Default Lanolin?

Hi all,
Anybody here have any idea where I can buy raw lanolin? I have googled
around and found that I can buy it in 2 fl.oz. tubes from pharmacy type
places for 5 or 6 bucks or more, but I am looking to get a few pounds,
and that is way too expensive. If I want a railroad tanker car full, I
found a few sources for that as well, but that is a bit much in the
other direction.

I checked a few chemical supply places in the local phone book
(Massachusetts) but the only 2 that would even speak to me, told me
they only sold the lab/pharma grade stuff at something like $40/Lb. I
am not going to eat this or spread it on my (or anyone elses) body, so
would prefer something more "industrial grade" like this that I found
on ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/57h9j

This guy is in Australia, so I am waiting to hear what shipping would
cost and suspect it may be pricey.
Any other leads or sources?

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) This guy is in Australia, so I am
waiting to hear what shipping would cost and suspect it may be pricey.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Then again, maybe not. Australia has a lot of sheep. That's probably where
most of the lanolin comes from. Someone is going to pay the
shipping--either the Australian "refiner" or some importer. Either way, you
end up paying.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Excellent suggestions, all.
I Googled all sorts of stuff, and never thought to try "Lanolin
gallon". I DOES get some good hits. Not as smart as I think I am I
guess.
For what it is worth, I did get a reply from the ebay seller in
Australia, he said that airmail to the USA is $9.85. Not bad, really.
However the link provided by Mr. Dickman to the soapmakers supply
place lists it for ~26.00 for 10Lbs, with about 8 bucks shipping.
Sounds like the way to go. That is a bit more than i NEED, but not so
much that any will go to waste. And the price is right.
Thanks very much for taking the time. Much appreciated!!
-AL

Larry Jaques

On 21 Jan 2005 13:47:53 -0800, the inscrutable "
spake:

Wow, you guys are awesome! Excellent suggestions, all.
I Googled all sorts of stuff, and never thought to try "Lanolin
gallon". I DOES get some good hits. Not as smart as I think I am I
guess.
For what it is worth, I did get a reply from the ebay seller in
Australia, he said that airmail to the USA is $9.85. Not bad, really.
However the link provided by Mr. Dickman to the soapmakers supply
place lists it for ~26.00 for 10Lbs, with about 8 bucks shipping.

That site beat the heck out of my reference. What does he win? g

Sounds like the way to go. That is a bit more than i NEED, but not so
much that any will go to waste. And the price is right.
Thanks very much for taking the time. Much appreciated!!

Jewelcome.

-
Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.
http://diversify.com

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:26:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

That site beat the heck out of my reference. What does he win? g

That's because I searched for lanolin lb

Paul K. Dickman

As to what I am going to do with it, I want a few pounds to make up a
big batch of "Ed's Red" bore cleaning solvent for both gun cleaning and
general small icky-thing degreasing, for myself and some friends. I
have used this w/o the lanolin and find it works great. I understand
that the lanolin makes it a bit easier on the hands and gives it much
better rust preventitive properties. After reading the Australian guys
ebay ad, it seems that the raw stuff has lots of other properties that
RCM types would find useful.

It never occured to me to look at wal-mart. Again, DUH.
As for what Paul wins, how about "THE ADORATION OF THE PEOPLE!" ?
-AL

Clif Holland

Is it time to throw in the kicker??

Are you wanting hydrous or anhydrous lanolin. There is a big difference,
especially when it comes to cleaning guns, price also is very different...

--

Clif Holland, KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

ups.com...