williamhenry

Default tirechain recommendations?

looking to purchase a set as after last year I have decided that I need to
be better prepared?

after looking on the web I am totally confused

vehicle is a dodge Dakota crew cab 2wd?

chains on all tires or just driven axle?

cable or link type?

RoyJ

2wd pickup is best served by getting some weight in the back. Big
problem is getting some weight that will stay where it is supposed to if
you run into something. Concrete blocks and old engines tend to come
sailing though the cab when you hit a snow bank. Best I 've ever seen
was a piece of steel plate as a bed liner.

But you asked about chains: In terms of increasing traction you have
cables, standard link chains, toothed link chains, and for serious off
road you can get double linked (twice as many cross links) chains. Some
vehicles (most cars) can only use the cable type due to lack of
clearance. Much of the clearnace problems is on the sides when you turn.

I suspect that your PU will take the standard chains , see your owners
manual. You can get a quick check by looking at the clearance from the
tire tread to both sides and to the top when the wheel is fully
compressed.

Cheers.
williamhenry wrote:
looking to purchase a set as after last year I have decided that I need to
be better prepared?

after looking on the web I am totally confused

vehicle is a dodge Dakota crew cab 2wd?

chains on all tires or just driven axle?

cable or link type?

williamhenry

thanks I have a couple of large angle plates that I use for traction, I bolt
them to the frame though the existing rear bed bolts but I needed more
traction last year , I haven't looked at snow tires yet though,

should I put them on the front tires as well?

Jon Danniken

williamhenry wrote:
looking to purchase a set as after last year I have decided that I need

be better prepared?

after looking on the web I am totally confused

vehicle is a dodge Dakota crew cab 2wd?

chains on all tires or just driven axle?

cable or link type?

I might that when you purchase the bungy things to tension them with, you
purchase an extra set and leave it unopened. You may never need it, but
when you do you will *really* be glad to have it.

Jon

Randy Zimmerman

Invest in a spare set of wheels and mount some studded tires. If you use
the studs in the Winter season they will never wear out. Putting chains on
and taking them off is not a pleasant job.
I used truck inner tubes filled with sand in the back for weight. In a
realy bad situation you had a ready source of tractionimprover.
Randy

"williamhenry" wrote in message
looking to purchase a set as after last year I have decided that I need to
be better prepared?

after looking on the web I am totally confused

vehicle is a dodge Dakota crew cab 2wd?

chains on all tires or just driven axle?

cable or link type?

MP Toolman

I agree that nothing beats chains for traction, but they are a pain to put on
and take off -- and with the vehicles I have had the ride ends up being pretty
bad on everything except soft snow or mud. I'd consider a good set of snow
tires. I used to think that all season tires were adequate until I tried a set
of real snow tires. Now I am hooked. I have a set of Bridgestone Blizaks on
my Cooper. Until it runs out of ground clearance, it feels like it has four
wheel drive! A side benefit is that the aluminum wheels stay in the garage and
never see salt.

Mill

Subject: tirechain recommendations?

RoyJ

You need a fair amount of weight, perhaps 400 or so pounds, should go
fairly close to the rear axle centerline. Further back and you increase
the "polar moment of inertia" and is tends to spin out. Bolting them
down is an EXCELLENT idea.

I really don't see much use for chains on the front for normal snow. If
you get the nasty ice storms like you see in Georga then you might
consider front chains. Ya gotta go, ya gotta stop, and ya gotta steer.

Consider some new tires. A full set of new, agressive All Terrain tires
does wonders. I do not like the Mud Terrain type tires for most normal
winter driving (mixed dry, snow, wet, slush, road driving). The big lugs
are great in deep snow but are really treacherous on ice or wet/slushy
asphalt.

I'd put some decent tires on, add the 400 pounds, keep a set of chains
with the cross bar teeth and you should be good to go. Won't keep up
with a decent 4x4 but better than 98% of the other drivers.

One last thing: keep your speed down to 35-45mph with chains on. Take
them off as soon as possible, stay off bare pavement

For what it is worth: I used to borrow a 3/4 ton 4wd pickup with a plow
and the bed full to the top with sand. Not a problem to plow 20" of snow
out of long country driveways without chains.

williamhenry wrote:
thanks I have a couple of large angle plates that I use for traction, I bolt
them to the frame though the existing rear bed bolts but I needed more
traction last year , I haven't looked at snow tires yet though,

should I put them on the front tires as well?

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:11:15 -0600, "williamhenry"
calmly ranted:

thanks I have a couple of large angle plates that I use for traction, I bolt
them to the frame though the existing rear bed bolts but I needed more
traction last year , I haven't looked at snow tires yet though,

should I put them on the front tires as well?

I recently heard that snow tires are actually for ice and
don't work well in deep snow. (Confirmation, guys?)

In CA, chains are required on all 4 tires, in OR, just on the drive
axle. Check your state laws for your own requirements.

I'm sure glad we don't get much snow up here in Grass Pants.

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Forger

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:19:10 GMT, "Randy Zimmerman"
wrote:

Invest in a spare set of wheels and mount some studded tires. If you use
the studs in the Winter season they will never wear out. Putting chains on
and taking them off is not a pleasant job.
I used truck inner tubes filled with sand in the back for weight. In a
realy bad situation you had a ready source of tractionimprover.
Randy

Yep, if you dont have 4wheel drive I wouldnt chain up the front. If
you want traction all thru winter you dont want to have to keep
mucking with chains, off on decent days, back on when it turns bad.
Studs are the way to go unless you do some serious off-roading. Some
states have restrictions on what months you have to remove them.
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

Invest in a spare set of wheels and mount some studded tires. If you use
the studs in the Winter season they will never wear out. Putting chains on
and taking them off is not a pleasant job.
I used truck inner tubes filled with sand in the back for weight. In a
realy bad situation you had a ready source of tractionimprover.
Randy

Yep, if you dont have 4wheel drive I wouldnt chain up the front. If
you want traction all thru winter you dont want to have to keep
mucking with chains, off on decent days, back on when it turns bad.
Studs are the way to go unless you do some serious off-roading. Some
states have restrictions on what months you have to remove them.

Virginia made studs legal for a few years, and then outlawed
then again. AFIK, that is where the matter sits today.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Ken Cutt

williamhenry wrote:

looking to purchase a set as after last year I have decided that I need to
be better prepared?

after looking on the web I am totally confused

vehicle is a dodge Dakota crew cab 2wd?

chains on all tires or just driven axle?

cable or link type?

Snow comes in all types and that changes what works best . I carry
chains in everything . Lots of good suggestions already . The road I
live on is low traffic so see's snow plows last . I think if the problem
is hard pack or ice , studs are the simplest solution . If its wet heavy
snow , chains are the only option worth looking at . Cable chains are
simple to put on , just do not spin them or they will be history . If
you have steep hills then steel cross links are very good but max speed
drops way off compared to cables . Warning . I have slid backwards with
steel chains spinning , guess everything has it's limits ;-) and some
one has to test them . Steel chains need something to make sure if you
throw one it comes off the outside . If lost inward they wipe out brake
lines or wrap up tight enough only a cutting torch removes them . I know
both from experience :-( . I use heavy rubber tarp straps , two per
wheel . As to putting them on front wheels of two wheel rear drives . I
like it as being able to steer is always a plus ;-) . If I have two sets
I would always put them on , belt and suspender guy I guess . My advice
would be to phone up some local trucking firms and ask them what works
best in your area . Local advice is what you really need . Real snow
tires beat Allseasons by a wide margin and these days they make some
exceptional ones . Luck
Ken Cutt