DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Erector set tool idea (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/83880-erector-set-tool-idea.html)

carl mciver December 31st 04 08:36 PM

Erector set tool idea

It came to mind some time ago the idea of using 2" square tubing like
what's used on trailer hitches to make reconfigurable tools for the things I
don't have room to leave in place in my not so big garage.
For example, I could make a H or C press, small hoist, temporary work
table, or other stuff by having the two inch tubing in "standard" lengths
with holes evenly distributed along the length, and having the 2 1/2" stuff
as connectors, angle fittings, and so forth to make the necessary
connections. I was thinking of using the standard hitch pin in appropriate
sized holes to hold things together.
Then I got to thinking about what kind of load a standard hitch pin
would be made to hole, and what kind of loads I could expect to be working
with safely. What kind of engagement would be necessary to keep movement to
a minimum in high stress environments of say, a C press.

I know some folks use their trailer hitches for other than intended
purposes, and someone told me that he uses all his tools mounted on this
kind of tubing so that he can take them off of his workbench when they're in
his way.

Am I thinking safely here? Anything I need to be concerned about?

Wayne Lundberg December 31st 04 10:44 PM

"carl mciver" wrote in message
hlink.net...
It came to mind some time ago the idea of using 2" square tubing like
what's used on trailer hitches to make reconfigurable tools for the things

you are right on track with a great idea. A client of mine developed a
series of fabrication tools using his pickup as the base and the trailer
hitch slider as the coupling to a bunch of tools he developed, from bending
to shearing, in effect a portable fab shop.

Wayne

carl mciver January 1st 05 12:23 AM

That sounds very interesting. Is there more you can tell me about that
project?
I'm open to all ideas.

RoyJ January 2nd 05 06:53 PM

Adding a second reciever about 12" to 18" away does wonders for the
rigidity. Just weld a second tube
www.northerntool.com Item# 330680 Price $10.99
on the side of the frame mounting plate on the hitch. Make sure the two
tubes are square on the attachment will not fit in :)