a plasma cutter, power nibbler, lots
of tin snips and power shears.
Charles A. Sherwood

ceiling. The manufacturer (Ventahood) will custom-cut the vent cover,
but they want almost $290 for the work -- more than the cost of the
cover itself.

And they guarantee it will be done well. If you take it somewhere else
and they mess it up, you may end up buying two of them.

cs