DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clausing 8520 Milling Machine refurbishment (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/88208-clausing-8520-milling-machine-refurbishment.html)

[email protected] January 25th 05 10:18 PM

Clausing 8520 Milling Machine refurbishment

Hello,

I recently inherited an old milling machine (Clausing 8520 Milling
Machine) and am looking for information regarding getting it up and
running-proper lubrication (especially motor and spindle bearings).
Does anyone have any tips (or warnings)on refurbishing/ lubrication of
this old machine?

Thanks,
Dave

Doug White January 26th 05 12:26 AM

Hello,

I recently inherited an old milling machine (Clausing 8520 Milling
Machine) and am looking for information regarding getting it up and
running-proper lubrication (especially motor and spindle bearings).
Does anyone have any tips (or warnings)on refurbishing/ lubrication of
this old machine?

There is a Yahoo discussion-group/mailing-list specifically related to
Clausing mills & lathes:

There are lots of 8520 owners on the list that will be glad to help out.

Manuals & some parts are avaialbe from Clausing/Atlas, and the general
theory is to support their efforts to keep the machines going by getting
manuals from them, rather than photocopies of questionable quality off
Ebay. It's more important for the lathes, because Clausing will send you
the correct manual for your serial number. I don't think the mill
manuals differ that much. I think the manuals are $25.

Doug White

Mike Henry January 26th 05 04:54 AM

A good start would be to get a copy of the manual from Clausing:

http://www.clausing-industrial.com/service-std.htm

AIR, they originially specified SAE 20 oil for pretty much everything, but
Vactra #2 way oil would probably be a nbetter lube to use in most places.

Are there any special problems or does it just need a clean up and lube?

oups.com...