Default Source for stainless steel tubing (small diameter)

I am wanting to get into amateur radio antenna building most plans for
a j pole antenna I have seen use 1/2 inch coper tubing. I was wondering
if I could use stainless steel to make it rust proof. Any ideas where
one could cheaply get small diameter stainless stell tubing?
Any of you out there work with amateure radio antennas?

RoyJ

Stainless is readily available, it's non rusting, and is also much
siffer than copper so you can use thinner wall. Downside is that it ahs
much higher resitance than copper, tends to mess up both the gain from
the antenna as well as the exact dimensions.

wrote:

I am wanting to get into amateur radio antenna building most plans for
a j pole antenna I have seen use 1/2 inch coper tubing. I was wondering
if I could use stainless steel to make it rust proof. Any ideas where
one could cheaply get small diameter stainless stell tubing?
Any of you out there work with amateure radio antennas?

Jerry Martes

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wanting to get into amateur radio antenna building most plans for
a j pole antenna I have seen use 1/2 inch coper tubing. I was wondering
if I could use stainless steel to make it rust proof. Any ideas where
one could cheaply get small diameter stainless stell tubing?
Any of you out there work with amateure radio antennas?

Stainless would work OK for a j pole. You probably couldnt notice the
difference by ear when operating at frequencies below 400 MHz.
It has always been my experience with HAM antennas that I wouldnt invest
much time in any design that wasnt close to *the best* performance. Copper
is really a good performer for antennas. Aluminum, is often a necessary
compromise. Stainless is great for automotive mounted antennas.
I suggest you post your question on Rec RadioAmatuer Antenna. There are
some *very* well informed guys there.

Jerry

Glenn Ashmore

I tried building a stainless QFH antenna to pick up weather satellites but
the resistance is so much higher than copper that it turned out way off the
target 137 Mhz. I ended up with 1/4" hard wall ACR copper and nickle plated
it. If you want to try stainless McMaster has 50' rolls of 304 stainless
tube that bends pretty well.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wanting to get into amateur radio antenna building most plans for
a j pole antenna I have seen use 1/2 inch coper tubing. I was wondering
if I could use stainless steel to make it rust proof. Any ideas where
one could cheaply get small diameter stainless stell tubing?
Any of you out there work with amateure radio antennas?

Jerry Martes wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Would making the stainless steel j pole elements slightly larger in
diamter compared with a copper j pole plan over come the higher
resistance?

I thou8ght about aluminum but dont have the capability to weld it. I
thought with stainless I could fishmouth the tubes and weld them
together. I am just thinking at this point.

What about using EMT tubing? Is this rust resistant? It is cheap and
light and easy to work with.

I love fooling around in my garage with stuff. I was wondering if it
was possible maybe to make a few bucks doing this as a hobby. I have a
seocond child due any day and money will soon start to be hard to come
by!

Think this is a possibility? ANything else out there a guy could do in
his garage in his spare time to make a buck?

Why not just use copper pipe? It won't rust. You could weld them up if
you don't want to use pipe fittings.

axolotl

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I tried building a stainless QFH antenna to pick up weather satellites but
the resistance is so much higher than copper that it turned out way off the
target 137 Mhz.

A change in resistance will not change the resonant frequency.
Resistance will affect the Q and bandwidth.

Kevin Gallimore

Copper is kind of ugly and tarnishes which I would think would increase
the resistance over time.

Jerry Martes

This is your project and you can use any material you want. But you have
no reason to *not* use copper because of the degradation of the electrical
characteristics when it gets tarnished. The RF resistance of the
tarnished looking copper wont be degraded.
I havent seen the post where you indicated the frequency this j-pole will
operate.

If your pervious post about making money by building j-pole antennas for
HAM use implies that you think there is a profit to be had by building
j-poles, I'd advise you to get the orders first.

Jerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Copper is kind of ugly and tarnishes which I would think would increase
the resistance over time.

john

axolotl wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I tried building a stainless QFH antenna to pick up weather satellites but
the resistance is so much higher than copper that it turned out way off the
target 137 Mhz.

A change in resistance will not change the resonant frequency.
Resistance will affect the Q and bandwidth.

Kevin Gallimore

the resisatnce of the stainless is a pure resistance but it is in
parallel with the radiation resistance/ reactance causing a mismatch
with the transmission line with the associated standing waves. This
factor probably caused the off freq tuning since the transmission line
became resonant.

John
axolotl

john wrote:

the resisatnce of the stainless is a pure resistance but it is in
parallel with the radiation resistance/ reactance causing a mismatch
with the transmission line with the associated standing waves. This
factor probably caused the off freq tuning since the transmission line
became resonant.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Kevin Gallimore
axolotl

john wrote:

Any bad metal to metal connection can act like a mixer diode and cause
intermodulation if other sources of rf are getting picked up by the
antenna.

Magnetic materials do not require an additional source of RF to generate
intermod because the material itself is nonlinear. A "rusty bolt" diode
doesn't need two sources of RF for the same reason.

Kevin Gallimore

Jerry Martes wrote:
This is your project and you can use any material you want. But you

have
no reason to *not* use copper because of the degradation of the

electrical
characteristics when it gets tarnished. The RF resistance of the
tarnished looking copper wont be degraded.
I havent seen the post where you indicated the frequency this

j-pole will
operate.

If your pervious post about making money by building j-pole

antennas for
HAM use implies that you think there is a profit to be had by

building
j-poles, I'd advise you to get the orders first.

Jerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Copper is kind of ugly and tarnishes which I would think would

increase
the resistance over time.

I guess I meant I dont like the look of tarnished copper.

I thought maybe there would be some pocket change selling a few on ebay
or something but I dont know how you would ship a j pole. It would be
awful long.

I am mainly wanting it for the two meter band and maybe 440. I would
like something I could put up and forget about for many years.

If I used 1/2 or 3/4 inch tubing in ss, how could I bend it?

Also, would an antenna made out of emt result in similar
characteristics of and identical one made of stainless? Does emt have
simialar charactieristics as ss?

As far as the money thing, I wlikme to build things with my hands in my
garage and have always wanted to find ways to make some money on the
side doing this but I dont have as many skills as a lot of you out
there. I have a baby coming any day now and with a family of 4 money is
hard to come by! Any of you guys have ideas? I am not wanting to get
rich but do something I enjoy on the weekends or so maybe to sell to
make some extra money. I always get ideas then talk myself out of it
thinking it wont work or someone else talks me out of it.

john

axolotl wrote:

john wrote:

Any bad metal to metal connection can act like a mixer diode and cause
intermodulation if other sources of rf are getting picked up by the
antenna.

Magnetic materials do not require an additional source of RF to generate
intermod because the material itself is nonlinear. A "rusty bolt" diode
doesn't need two sources of RF for the same reason.

Kevin Gallimore

The distortion and nonlinear problems occur when the iron is magneticly
saturated. This results in radiation of harmonics of the fundimental
frequency. When another signal is present you get intermod products.
The sum or difference of the two signals and of any modulation that in
on the signals. IF one signal is modulated by a 10kc. tone there wil be
a intermod product every 10kc. away from the fundimental signal at
diminishing powers.

John
axolotl

john wrote:

The distortion and nonlinear problems occur when the iron is magneticly
saturated.

Well, no. A look at a hysteresis curve as it passes through zero will
illustrate this. Google "passive intermodulation" and you can read why
you don't use stainless connectors when it matters. But I suspect that
I, along with (pick your favorite antenna textbook author)will not be
able to convince you of this. So we will again have to agree to disagree.

Kevin Gallimore

jim rozen

In article , axolotl says...

A look at a hysteresis curve as it passes through zero will
illustrate this. Google "passive intermodulation" and you can read why
you don't use stainless connectors when it matters.

Or read the Trompeter connector catalog.

Most folks who gold-plate connectors use a nickel strike under
the gold. Ni, being ferromagnetic, causes problems with IMD on
extremely low-level signal lines. Trompeter took great pains
to develop a pulse plating process to put down gold on their
contacts *without* the Ni strike, to avoid this problem.

I found this out when I was trying to locate connectors with
very low remanent magnetization.

I also don't thing that plain copper tubing would work well
for an antenna, the skin effect will cause most of the rf
currents to flow along the tanished exterior. Solution might
be to paint the outside.

Jim

please reply to: