Gunner

Default Escape the rat race

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Gunner

Subject: Escape the rat race
From: Gunner

Date: 12/18/2004 9:54 PM Pacific Standard Time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&item=3860635

016&rd=1

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

To Cold !!!!

Best Regards
Tom.

So stay inside with the toys G

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Peter T. Keillor III

From: Gunner

Date: 12/18/2004 9:54 PM Pacific Standard Time

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0&item=3860635

016&rd=1

snip sig

To Cold !!!!

Best Regards
Tom.

So stay inside with the toys G

Gunner

snip sig

Tom just packed up and left Chicago for Arizona. I bet there's no way
he'd consider Iowa. It's 1 deg F outside here right now (Midland,
MI). When we retire, it's back to south Texas.

Pete Keillor
Cliff

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:54:17 GMT, Gunner

I wondered what happened to that guy a few years ago that
was going to move to Iowa (IIRC) & start a new machine shop ......

Same guy?
--
Cliff
Sven

To Cold !!!!

We have -22 this morning in North Central Mn. I bet Iowa is quite balmy in
comparison this morning.

Steve

Charles Morrill

I dunno Gunner...one might find oneself literally fighting off a
herd of Rattus Norvegicus for some space at the Kerosun heater till the
money runs out...

Charles Morrill

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:54:17 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Yabbut you'd have to -LIVE- in EyeOhWay fer that. Pass.
It's a nice Shop with Attached House, though.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Jon

Boy howdy that would be illegle in Oregon. Can't have a commercial business
on farmland. The tree huggers would hate you.
Jon

Gunner wrote:

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Guido

Jon wrote:

Boy howdy that would be illegle in Oregon. Can't have a commercial business
on farmland. The tree huggers would hate you.
Jon

Hell that's about 25% of the current price of my main house
here in the UK.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:50:38 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

Its supposed to be 83 in L.A. today. The girls will be out in their
teenies, Christmas shopping.

It's 41F here but I don't mind as I'm inside today.

Minis and bikinis (and those who wear them) are the ONLY thing I miss
from LoCal. Then again, that IS a real biggie, isn't it? sigh

SEND JPGS, please.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Gunner

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:42:05 -0800, "Jon" wrote:

Boy howdy that would be illegle in Oregon. Can't have a commercial business
on farmland. The tree huggers would hate you.
Jon

Your ****ting me? Really?

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Glenn

The tree huggers hate folk like me anyway I think around here most of it
is zoned industrial/ag anyway. I know of some pretty nice shops out in the
valley and it doesn't seem to bother the cows any ... but then they do seem
to be more intelligent than the tree huggers LOL

Glenn

Gunner wrote:

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

PrecisionMachinisT

"Jon" wrote in message
Boy howdy that would be illegle in Oregon. Can't have a commercial

business
on farmland. The tree huggers would hate you.

I knew there was a good reason I didnt relocate to Oregon.

Im up in Cowlitz county ( SW Wa. ) in an unzoned area, where pretty much
anything goes........

--

SVL

Martin H. Eastburn

Gunner wrote:

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

No wonder the farmers are going broke - all hobbies now!

I don't believe the 'can't have a commercial business on farmland' or ranchland.
Both are businesses and often multiple businesses exist be be either.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:49:59 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 11:42:05 -0800, "Jon" wrote:

Boy howdy that would be illegle in Oregon. Can't have a commercial business
on farmland. The tree huggers would hate you.
Jon

Your ****ting me? Really?

I don't doubt that.

I was going to keep more busy by doing handyman work until I learned
that to work inside someone's home up here, I need a -full-
contractor's license, a $10k bond, and $50k in insurance. And I had
always thought -CA- was overregulated... grrrr Suckage Major.

That's right, folks. To lube a squeaky hinge in someone else's Oregon
home (for pay) requires a full contractor's license. Price: About
$1,000. (License $295 for 2 years or $590 for 4 years, a couple
hundred for the bond, and about $500 for insurance. Add several weeks'
time for studying, getting licensed, etc.)

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I didn't look it up, but he may be talking about a zoning/taxation
regulation, like we have here in NJ and some other states. Ag land is taxed
at a very low rate. Once it's designated agricultural, and you claim
agricultural tax rates for it, you can't run some other kind of business
there, which would carry a much higher tax rate.

Or maybe that's not it. That would be it if he were talking about my state.

New Jersey? Can they still grow things in NJ? I thought after
that last dioxin leak, it was pretty tough to get stuff to germinate.

:^)

Maybe cranberries?

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:19:48 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

How many actual handymen go through this process?

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Gunner

On 20 Dec 2004 08:15:02 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I didn't look it up, but he may be talking about a zoning/taxation
regulation, like we have here in NJ and some other states. Ag land is taxed
at a very low rate. Once it's designated agricultural, and you claim
agricultural tax rates for it, you can't run some other kind of business
there, which would carry a much higher tax rate.

Or maybe that's not it. That would be it if he were talking about my state.

New Jersey? Can they still grow things in NJ? I thought after
that last dioxin leak, it was pretty tough to get stuff to germinate.

:^)

Maybe cranberries?

Jim

The bat wings on the cranberries is only a minor irritation

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Guido

Ed Huntress wrote:

I didn't look it up, but he may be talking about a zoning/taxation
regulation, like we have here in NJ and some other states. Ag land is taxed
at a very low rate. Once it's designated agricultural, and you claim
agricultural tax rates for it, you can't run some other kind of business
there, which would carry a much higher tax rate.

Or maybe that's not it. That would be it if he were talking about my state.

Same here in the UK. Agricultural land is exempt from all
sorts of taxation so long as it is used for "agriculural use
only". The effective word is ONLY, which means that it is
used for no activity whatsoever that isn't agriculrtural.
Even a slight secondary usage, say on one day a year, will
lose its exemption status.

John Scheldroup

"Gunner" wrote in message ...

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Live like a Rat ?

A Room With an Apocalyptic View
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,..._story_related

The Missle Silos of Roswell
http://www.clui.org/clui_4_1/lotl/00f/00f8a.html

The Ultimate in Security
http://www.missilebases.com/

John

John Scheldroup

"John Scheldroup" wrote in message ...

"Gunner" wrote in message ...

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Live like a Rat ?

A Room With an Apocalyptic View
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,..._story_related

The Missle Silos of Roswell
http://www.clui.org/clui_4_1/lotl/00f/00f8a.html

The Ultimate in Security
http://www.missilebases.com/

Monday is soylent rat day.

John

Jon Danniken

"Gunner" wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Gunner calmly ranted:
"Jon" wrote:

[...]

The ones that advertise all do - you can't even place an ad unless you have
a CCB number.

Basically, if you're a full-time advertising handyman you need the license
and bond. If you do stuff on a referral basis, or are doing it pay your way
through college, well....

Jon

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Jon Danniken"
wrote back on Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:10:47
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
"Gunner" wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Gunner calmly ranted:
"Jon" wrote:

[...]

How about if you're doing it as way to meet women?

(Q.vid "Day By Day" for today [Dec 20, 2004]
http://daybydaycartoon.com/Default.aspx )

--
pyotr filipivich.

Sunworshipper

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:10:47 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Gunner calmly ranted:
"Jon" wrote:

[...]

We don't want those jobs anyway. I bet if you checked who actually
does the work you wouldn't find a licensed one. The one holding the
lie.s would be the chick doing the paper work.

Its all about how to extort money not about if the job is done right.
The only way to pay for all the hoop jumping is to have people that
don't know what they are doing on the job.

Better learn another language before going to the trouble.
Jon

Gunner wrote:

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the
civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

No wonder the farmers are going broke - all hobbies now!

I don't believe the 'can't have a commercial business on farmland' or
ranchland. Both are businesses and often multiple businesses exist be
be either.
Martin

No, Oregon is the land of planning. We have a state wide planning. To own
farming land, you must earn like $80,000 from I think 10 acres in order to
have a home on it. Many folks in Oregon bought a 5 or 10 acre parcel back
in the 60-70's and then the land use planning changed and these folks found
out they could NOT build and live on their own land in retirement.
One lady bout 40 acres up off forest park in Portland, back in the 50's.
Would be worth millions, but they changed it to forest land only and now she
lives on Social security.
We just passed our measure 37, which says if you can't use the land as it
was zoned originally, then the government either needs to pay you the
difference, or make a waiver so you can use the land anyway. All the
politicians are screaming this is the end of the world. They love planning.
We have an urban growth boundry around the bigger cities, and anything
outside the line cannot be used for anything but agricultural use. Its
farmland, only. They want dense urban areas, and lots of open spaces.
Kinda ridiculous considering people only own about 6% of all the land area
in Oregon. The state and fed own the rest.
Welcome to Moscow on the Willamette.
Jon

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:17:42 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:19:48 -0800, Larry Jaques

That's right, folks. To lube a squeaky hinge in someone else's Oregon
home (for pay) requires a full contractor's license. Price: About
$1,000. (License $295 for 2 years or $590 for 4 years, a couple
hundred for the bond, and about $500 for insurance. Add several weeks'
time for studying, getting licensed, etc.)

How many actual handymen go through this process?

Quite a few, it seems. I see half a dozen ads in the local paper
for them, all licensed. And the local paper is who clued me in.
I was asked for a license number and when I couldn't produce one,
they said they couldn't run the ad. I was floored even more when
I checked out the actual requirements and came up with that figure.

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Cliff

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:01:55 +0000, Guido wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

I didn't look it up, but he may be talking about a zoning/taxation
regulation, like we have here in NJ and some other states. Ag land is taxed
at a very low rate. Once it's designated agricultural, and you claim
agricultural tax rates for it, you can't run some other kind of business
there, which would carry a much higher tax rate.

Or maybe that's not it. That would be it if he were talking about my state.

Same here in the UK. Agricultural land is exempt from all
sorts of taxation so long as it is used for "agriculural use
only". The effective word is ONLY, which means that it is
used for no activity whatsoever that isn't agriculrtural.
Even a slight secondary usage, say on one day a year, will
lose its exemption status.

This probably irks wingers no end.
All the market will bear ..... if it would sell for XX to
a developer like the property across town did then tax it
at that value .... even better as an open sewage pond ...
is Gunner's outhouse on a hill? The bunker down low?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:09:39 -0800, "Jon" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you should get a degree in urban planning. Probably
at least a masters. Chance of a PhD so that you can teach?

Here's an easy program: http://dusp.mit.edu/ G.
--
Cliff

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:01:07 GMT, pyotr filipivich
calmly ranted:

How about if you're doing it as way to meet women?

Now THERE is a novel idea.

(Q.vid "Day By Day" for today [Dec 20, 2004]
http://daybydaycartoon.com/Default.aspx )

Good one. Today's is good, too. And speaking of awards, I believe the
question to ask TIME mag for their POTY choice is "WHAT WERE YOU
_THINKING_?!?"

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I didn't look it up, but he may be talking about a zoning/taxation
regulation, like we have here in NJ and some other states. Ag land is

taxed
at a very low rate. Once it's designated agricultural, and you claim
agricultural tax rates for it, you can't run some other kind of business
there, which would carry a much higher tax rate.

Or maybe that's not it. That would be it if he were talking about my

state.

New Jersey? Can they still grow things in NJ? I thought after
that last dioxin leak, it was pretty tough to get stuff to germinate.

:^)

Maybe cranberries?

Hey, you probably have a NJ Turnpike/Garden State Parkway view of NJ. g NJ
is 20% agricultural. We're #2 in blueberry production, something like #3 in
cranberry production, #4 or #5 in peach production, and so on.

The real people-packing is mostly in the northeast corner and the southwest
corner, plus a strip along the seashore.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

John Scheldroup

"Cliff" wrote in message ...
[...]

1984 tuition costs were I believe around 9k.../year undergrad
study in Aerospace engineering...
Federal loans more easily had for young people of his RACE.
With papers to be mailed he says a big not!, so there goes his
high pitched excitement at Boston's theme park of higher learning.
Now in retrospect he sees this was just one in series of
psychotic episodes throughout his life that inevitably brought
progress to a screatching halt.
It has taken several years to put a cap on these Psychotic outbreaks,
today the focus seems good as he finally has a clear path to travel,
and there is nothing strange about it. The newer common sense
approach has consumed more time then expected G

John

Gunner

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:50:39 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Hey, you probably have a NJ Turnpike/Garden State Parkway view of NJ. g NJ
is 20% agricultural. We're #2 in blueberry production, something like #3 in
cranberry production, #4 or #5 in peach production, and so on.

The real people-packing is mostly in the northeast corner and the southwest
corner, plus a strip along the seashore.

I can understand the people packing thing..as cranberries grow in
swamps....

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Maybe cranberries?

Hey, you probably have a NJ Turnpike/Garden State Parkway view of NJ. g NJ
is 20% agricultural. We're #2 in blueberry production, something like #3 in
cranberry production, #4 or #5 in peach production, and so on.

Right, but before you do the twenty percent, you need to remove
the dioxin-contaminated districts. Once that's done, overall it
winds up being about 0.2% agricultual. I think that's my dad's
garden anyway.

The real people-packing is mostly in the northeast corner and the southwest
corner, plus a strip along the seashore.

That's where I grew up, the very northeast corner of the state. It's
actually still pretty rural.

Jim

please reply to:

wmbjk

wrote:

The real people-packing is mostly in the northeast corner and the southwest
corner, plus a strip along the seashore.

What, no mention of building-foundations? :-)

Wayne

wmbjk

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:53:21 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I can understand the people packing thing..as cranberries grow in
swamps....

Swamps are used for mutating monsters, like this one for example -
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/globbeckwith.htm Cranberries on the
other hand are grown in bogs. The term should be especially easy for
someone like you to remember since it's only one letter removed from
"blogs". :-)

Wayne