DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gear motor powering vert.BS ???? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/84190-gear-motor-powering-vert-bs.html)

Craig January 4th 05 02:09 AM

gear motor powering vert.BS ????

I need some opinions on a project. I have an older Mont. Ward 16" wood
vertical bandsaw that Im converting to metal. I have a Leeson DC gear
motor, will it work? I have the speed controller also. It is 40 or 45
to 1 reduction, but only 1/4 hp, about 62 rpm. Will this have enough
power and torque to cut metal? I have never been around these motors
before, so its all new to me.
Thank you,
Craig

Ron Moore January 4th 05 05:01 AM

Probably not. Even with the gear reduction, at 1:1 on the saw wheel,
you're running about 75fpm, but you're loosing a lot of mechanical
advantage because of the diameter of that wheel. It will work, but
don't crowd the blade. I'm afraid it will stall fairly easily. I've
looked at using a reeves drive from an old hospital-grade treadmill.
Variable cone pulley will give more torque at low speed where it's
necessary.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Grant Erwin January 4th 05 05:43 AM

Craig wrote:

I need some opinions on a project. I have an older Mont. Ward 16" wood
vertical bandsaw that Im converting to metal. I have a Leeson DC gear
motor, will it work? I have the speed controller also. It is 40 or 45
to 1 reduction, but only 1/4 hp, about 62 rpm. Will this have enough
power and torque to cut metal? I have never been around these motors
before, so its all new to me.
Thank you,
Craig

FYI I run a 3/4 hp motor on my metal-cutting VBS. I don't think much
less would work. - GWE

Ned Simmons January 4th 05 02:58 PM

In article 1104804558.032829.287870
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, says...
I need some opinions on a project. I have an older Mont. Ward 16" wood
vertical bandsaw that Im converting to metal. I have a Leeson DC gear
motor, will it work? I have the speed controller also. It is 40 or 45
to 1 reduction, but only 1/4 hp, about 62 rpm. Will this have enough
power and torque to cut metal? I have never been around these motors
before, so its all new to me.

While I agree with Grant and Ron that a larger motor would
be desirable, I think 1/4HP would work as long as you you
don't plan on pushing the saw too hard. My 16" DoAll has
the original 3/4HP motor which I usually power with a
static converter, so it's probably producing around 1/2 HP.
I've cut steel plate up to 3" thick and 4" aluminum plate
with no problem. Since the aluminum is ideally cut at
higher speed(lower reduction ratio), it actually puts more
load on the motor.

A 1-1/2:1 or 2:1 reduction between the reducer and saw
would be good if you want to maximize capacity at the
expense of speed on non-ferrous materials, but I think for
small work a direct drive would be OK.

Make sure the motor controller is well protected from
overloads -- if you do really lean on the saw that DC motor
will pull as much current as the drive will deliver.

Ned Simmons

Craig January 4th 05 05:32 PM

I do have a six inch diam. pulley I can put on the saw wheel shaft
(motor is 21/4"dia.) to drop it down a little.

JMartin957 January 5th 05 04:43 AM

I do have a six inch diam. pulley I can put on the saw wheel shaft
(motor is 21/4"dia.) to drop it down a little.

Better check the charts to see if a v belt will handle the torque. My guess -
it won't. Chain drive might work.

John Martin