Rob McDonald

Default Single Point Threading Problem - Followup

Several people here were kind enough to provide suggestions when I had
problems with "tearing" threads. While some of them improved the threads,
the basic problem remained - after a couple of passes the threads would get
a jagged, torn appearance. Nothing I tried changed this.

I finally started examining the thread after each pass with a magnifier:
First cut - no problem, even & smooth. Second cut - I thought my eyes had
gone weird... the width of the (flat) crest was varying.

The lead screw looked OK, so I disassembled the apron and voila! The half
nuts were badly damaged. The threads were mostly torn away, and the entire
casting (they look like a die cast part) had many small cracks. I believe
this was allowing the nuts to move after engagement, occasionally changing
the position of the cutting tool relative to the previous pass.

Of course these are the challenges of working with a 60 year old lathe
(10" Atlas) that came out of a shed on a friend's barn :-) I ordered new
half nuts from Clausing and installed them.

I threaded a test piece of 12L14 today. The "tearing" is no longer evident,
and the pitch is constant.

The flanks of the thread are rough, it looks like I am getting a bit of
chatter, I'll play with my setup and tool geometry per the advice
previously provided to try for a cleaner thread.

Thanks for the advice guys, you convinced me that there was more at play
than my technique.

Rob
Tim Wescott

Rob McDonald wrote:

-- snip --

The lead screw looked OK, so I disassembled the apron and voila! The half
nuts were badly damaged. The threads were mostly torn away, and the entire
casting (they look like a die cast part) had many small cracks. I believe
this was allowing the nuts to move after engagement, occasionally changing
the position of the cutting tool relative to the previous pass.

-- snip --

Thanks for the advice guys, you convinced me that there was more at play
than my technique.

Rob

I hope the pun was intentional.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

A different single-point threading question.... Ken Sterling Metalworking 40 June 3rd 04 03:23 AM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Reversing leadscrew on small lathe Lewis Campbell Metalworking 22 December 24th 03 07:45 AM