Dave

Default Iron pour tomorrow, Atlanta

Red Top Mtn. State Park. We're pouring skillets, Noon.
Be there early ..10 ish..

Dave, The Smith
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Dave wrote:

Red Top Mtn. State Park. We're pouring skillets, Noon.
Be there early ..10 ish..

Dave, The Smith

Sorry, someone's gotta do nightside. Pouring a skillet involves exactly
what? Well, we all have skills, built over time or not so little time.

In general, I don't look up anything that a local person has a good
explanation for. - the entire bush family excluded.

Metal melts under heat. How do you make a skillet with raised sides?

Anybody mentions China will have a bad day.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Smaller government and massive legislation = Dictatorship
The complete and total loss of personal freedom, initiative, and growth.
Roger Shoaf

"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

Red Top Mtn. State Park. We're pouring skillets, Noon.
Be there early ..10 ish..

Dave, The Smith

Sorry, someone's gotta do nightside. Pouring a skillet involves exactly
what? Well, we all have skills, built over time or not so little time.

In general, I don't look up anything that a local person has a good
explanation for. - the entire bush family excluded.

Metal melts under heat. How do you make a skillet with raised sides?

He is going to cast the iron in a sand mold. A pattern is made in the shape
of the object desired, then the pattern is placed into a box that is then
filled with an oily sand. The sand is then tamped firmly into the pattern
and then the pattern is removed. A hole is cut into the block of sand
called the sprue to pour the molten metal in, and another called a riser is
cut to allow gasses out. Sometimes channels are cut also to facilitate the
flow of the metal to different parts of the casting.

The iron is melted in a fire-proof pot (a crucible) and then it is poured
into the sprue until it comes out the riser. When the metal cools and
hardens, the sand is knocked off, the sprue and riser is cut off and the
little crusty bots are ground off.

This is the short version.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

KStahl

Dave wrote:

[...]

Isn't it simpler just to go to a store and buy one?

--
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing
- Anatole France
Johan

In article ,
KStahl wrote:

Isn't it simpler just to go to a store and buy one?

Well, shore, but that takes all the fun out'v it!

Kinda like forge-welding a chain saw chain or a motorcycle into a knife
blank, it's easier just to go buy a pattern-welded blank, but that takes
all the fun out'v it.

Tim Wescott

Johan wrote:
In article ,
KStahl wrote:

Isn't it simpler just to go to a store and buy one?

Well, shore, but that takes all the fun out'v it!

Kinda like forge-welding a chain saw chain or a motorcycle into a knife
blank, it's easier just to go buy a pattern-welded blank, but that takes
all the fun out'v it.

You make knife blanks out of entire motorcycles? Doesn't the aluminum
in the engine and transmission cause problems, not to mention all the
plastic and rubber and stuff?

--

Tim Wescott, who seems to be a smartass tonight
Wescott Design Services
Johan

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

Johan wrote:
In article ,
KStahl wrote:

Isn't it simpler just to go to a store and buy one?

Well, shore, but that takes all the fun out'v it!

Kinda like forge-welding a chain saw chain or a motorcycle into a knife
blank, it's easier just to go buy a pattern-welded blank, but that takes
all the fun out'v it.

You make knife blanks out of entire motorcycles? Doesn't the aluminum
in the engine and transmission cause problems, not to mention all the
plastic and rubber and stuff?

Yepper, that's been the problem with 'em, all that aluminum and stuff
makes them hard to weld. But they sure are pretty once you get 'em done
up.

You can get a lot of blanks out of one Harley!