Default Excel spreadsheet for cutting gears using a rotary table

I just uploaded an Excel spreadsheet program to the dropbox
[http:\\www.metalworking.com ] that calculates the angular spacing for
any given number of gear teeth.

Gearcalc.xls is a M/S Excel spreadsheet program that calculates the
angular spacing for a given number of gear teeth from 1 to 200 in
decimal degrees calculates a running total and converts the running
total decimal degrees to degrees, minutes and seconds. This is
especially handy for cutting gears using a rotary table rather than a
dividing head.

Using the Excel filldown function, this can be extended to any number
of teeth (up to about 65,000).

To use just enter the number of teeth in the cell in the first line and
everything is calculated. The line for one more tooth than you entered
should be 360 degrees as you are back where you started. For example
tooth (actually space)66 for a 65 tooth gear should read 360 degrees, 0
minutes, and 0 seconds.

Enjoy

George McD

Ted Edwards

I just uploaded an Excel spreadsheet program to the dropbox
[http:\\
www.metalworking.com ] that calculates the angular spacing for
any given number of gear teeth.

No you didn't. First, http:\\www.metalworking.com doesn't work. It
needs to be http://www.metalworking.com . Second, even after making the
correction, there is no file called Gearcalc.xls there. In fact,
searching on .xls finds nothing and searching on Gear finds lots but no
Gearcalc.xls.

BTW, I was just curious to see just how big that file is since that
problem takes on line of 28 characters in APL. :-)

Ted

Grant Erwin

Ted Edwards wrote:

BTW, I was just curious to see just how big that file is since that
problem takes on line of 28 characters in APL. :-)

What's APL, Ted?

GWE
Keith Marshall

No you didn't. First, http:\\www.metalworking.com doesn't work. It
needs to be http://www.metalworking.com . Second, even after making the
correction, there is no file called Gearcalc.xls there. In fact,

It was probably rejected because the dropbox doesn't accept xls files unless
they're inside a zip.

From the "Using the dropbox" page:
"NOTE: This facility does nothing to protect you from viruses and malicious
or simply badly-written programs. Exercise considerable caution if you
download anything other than text, JPGs, or GIF files. Because of the
increasing threat of viruses, files with .exe , .com , .cmd , .bat , .xls ,
or .doc extension types will no longer post to the dropbox directly. The
..xls and .doc file types are excluded because of the recent trend to macro
viruses. Documents should be sent as plain text and have a .txt file
extension. Other prohibited file types should be packaged into 'zip' or some
other similar compressed file along with instructions for their use. This
will make sure the the user at least has the chance to decide if they want
to take the risk of opening the file, instead of having their browser try to
automatically open it for them."

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message

I just uploaded an Excel spreadsheet program to the dropbox
[http:\\
www.metalworking.com ] that calculates the angular spacing for
any given number of gear teeth.

No you didn't. First, http:\\www.metalworking.com doesn't work. It
needs to be http://www.metalworking.com . Second, even after making the
correction, there is no file called Gearcalc.xls there. In fact,
searching on .xls finds nothing and searching on Gear finds lots but no
Gearcalc.xls.

BTW, I was just curious to see just how big that file is since that
problem takes on line of 28 characters in APL. :-)

Ted

Ted Edwards

Grant Erwin wrote:

BTW, I was just curious to see just how big that file is since that
problem takes on line of 28 characters in APL. :-)

What's APL, Ted?

A Programming Language. Originally developed by Ken Iverson. I use
IBM's APL2 implementation. If interested, there's some good stuff on
IBM's site including a free demo version. It's extremely powerful, very
interactive and handles arrays as easily as scalars.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/apl/

Ted