Ronnie

Default How do you braze steel...?

It's been many a year since I brazed something, but I had the occasion
to try the other day...it sucked. Using an ox/acet brazing tip and new,
prefluxed rod, clean material, I heated the parent material red hot,
almost to the point of puddling. I kept the secondary material nice and
red as well, and began adding the brass by laying the unmelted tip of
the rod into the inferno and applying heat to the rod so it would melt
and flow out across the hot material.

Did it work...hell no! As the torch melted the rod, it "spattered" and
popped, kinda blowing itself out onto the parent and secondary metal;
looked like a smoked up, ****ty stick weld that didn't penetrate. My
torch was going pretty good, with a brazing tip and the small,
blue/white cone inside the flame. I know brazing looks better than
this, and the brass flows out nice and smooth with no fuss, no muss.
HELP !!!!

Ronnie

Ed Huntress

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You probably got the steel too hot, from your description. When brazing,
don't heat the rod. And be sure to keep that inner cone off the steel. Any
oxidizing at all will make your brazing a mess.

You'll get more detailed tips from others, I'm sure. Having made all those
mistakes myself, but still being an amateur, I give out only amateur advice
on brazing and welding. g

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

bw

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Too hot. Use just enough heat on base material to allow melting rod to flow
into the heat. Just like soldering, except hotter.

Don Foreman

Find someone to teach you how to braze. It is dirt simple but I
don't think you'll learn nearly as well from reading as you would from
10 minutes of hands-on instruction and demo.

I'm in Minneapolis. If you are nearby, drop me an email, I think
we'd have you making good brazed joints right quick with a visit.

On 21 Dec 2004 21:28:36 -0800, "Ronnie" wrote:

[...]

Forger

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:18:09 -0000, "Leon Heller"
wrote:

When I made a screwdriver on a metalworking course 40 years ago, I used
brass shavings mixed with flux (a blue paste). The molten brass flowed into
the joint between the blade and the handle very nicely.

Leon

Leon

I've heard of silver solder in a paste but not brass. Was this a *home
made* concoction, if so do you recall what was used for the paste flux
(all I know of is the powdered stuff) ?

Forger
Ecnerwal

In article .com,
"Ronnie" wrote:

It's been many a year since I brazed something, but I had the occasion
to try the other day...it sucked. Using an ox/acet brazing tip and new,
prefluxed rod, clean material, I heated the parent material red hot,
almost to the point of puddling.

Too hot, by far. You also don't mention applying any flux to the joint
(prefluxed rod alone does not do it).

Tom Gardner

Too hot! Read the rest of the posts. I would add that you need to tune
your flame by adding oxygen slowly untill the "feather just
dissapears...thus a "Neutral" flame. If you add too mush oxygen to a pointy
flame it is a "Reducing" flame and will break-down metals and cause brass
separation and steel out-gassing and poping. If the flame is too rich with
Acet., ( big feather) it will contaminate the piece with carbon. ...or
something like that.

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Leon Heller

wrote:

When I made a screwdriver on a metalworking course 40 years ago, I used
brass shavings mixed with flux (a blue paste). The molten brass flowed
into
the joint between the blade and the handle very nicely.

Leon

Leon

I've heard of silver solder in a paste but not brass. Was this a *home
made* concoction, if so do you recall what was used for the paste flux
(all I know of is the powdered stuff) ?

The flux was the blue paste, I mixed it with the brass shavings.

Leon

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
Too hot! Read the rest of the posts. I would add that you need to tune
your flame by adding oxygen slowly untill the "feather just
dissapears...thus a "Neutral" flame. If you add too mush oxygen to a

pointy
flame it is a "Reducing" flame and will break-down metals and cause brass
separation and steel out-gassing and poping. If the flame is too rich

with
Acet., ( big feather) it will contaminate the piece with carbon. ...or
something like that.

Reducing flame is carbon rich. Oxygen rich flame (hot blue/white cone) is
an oxidizing flame. A neutral flame is desirable for brazing.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
That is true on Earth...but, on MY home planet....

Harold

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 21:44:05 -0800, Joshua Putnam
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've heard of silver solder in a paste but not brass. Was this a *home
made* concoction, if so do you recall what was used for the paste flux
(all I know of is the powdered stuff) ?

I use a blue paste flux with brass, made by GasFlux. It's around $10 for
a 1-lb tub, I get mine from www.henryjames.com.

Furnace brazing is generally done with a paste of bronze (spelter) and
flux. It is "buttered" on the joint, the joint is assembled, and the
part is "baked".

d-i-y sliding steel double gate T i m UK diy 20 April 29th 04 03:11 PM
Steel Choice? Paul Batozech Metalworking 5 April 28th 04 09:51 PM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 06:24 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 01:18 PM
blue steel for carving tools? Bob Swinney Metalworking 7 July 17th 03 01:39 AM