Al MacDonald

Default phase converter and transformer question

I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.

jim rozen

In article gTCwd.1$uj2.0@clgrps12, Al MacDonald says...

I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.

Most agree that the lower voltage converter, and then a step
up transformer for the resulting three-phase is the better way
to go. I seem to recall that an open delta transformer can
be acceptable for this to keep costs down. The practicalmachinist
board has good discussions about this in the VFD section.

Jim

please reply to:
Grant Erwin

Al MacDonald wrote:

I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.

Are you certain your motor can't be rewired to 220? Worth checking ..

You can convert 220/1ph-220/3ph-440/3ph using a 3ph transformer or you can
convert 220/1ph-440/1ph-440/3ph using a 1ph transformer. 3kVA is a little
light for a 3ph motor -- ignore the numbers, this is what you learn from
the guys who do this all the time. You can probably get away with it but
it might fail to start your motor and wouldn't that be a bummer. Which way
you convert will depend on what transformer you can get your hands on. A
3ph transformer is more expensive, heavier and larger than its 1ph equal.

The other thing is you might want 220/3ph for running other tools. Then
again, almost everything *can* run at 440 and if you can do that, it's
better because the current is half so you spend less in wiring and much
less in motor controllers.

GWE
Robert Swinney

"Al MacDonald" wrote in message
I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph power.
My plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph
transformer 220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything
obviously wrong with my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440
single phase transformer and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but
I think this way might be much more expensive. Thanks, al.

Before you proceed make sure the mill's motor can't be optioned for 220V,
3-phase operation. It is a pretty good bet the motor can be *strapped*
(just inside the junction box) for 220 V operation. If the motor can be
optioned for 220V it will say so on the name plate.

1) A 220V rotary phase converter connected to 3KVA, 3-phase transformer
will work fine. Be aware the transformer will pass everything from the RPC
so a *reasonably* well balanced RPC is essential. Three KVA is about 4
horsepower so there will be a 33% "reserve" power capability in the
transformer when / if it is loaded to a full 3 HP. Some design practice
says there should be a 100% reserve power capability in a transformer, but
it is unlikely you will ever work the mill near its full 3 HP rating. So I
think you will be alright with the 3KVA transformer.

2) If you have a 220/440 single phase transformer (at least rated for 3KVA)
and a 440V, 3-Phase motor of at least 4 HP, you can make a 440V RPC to run
the mill directly. Four hundred forty volt RPCs are easier to adjust for
voltage balance than 220V ones. The recommended values of balancing
capacitance goes down to around 7.5 microfarad per HP. If your capacitors
are for 220V service, they can be connected in series to achieve the higher
voltage rating. The total value of 2 capacitors in series is found by the
formula, C total = (C1 x C2) / (C1 + C2).

Bob Swinney

Gunner

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:25:00 GMT, "Al MacDonald"
wrote:

I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.

Sure the mill cannot be rewired for 220? If it has a multi speed
motor, probably not. I do have a few single phase transformers big
enough, if you want to come over and pick one up.

My Hardinge TFB is 440, with a 3ph transformer mounted on the back
side, run by a 220 RPC. Works fine.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.

Check the motor nameplate in the mill, see if it's straight 480V or
240V/480V dual voltage (which is more common) and also check if it is
"inverter duty" rated.

Stepping voltage up for big tools is a problem, as you may not have
enough power feed at your house to drive it after you figure in
transformer losses and start surges - especially if your house only
has a 100A 120/240V 1PH panel. "Watts is watts", and you double the
current going in to double the voltage going out.

Instead of a phase converter, you may be better off with an inverter
drive that will run the 3PH motor off 1PH power, and can 'soft start'
the motor to reduce the start current surge to something your power
service can handle.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Bob

This will work fine. That is how I run my shop. I have a 240 3 ph
distribution panel after the rotary phase converter, and a 480
distribution panel after the 3 ph. transformer. Then whatever new
machine that needs to be hooked up can be wired to the proper voltage.
That saves a lot of fussing with rewiring motors, control transformers,
changing heaters, etc.

Another benifit is that hard to start motors, in my case the 15HP IR
air compressor, starts a bit better on the higher voltage (480) as
compared to the 240.

Your milage may vary....

Bob

Another possible solution than what has been mentioned:

Use a 220/440V motor as the phase converter. Wire for 440, and drive
ONE HALF of the line connected phase. The converter will be working as
a rotary step up, eliminating the need for the seperate transformer. I
have a machine that uses this trick to avoid the need for a step down.
Not all dual voltage motors can be used in this way.

Al MacDonald wrote:
I latched onto an older horizontal mill that runs on 3hp 440V 3ph

power. My
plan is to hook up a 220V rotary phase converter to a 3KVa 3ph

transformer
220/440 and then to the mill. Does anyone see anything obviously

wrong with
my plan? I suppose I could try and find a 220/440 single phase

transformer
and then a 440V single to 3ph rotary converter but I think this way

might be
much more expensive. Thanks, al.

Peter H.

Neither does he.

Fitch tried it ... didn't work.

If the motor was a wound rotor machine, it might have worked.

As an induction machine, as Fitch tried, no chance.

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:
Another possible solution than what has been mentioned:

Use a 220/440V motor as the phase converter. Wire for 440, and

drive
ONE HALF of the line connected phase. The converter will be working

as
a rotary step up, eliminating the need for the seperate

transformer. I
have a machine that uses this trick to avoid the need for a step

down.
Not all dual voltage motors can be used in this way.

Can you elucidate a little on "drive one half of the line connected

phase",
please? This is written in English and I know what every word means,

and
I once had quite a bit of electrical engineering knowledge, but I

unfortunately
have no idea what you're talking about.

Many 220/440 indution motors (I have several) are converted between
voltages by connecting the coils either in series or in parallel,
similarly to selection of the windings on dual voltage transformers
(such as the fairly comon 220/440 input on many welders) If the
connection is made for 440, then there are two series connected
windings on a common core and if ONE of these windings (half of the
series connected pair) is powered with 220, then 440 will be seen
across the pair (it is acting as an autotransformer in boost
configuration)

The same behavior is exhibited by the windings on many 220/440 three
phase motor-- each phase is two windings, either series connected, or
parallel connected. The motor must be designed for delta connection.

A motor designed for 220/440, why connected, would again need all three
phases series connected, but the line connection would be from the
center tie of one phase to the center tie of another, the 480 exhibited
at the outside of the three phases.

How is this possible? Unless you have full supplied single phase

220V and a
start cap for the third leg, you wouldn't even be able to start the

idler
motor. Right?
--

Correct. A starting means is still needed. With a delta connected motor
as phase converter, the third leg of the starting circuit is connected

Robert Swinney

wrote in message
ups.com...

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You got any 'scope pictures of that?

Bob Swinney

Jerry Martes

wrote in message
ups.com...

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

enl_
Does that indicate that a 220/440 3 phase motor will spin properly if only
1/2 of windings are connected?? If I wasnt so lazy, I'd go out and try
setting up an experiment. But, it sounds like you already know that the
motor will spin properly when only 1/2 its windings are energized. The fact
that the motor spins at all with only the one set of windings surprizes me.
Jerry

DoN. Nichols

In article ZQ8xd.279$Y57.19@trnddc08,
Jerry Martes wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:
Another possible solution than what has been mentioned:

Use a 220/440V motor as the phase converter. Wire for 440, and

drive
ONE HALF of the line connected phase. The converter will be working

as
a rotary step up, eliminating the need for the seperate

transformer. I
have a machine that uses this trick to avoid the need for a step

down.
Not all dual voltage motors can be used in this way.

[ ... ]

Many 220/440 indution motors (I have several) are converted between
voltages by connecting the coils either in series or in parallel,

[ ... ]

The same behavior is exhibited by the windings on many 220/440 three
phase motor-- each phase is two windings, either series connected, or
parallel connected. The motor must be designed for delta connection.

A motor designed for 220/440, why connected, would again need all three

^^^

Don't you mean 'Y' connected? If spelled out, it shows as "wye"
not "why". (Or do you mean "'why' does it work?" :-)

phases series connected, but the line connection would be from the
center tie of one phase to the center tie of another, the 480 exhibited
at the outside of the three phases.

enl_
Does that indicate that a 220/440 3 phase motor will spin properly if only
1/2 of windings are connected?? If I wasnt so lazy, I'd go out and try
setting up an experiment. But, it sounds like you already know that the
motor will spin properly when only 1/2 its windings are energized. The fact
that the motor spins at all with only the one set of windings surprizes me.

I would not be surprised if it spun up -- but I would be amazed
if it delivered anywhere near the nameplate horsepower. Each of the two
split windings contributes half of the magnetic field -- either when
they are in series or when they are in parallel. This should be
sufficient to spin an idler for a rotary converter. But since you get
double the voltage at the output, you will need double the current at
the input (ignoring losses in the motor) -- just as with a transformer.

And your maximum *safe* output current (again neglecting losses)
will be 1/2 the nameplate current at the desired output voltage. This
is because you are limited to the higher voltage nameplate current into
the half winding, and there will be a 2:1 ratio of drop in current
corresponding to the 1:2 ratio of increase in output voltage.

Yes -- it can handle more than that for a short time, such as
starting another motor, but long-term would burn it out.

And all this presumes that the two windings are around the same
set of poles. If the windings are scattered around the motor, you will
not get the transformer effect, so you get nothing.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that the motor on which Fitch tried
it had physically split windings. There are two opposite sets of
physical poles in the motor which make up one phase. If there is a
separate winding on each pole, instead of both windings on both poles,
then it will be useless as a step-up device.

Frankly, if I were designing the motor, I would probably use a
separate winding on each physical pole -- to get a little better
insulation between them when used for 440V operation. But I don't know
which makers use which design, or even if the same maker changes designs
from time (or model) to time.

A quick and dirty test of this for a specific motor would be to
take one of the pairs of 220V windings and hook it to a 220V light bulb
(or similar load), and apply 220V to the other of the pair for a short
time to see what the light bulb does. If it lights at near full
brightness, then it is acting as a transformer, and will probably work
for the needed task -- with *lots* of derating. 1/4 the HP for the fact
that it is acting as a transformer, and then another 2/3 for the fact
that it is working as a rotary converter -- plus a bit more for enough
muscle to start the load. So -- I would suggest at least ten times the
needed load horsepower. All in all -- not very efficient.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
DoN. Nichols

In article Ngjxd.317$Y57.170@trnddc08,
Jerry Martes wrote:

[ ... ]

I dont know how to analyze this 3 phase motor that is using only 1/2 its
windings (poles) to spin it. But, it surprizes me that an induction motor
can still run when the number of poles is reduced to 1/2.

But the number of poles may *not* be reduced to 1/2 the normal
number. If the split windings are on the same physical poles, and only
electrically isolated, there should be no problem. I just got through
typing a fairly long response (which you will not yet have had a chance
to see) in another branch of this thread.

I wonder if a 4 pole motor can be re-connected to be a 2 pole motor.

It depends on the design. Two-speed motors are connected just
this way. I have even had a three-speed (2-pole, 4-pole, 8-pole) as the
capstan motor on a reel-to-reel tape deck. It also was designed as an
"inverted rotor" one, so the rotor doubled as a flywheel. Actually, it
had three independent sets of windings. It was a cap-run motor, and
fairly low torque. I spent some time learning to re-wind motors when
that one burned up. And then, once I got that right, the bearings gave
out. :-) It *did* come from a hamfest, and the whole deck cost me
something like $2.50. :-) I later got an Ampex 440B to replace it. And
the 440B has a two-speed (by switched windings) Hysteresis-synchronous
motor -- with a separate flywheel. The motor was made by Bodine.

But,
this gets too complex for me to analyze. I'd have guessed that the
re-connected motor would produce a torque that contained ripple.

That's the reason for the flywheel. :-)

I'd sure like to know more about how a 3 phase motor can be made to spin
when 1/2 itys poles are removed (not connected).

Because, in reality, all of the *poles* are energized -- just
separate coils sharing each pole. This is apparently a function of who
made the motor. Some have shared windings and can act as an
autotransformer, some have separate windings, and can't.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Jerry Martes

DoN

My opolgies - I was assuming the windings, like the ones indicated on the
name plate of the motor were always located on seperate poles. That is -
all the motors I've seen dont have the poles share stator locations. I
just have to study more and post less.

Jerry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article Ngjxd.317$Y57.170@trnddc08,
Jerry Martes wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:55:57 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On 18 Dec 2004 06:20:08 GMT, inch (Peter
H.) wrote:

Neither does he.

Fitch tried it ... didn't work.

If the motor was a wound rotor machine, it might have worked.

As an induction machine, as Fitch tried, no chance.

With the right machine it can work but starting is
difficult and it needs a vastly oversized efficient machine
because you are only applying power to one sixth of the
windings and this has to handle the whole of the output
power.

Both voltage regulation and efficiency suffer because
of the uneconomic utilisation of the windings.

Jim

Jim

I dont know how to analyze this 3 phase motor that is using only 1/2 its
windings (poles) to spin it. But, it surprizes me that an induction motor
can still run when the number of poles is reduced to 1/2.

I wonder if a 4 pole motor can be re-connected to be a 2 pole motor. But,
this gets too complex for me to analyze. I'd have guessed that the
re-connected motor would produce a torque that contained ripple.

I'd sure like to know more about how a 3 phase motor can be made to spin
when 1/2 itys poles are removed (not connected).

Jerry

Jerry

The right sort of machine needs to be one that is
wound with two independent sets of 220v three phase
windings. Either winding is a complete set and capable of
being used on its own from a 220v supply.

This means that each slot contains two bunches of
conductors - one for each set - series connected for 440v,
parallel connected for 220v. Because the bunches of
coductors are closely coupled, one leg can behave as an auto
transformer.

It's also possible to use the distribution that
you've assumed - a 4 pole distribution of the windings
which is arranged for 220v supply to one pair of poles and
220v to the remaining pair. The two pairs are series
connected for 440v or parallel for 220v operation.

With this arrangement the two sets of conductors
are widely separated and too poorly coupled to act as an
effective autotransformer.

An off the shelf 4 pole motor cannot be
reconnected to make it behave a 2 two pole motor because the
winding distribution is wrong - each phase is designed to
produce four field maxima 90 deg apart. Efficient 2 pole
operation needs two maxima 180 deg apart. The best that
reconnection of a standard motor an do is to produce a
distorted two pole field that has dip at the all important
180 deg point. Two speed motors have a different winding
distribution to overcome this problem.

Jim
Jerry Martes

Thanks Jim

I do need to learn more about these motors. I guess that, since I'de
never seen a 3 phase motor with poles that contain both windings, I assumed
they were either nonexistant or *very* rare.

I'd like to gather up enough energy to reconnect a 220/440 3 phase motor
and try the method enl_public describes. I'll try to locate a motor that
might allow reconnection so the 440 '3 phase' can be gotten from a single
phase 220 power source

Jerry

wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:55:57 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

. ..

[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article oAoxd.1412$2X6.551@trnddc07,
Jerry Martes wrote:
DoN

My opolgies -

No need for aplogies. Certainly not to me.

I was assuming the windings, like the ones indicated on the
name plate of the motor were always located on seperate poles. That is -
all the motors I've seen dont have the poles share stator locations. I
just have to study more and post less.

I don't think that I've ever seen a motor nameplate which really
made it clear whether the windings shared poles or were on opposite
poles. They were just concerned with how to set up the interconnections
for normal use at the two voltages it was designed for. Why document
for non-standard use? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Robert Swinney

Jerry Martes wrote:
DoN

My opolgies -

No need for aplogies. Certainly not to me.

I was assuming the windings, like the ones indicated on
the
name plate of the motor were always located on seperate poles. That is -
all the motors I've seen dont have the poles share stator locations. I
just have to study more and post less.

I don't think that I've ever seen a motor nameplate which really
made it clear whether the windings shared poles or were on opposite
poles. They were just concerned with how to set up the interconnections
for normal use at the two voltages it was designed for. Why document
for non-standard use? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Right you are, Don! The subject matter of this thread is so far afield from
ordinary design practice any attempt to reconcile the original poster's
"concept" is ludicrous. Far be it from me to belittle an idea containing
even a shred of usefulness in the home shop. This thread, however, goes
beyond ridiculous. As our English friend pointed out, it may be possible
with a certain type of (rare) motor and then only if one is able to put up
with gross inefficiency and start-up problems. All in all, an interesting
concept albeit one that will see very, very limited use in the home shop.
IMO, the original poster broached an enticing idea, but one that he either
lied about or had no practical experience with. He generated a thread that
would bring immense pride to any other troll.

Bob Swinney

jim rozen

In article , Robert Swinney says...

.... All in all, an interesting
concept albeit one that will see very, very limited use in the home shop.
IMO, the original poster broached an enticing idea, but one that he either
lied about or had no practical experience with.

Well, I *asked* if he had actually done that. His lack of response
speaks for itself - I'll take that as a "no."

Jim

please reply to: