Johan

Default Need a source of small carbon brushes

I work part-time for a non-profit medical equipment supplier, repairing
and maintaining electric wheelchairs, scooters, etc.

I've repeatedly had to consign an otherwise perfectly sound machine to
junk simply because the manufacturer no longer stock motor brushes for
their older models. The brushes that _are_ available cost anywhere from
$13 to $20 dollars each -- not each pair, each, dealer cost.

I've been measuring and recording brush sizes from as many different
pieces of equipment I can and am looking for a source of generic carbon
brushes for 24 VDC motors. I doubt there's much difference in the
composition of the brushes as nearly all the motors have very similar
current loads and power ratings. -- I.e. no copper-impregnated carbon
compounds, etc. All seem very similar that way.

Of course, I'm also comparing the brushes that are currently stocked
with the older versions as well. Sometimes we get lucky and a newer
model's brushes fit the older machines. Still pricey as all heck,
though.

I'm looking for a supplier to get the prices down for folks who have no
funding source for repairs, etc.

Anybody know a good source for small quantities? (25-50 pairs) I can FAX
or email pictures of the brush assemblies and their dimensions. Most
incorporate the contact plate and springs. (for plain ol' screw-cap
brush holders)

Most are about 1/4 X 7/16 X 1/2 to 3/8 X 1/2 X 5/8 Thickness, width,
length.
RoyJ

Check out those hardware store racks with all the odd size bolts, keys,
clips, etc. Lately I've seen bins with brushes are quite reasonable
prices. ($2 range) You might also want to think about getting slightly
oversize ones, use a belt sander to knock them down to the required
sized. Need to make sure they are still rectangular but they should work.

Johan wrote:

[...]

Johan

In article et,
RoyJ wrote:

Check out those hardware store racks with all the odd size bolts, keys,
clips, etc. Lately I've seen bins with brushes are quite reasonable
prices. ($2 range) You might also want to think about getting slightly
oversize ones, use a belt sander to knock them down to the required
sized. Need to make sure they are still rectangular but they should work.

Thanks. That just might work. There aren't many real old time hardware
stores around here anymore, but there's one.
Leo Lichtman

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) You might also want to think about getting slightly
oversize ones, use a belt sander to knock them down to the required size.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I usually do exactly that, 'cause it's easier than searching the the exact
size. Never had a problem.

Bart D. Hull

Johan,

Get a Serv-A-Lite catalog. They are the supplier to ACE hardware (the
last real hardware store with all the bins of nuts, bolts etc.) The
catalog I have has 15 pages of bruses with the dimensions of the generic
brushes. "List" price on the generics are $4 per but when you buy direct
it is about 1/2 that.

I purchased a couple of trays of Metric nuts and bolts and it is
unbelieveably cheap to get 'em in bulk like that and it even comes with
a nice tray to keep them in.

Servalite's number is 1-800-447-6760. Only interesting note is that the
brushes come in packs of 5. Hmmmm everything I've wanted to put brushes
in needs 2. Is this like the hot dog bun packaging vs hot dog packaging
conspiracy? ;-)

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Johan wrote:
[...]

Terry Mayhugh

Also keep an eye on Ebay. There was a huge maintenance assortment up for
sale about a month ago. I bid on it but lost. Something like 50 assorted
sets went for about $20. There is a lot for sale right now but they seem to
all be the same.

"Johan" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:20:47 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"RoyJ" wrote: (clip) You might also want to think about getting slightly
oversize ones, use a belt sander to knock them down to the required size.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I usually do exactly that, 'cause it's easier than searching the the exact
size. Never had a problem.

I use a surface grinder with the brushes stuck to a bit of carpet
tape. Makes getting them to size easy. Any wheel works fine.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Kinda simple... I went to Google and did a search...

This is the link...

http://www.ehobbies.com/associated-c...cessories.html

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bart D. Hull wrote:
Johan,

[ ... ]

Servalite's number is 1-800-447-6760. Only interesting note is that the
brushes come in packs of 5. Hmmmm everything I've wanted to put brushes
in needs 2. Is this like the hot dog bun packaging vs hot dog packaging
conspiracy? ;-)

Well ... some DC servo motors (with tach feedback) have four
brushes, two for the motor and two for the tach generator feedback.
This allows you to drop, crush, or otherwise lose or destroy one and
still have enough for the job. And if your machine uses five servos (X,
Y, Z, rotary table, and knee lift perhaps?) four packs will do the job,
baring damage to one of the brushes. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:31:27 -0700, "Bart D. Hull"
calmly ranted:

I purchased a couple of trays of Metric nuts and bolts and it is
unbelieveably cheap to get 'em in bulk like that and it even comes with
a nice tray to keep them in.

Yes, bulk is the ONLY way to buy any kind of hardware.

Servalite's number is 1-800-447-6760. Only interesting note is that the
brushes come in packs of 5. Hmmmm everything I've wanted to put brushes
in needs 2. Is this like the hot dog bun packaging vs hot dog packaging
conspiracy? ;-)

Surely it's part of Doug Goncz's "parts replicate in storage" theory.
Proof that 2 pair make 5+.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Denis G.

McMaster Carr carries carbon motor brushes this size. See
www.mcmaster.com and search for "carbon motor brushes." I ordered some
to replace ones on my Sears treadmill (Sears wanted over $200 for a
replacement motor). You may be able to get better prices on larger
quantities elsewhere, but McMaster Carr is very reputable.

Karl Vorwerk

Our local hardware stores now have a better selection of oddball items than
Home Depot. They didn't have it till Home Depot moved in though.
Karl

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
Nah, these racks are now found at the Home Depot COMPETITOR places!

Johan wrote:
In article et,
RoyJ wrote:

Check out those hardware store racks with all the odd size bolts, keys,
clips, etc. Lately I've seen bins with brushes are quite reasonable
prices. ($2 range) You might also want to think about getting slightly
oversize ones, use a belt sander to knock them down to the required
sized. Need to make sure they are still rectangular but they should work.

Thanks. That just might work. There aren't many real old time hardware
stores around here anymore, but there's one.

Bob Engelhardt

Bart D. Hull wrote:
Get a Serv-A-Lite catalog. They are the supplier to ACE hardware ...

Will they deal with individuals, or do you have to pretend that you're a
store? Bob

Johan

In article . com,
wrote:

Kinda simple... I went to Google and did a search...

This is the link...

http://www.ehobbies.com/associated-c...ric-car---truc
k-accessories-motor-brushes---accessories.html

Thanks. I'll look into that more later. At first glance they don't seem
to be listing the same type as I need, but I haven't looked very far
yet.