DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lost Foam Metal Casting - Web Update (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/81573-lost-foam-metal-casting-web-update.html)

Frank December 14th 04 12:16 PM

Lost Foam Metal Casting - Web Update

I've just posted yet another LFMC saga at

http://www.theworkshop.ca/casting/Fo...ry5/Fndry5.htm

What I really need is some sort of industrial engineer to take me by
the hand, wipe away my tears and set me straight on the facts about
LFMC... 3 years ago when I started LF Casting it seemed too good to be
true... by my experience I think that it has been over hyped...

Frank
www.theworkshop.ca

Grant Erwin December 14th 04 04:18 PM

Frank wrote:

I've just posted yet another LFMC saga at

http://www.theworkshop.ca/casting/Fo...ry5/Fndry5.htm

What I really need is some sort of industrial engineer to take me by
the hand, wipe away my tears and set me straight on the facts about
LFMC... 3 years ago when I started LF Casting it seemed too good to be
true... by my experience I think that it has been over hyped...

Frank
www.theworkshop.ca

What metal are you casting? If it's aluminum, and if you're getting lots
of bubbles, have you tried degassing the melt? - GWE

Tim Wescott December 14th 04 08:20 PM

Tim Williams wrote:

What metal are you casting? If it's aluminum, and if you're getting lots
of bubbles, have you tried degassing the melt? - GWE

I think his problem is bubbles under the plaster, and being too picky about
them. ( ;)

I've seen bubbles in plaster removed in a vacuum chamber (on a This Old
House episode where they do a factory tour of an investment casting
place). I've only poured one casting ever in my life, though, so I'm no
expert.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services