Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nick

Default OT. I give up and come back here Burglar alarms

(1) I have just purchased a wireless SecurePro burglar alarm. In an
unusually rash moment (we had been broken into for the 3rd time) I
bought without my usual obsessive research. Needless to say I now find
I am not happy. Reponse from the vendor has been umm...

(2) Has anyone heard about Securepro?

(3) My main problem is that the PIRs have two modes. Test and Working.
You stick them on a wall in a likely place and in Test mode you walk
around and they flick on and off to show a "catch".

(4) The base unit also flashes a LED to show a "catch". This worked
great.

(5) The PIRS have a 3-minute "rest period" after they made their last
catch in Working Mode. Saves batteries when there is a lot of movement
in the house when I am home, and a "catch" has already set the alarm
off. This I believ is standard enough.

I put them in Working Mode, and waited the required (and carefully
timed plus 30 seconds) 3-minute "rest period" then walked into the
room and walked the same places as I did in the test.

_As far as I could understand_ (as indicated by a LED flash on PIR and
on base station) I was not "caught" until I had walked in quite a few
places around the room, and the area of catch seemed a lot less than
it was under "test". But within maybe 5-15 seconds I _was_ caught,
after varying amounts of jumping about. So the unit was not having its
3-minute "sulk".

(6) The guy who sold me the unit "failed to understand" and suggested
I moved the base unti to where it could communicate better with the
PIRs. See Para (4)

Any thoughts? Have I made a bad buy? Is this pretty standard?

Also, does anyone know if these things have a sort of standard of
digital coding. Could I try a PIR from another maker and expect it to
work?

Appreciate any helpful input. That includes a genuine "I had one of
those and they are crap" etc.