distracted

Default Miter Gears

I am looking to make a couple of tables that raise and lower. Each
would have a handle at one end, which when turned lifts or lowers the
top. The proposal is to use 2 screws linked to the handle shaft by a 2
pairs of miter gears.

I am having trouble finding an econmical source for suitable miter
gears. They do not need to be high quality or extremely large, but
need to accept/have up to a 3/4" diameter bore. They could even be a
strong plastic. Anyone have a suggestion where I could find something
suitable; preferrably in Canada?

Harold & Susan Vordos

"distracted" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking to make a couple of tables that raise and lower. Each
would have a handle at one end, which when turned lifts or lowers the
top. The proposal is to use 2 screws linked to the handle shaft by a 2
pairs of miter gears.

I am having trouble finding an econmical source for suitable miter
gears. They do not need to be high quality or extremely large, but
need to accept/have up to a 3/4" diameter bore. They could even be a
strong plastic. Anyone have a suggestion where I could find something
suitable; preferrably in Canada?

Both Browning and Boston Gear sell such critters here in the States. I
can't imagine you couldn't find them in Canada as well. They tend to come
with stock bores and are not heat treated so they can be modified to your
particular requirements, or used as they come. You could probably select a
gear of the right diameter and bore size with a little luck.
Here's a link to one supplier:

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/Direct.asp...4&CP=Gears.htm

If you don't find what you're looking for here, do a search for "miter
gears" on http://www.dogpile.com/ where you'll find a large number of
suppliers that sell online.

Harold

..

Harold

Leo Lichtman

"distracted" wrote: I am having trouble finding an econmical source for
suitable miter gears. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old car jacks?

Ken Sterling

I am looking to make a couple of tables that raise and lower. Each
would have a handle at one end, which when turned lifts or lowers the
top. The proposal is to use 2 screws linked to the handle shaft by a 2
pairs of miter gears.

I am having trouble finding an econmical source for suitable miter
gears. They do not need to be high quality or extremely large, but
need to accept/have up to a 3/4" diameter bore. They could even be a
strong plastic. Anyone have a suggestion where I could find something
suitable; preferrably in Canada?

Is it possible you may be able to use a worm and worm wheel? You
could make those on your lathe probably quicker than you can find the
proper miter gears you're looking for.
Ken

I used to work where the main computer console table was as you
describe, except they used a link chain and a removable handle. The
chain wrapped around sprockets on 4 jack screws within the table top
and raised and lowered the top about 18". It was a fairly substantial
table, the computer monitors were pretty heavy as was the card reader
and other gear. The rear jack screws had square ends recessed on top,
the crank fit either one. It was set up with such substantial movement
so the operators could either work standing or in an office chair.
Management didn't allow lounging around so they were run to the top and
the crank handles kept elsewhere.

Stan

Bugs

Go to a local RV supply store and ask for a cataogue on trailer jacks.
They all come with bevel gears and worm drives exactly like you
described.
Bugs

Ken Grunke

distracted wrote:
I am looking to make a couple of tables that raise and lower. Each
would have a handle at one end, which when turned lifts or lowers the
top. The proposal is to use 2 screws linked to the handle shaft by a 2
pairs of miter gears.

I am having trouble finding an econmical source for suitable miter
gears. They do not need to be high quality or extremely large, but
need to accept/have up to a 3/4" diameter bore. They could even be a
strong plastic. Anyone have a suggestion where I could find something
suitable; preferrably in Canada?

Two ideas:
Volvo screw jacks are quite nice.

My Craftsman tabletop 12" planer has bevel gears and two vertical screws.

Ken Grunke

Gunner

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:15:46 -0600, Ken Grunke
wrote:

distracted wrote:
I am looking to make a couple of tables that raise and lower. Each
would have a handle at one end, which when turned lifts or lowers the
top. The proposal is to use 2 screws linked to the handle shaft by a 2
pairs of miter gears.

I am having trouble finding an econmical source for suitable miter
gears. They do not need to be high quality or extremely large, but
need to accept/have up to a 3/4" diameter bore. They could even be a
strong plastic. Anyone have a suggestion where I could find something
suitable; preferrably in Canada?

Two ideas:
Volvo screw jacks are quite nice.

Indeed. When I bought my wife a 84 Volvo some years ago, it was
missing the jack. I believe I paid $5 for two of them at the local
wrecking yard. One remains in her car, and the other, slightly
modified, works in conjuction with my Simplex jack for lifting
purposes.

Gunner

My Craftsman tabletop 12" planer has bevel gears and two vertical screws.

Ken Grunke

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

tim

distracted wrote:
I am looking to make a couple of tables that raise and lower. Each
would have a handle at one end, which when turned lifts or lowers the
top. The proposal is to use 2 screws linked to the handle shaft by a

2
pairs of miter gears.

I am having trouble finding an econmical source for suitable miter
gears. They do not need to be high quality or extremely large, but
need to accept/have up to a 3/4" diameter bore. They could even be a
strong plastic. Anyone have a suggestion where I could find

something
suitable; preferrably in Canada?

http://www.mcmaster.com/ has them for $25 each on there online
catalog