Default Update on Mystery Bolt from Clausing 8540

I took the fastener off of the Clausing 8540 over arm and it is
actually a nut and not a bolt. It looks to be either a 1/2-13 or 5/8-11
thread and the top of the nut looks like a SHCS. However, the internal
pattern looks exactly like the inside of a 12 point socket. I have no
idea what this nut is called or where to find the appropriate bit or
key to remove it properly. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Steve

DoN. Nichols

In article . com,
wrote:
I took the fastener off of the Clausing 8540 over arm and it is
actually a nut and not a bolt. It looks to be either a 1/2-13 or 5/8-11
thread and the top of the nut looks like a SHCS. However, the internal
pattern looks exactly like the inside of a 12 point socket. I have no
idea what this nut is called or where to find the appropriate bit or
key to remove it properly. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Have you *tried* using Allen keys in it? It may simply be
designed so you have more options of how to orient the Allen key.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
I took the fastener off of the Clausing 8540 over arm and it is
actually a nut and not a bolt. It looks to be either a 1/2-13 or

5/8-11
thread and the top of the nut looks like a SHCS. However, the

internal
pattern looks exactly like the inside of a 12 point socket. I have

no
idea what this nut is called or where to find the appropriate bit or
key to remove it properly. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Have you *tried* using Allen keys in it? It may simply be
designed so you have more options of how to orient the Allen key.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703)

938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

That has crossed my mind and I am going to try that, however I do not
think that is the case. Right now I do not have an allen wrench big
enough for the nut. I would say it will take an Allen wrench at least a
1/2" across. Thanks, Steve

Richard J Kinch

writes:

I took the fastener off of the Clausing 8540 over arm and it is
actually a nut and not a bolt. It looks to be either a 1/2-13 or 5/8-11
thread and the top of the nut looks like a SHCS.

You need a 1/2" hex wrench, rather hard to find.

Harbor Freight has a long set in a metal box containing this size.

http://www.truetex.com/moveclausing.htm
Gunner

On 1 Jan 2005 12:58:04 -0800, wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

1/2" it is, at least on mine..hummmmm

Pause.....

pant pant..back now..

I just went out and checked mine and its just like yours and yes, a
1/2" allen fits. Id never noticed mine before being this way, as the
allen always fit just fine. If you are short an allen wrench, simply
stack a couple nuts on the appropriat sized hex bolt, and use them to
turn the head of the hexbolt, which is inserted into the fastener.
Sometimes a tiny tackweld will keep em together if its really tight.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Gunner

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 16:09:59 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article . com,
says...
I took the fastener off of the Clausing 8540 over arm and it is
actually a nut and not a bolt. It looks to be either a 1/2-13 or 5/8-11
thread and the top of the nut looks like a SHCS. However, the internal
pattern looks exactly like the inside of a 12 point socket. I have no
idea what this nut is called or where to find the appropriate bit or
key to remove it properly. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Steve

It's an Allenut...

http://www.mjvail.com/holokrome/dd_allenuts.html

A regular hex key will fit.

Ned Simmons

Ill be damned. Thanks Ned! First time Ive paid much attention to
those.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

That's it Ned...Thanks -Steve