DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to Springs (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/85776-how-springs.html)

Roger Jensen January 11th 05 06:35 PM

How to Springs

At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about 1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

Harold & Susan Vordos January 11th 05 07:25 PM

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
. com...
At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about

1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

Not much to go on with that, but it could be made from high carbon steel or
beryllium copper. I can't help but think that guys that can do the math
would want to know more so they could steer you the right direction.

Harold

Forger January 11th 05 07:29 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:35:47 GMT, "Roger Jensen"
wrote:

At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about 1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

This might be an interesting read for you:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/springs.html

Forger

Jack Hayes January 11th 05 11:43 PM

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
. com...
At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about

1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

One method is to obtain the large main spring from an old clock and cut the
size you need.

Jack

Roger Jensen January 12th 05 01:21 AM

Jack,

I have given thought to cutting it from something, the clock mainsprings are
a little thin for what I need. The spring from an old steel trap would be
perfect, but I understand they no longer make those.

Roger

[email protected] January 12th 05 01:47 AM

wrote:

At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about 1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

Find an old chain-saw pull-start (or weed eater, what have you) and
grab the rewind spring.Or find an old wind-up alarm clock.

[email protected] January 12th 05 01:53 AM

"Jack Hayes" wrote in message

"Roger Jensen" wrote in message
. com...
At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about

1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring

like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

One method is to obtain the large main spring from an old clock and cut

the
size you need.

Jack

OH OH!! I missed that 80 thou thickness bit.
Makes it a bit more difficult. Sounds like a spring for a sliding
padio door trolley or something - I know I've seen just what you are
describing in some door or window hardware a year or so back (when I
spent some time helping out a customer in their window and door
business)

tomcas January 12th 05 02:35 AM

Roger Jensen wrote:
At the moment all I have is the need. That need is a flat spring about 1/4"
wide .070- .085 thick and about 6" long. How would you make a spring like
that? Materials etc???

I appreciate you guys,

Roger

Go to
http://www.mcmaster.com/
and search for 9075K423 but it is only .062 thick.

Roger Shoaf January 14th 05 09:47 AM

"mrbill2" wrote in message
http://www.brownells.com #025-149-000 Flat spring stock

If you don't want to order the whole assortment, check with your local
locksmith. We would get these assortments and usually have a lot of the
wider sizes left over.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.