Wayne Cook

Default Ping DoN

I've been trying to get through for several days but keep getting
"Error 554: your server name Relay Access Denied".

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message

I've been trying to get through for several days but keep getting
"Error 554: your server name Relay Access Denied".

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

I've experienced the same thing with DoN in the past. I finally just quit
trying and talked to him through RCM.

Wayne Cook

Still doesn't work. I know they're reaching my ISP since I can send
one to another email address of mine.
Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Wayne Cook wrote:

Still doesn't work. I know they're reaching my ISP since I can send
one to another email address of mine.

I've replied to both of these via e-mail, and the e-mail seems
to be going only one way. I need more data to attempt to diagnose the
problem.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

Apologies to everyone else in the newsgroup, but I have no other way to
be sure to communicate this.

In article ,
Wayne Cook wrote:
On 13 Dec 2004 22:08:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Wayne Cook wrote:

Still doesn't work. I know they're reaching my ISP since I can send
one to another email address of mine.

I've replied to both of these via e-mail, and the e-mail seems
to be going only one way. I need more data to attempt to diagnose the
problem.

Hmm. I didn't seem to get the second reply. I just tried again using
the web mail interface instead of agent.

Well ... I've found out why. Your ISP is now rejecting messages
to you form me -- in a similar complaint to what you got trying to send
to me.

However, your last e-mail reached me. I've sent a reply to
that, including quoting the whole of the headers from the bounce. Just
in case that does not make it, here is a trimmed version:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at d-and-d.com.

:
66.51.205.14 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 : Recipient address rejected: User
+unknown in relay recipient table
Giving up on 66.51.205.14.

And a "dig" on the above IP address returns (in part):

;; ANSWER SECTION:
14.205.51.66.in-addr.arpa. 1D IN PTR mail.dslextreme.com.
*your* ISP.

So -- your ISP thinks that *you* don't exist.

I suspect a misguided attempt to improve spam blocking. :-)

You may wish to pass this on to them.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 13 Dec 2004 22:08:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Don. I am getting emails returned from the address I usually use to
send to you (the one on your message headers, and replies to your
emails)

It should still be valid.

This is the reply I have had to two messages; one from a few days a go
and one fomr today. Both came back today.

I am posting all this detail hoping agasint hope that I am not
releasing something that unleashes some bloody spam attack!

Result:
************************************************* *******************

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software
(Exim).

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

Remote host cadeau.d-and-d.com [204.91.85.23] closed connection
after initial connection:
retry timeout exceeded

This suggests an overly busy choke point somewhere between here
and there. Yesterday, at least, some parts of the net were severely
overloaded.

Or it could have been one of the points during which the machine
in question was *very* busy -- processing spam. :-)

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers.
------

by relay01.mail-hub.kbs.net.au with smtp (Exim 3.36 #2)
id 1CcAj2-0007qR-00

O.K. I'm not blocking that IP or that system name.

And a test forging a mail exchange using the "Return-Path: "
components and my e-mail address as recipient shows no problems.

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up
next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do
about it.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Gunner

On 14 Dec 2004 01:05:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up
next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do
about it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Get a free
www.myway.com email address. Or even a hotmail one (also
free) 250 megs of storage, Great spam blockers, 10 meg email download
size limits for big attachments

And you can check your email from any browser anytime, anyplace.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Wayne Cook

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:35:40 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

On 13 Dec 2004 22:08:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Wayne Cook wrote:

Still doesn't work. I know they're reaching my ISP since I can send
one to another email address of mine.

I've replied to both of these via e-mail, and the e-mail seems
to be going only one way. I need more data to attempt to diagnose the
problem.

Hmm. I didn't seem to get the second reply. I just tried again using
the web mail interface instead of agent.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

email test in progress.

Your email reached me as did Dons response to what I sent via the
web mail interface. However I don't seem to be able to email to you or
Don via Agent. I'm going to have to do some investigating.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up
next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do
about it.

[ ... ]

Get a free
www.myway.com email address. Or even a hotmail one (also
free) 250 megs of storage, Great spam blockers, 10 meg email download
size limits for big attachments

Wayne has a web-based mail service from his IPS, along with the
POP connected Agent. It appears to be a problem with the POP
connection, *and* (sometimes) with incoming mail.

And you can check your email from any browser anytime, anyplace.

I, personally, can't stand to use a web-based mail interface (or
for that matter to use a web based news poster), and I run my own mail
server, so deliveries are automatic to my mailbox on my systems,
whenever they come in.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gunner

On 14 Dec 2004 16:13:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 14 Dec 2004 01:05:58 -0500,
(DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up
next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do
about it.

[ ... ]

Get a free
www.myway.com email address. Or even a hotmail one (also
free) 250 megs of storage, Great spam blockers, 10 meg email download
size limits for big attachments

Wayne has a web-based mail service from his IPS, along with the
POP connected Agent. It appears to be a problem with the POP
connection, *and* (sometimes) with incoming mail.

Yes and? You lost me somewhere above and below. Neither of you can go
to a website and log in, checking your email thats contained on their
server? No POP or SMTP required.

And you can check your email from any browser anytime, anyplace.

I, personally, can't stand to use a web-based mail interface (or
for that matter to use a web based news poster), and I run my own mail
server, so deliveries are automatic to my mailbox on my systems,
whenever they come in.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Sometimes when all else fails, those online mail services such as
hotmail work when nothing else does, and provides a safe cutout.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:03:57 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On 14 Dec 2004 16:13:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 14 Dec 2004 01:05:58 -0500,
(DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up
next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do
about it.

[ ... ]

Get a free
www.myway.com email address. Or even a hotmail one (also
free) 250 megs of storage, Great spam blockers, 10 meg email download
size limits for big attachments

Wayne has a web-based mail service from his IPS, along with the
POP connected Agent. It appears to be a problem with the POP
connection, *and* (sometimes) with incoming mail.

Yes and? You lost me somewhere above and below. Neither of you can go
to a website and log in, checking your email thats contained on their
server? No POP or SMTP required.

What he's saying is that I've got access to all my email accounts in
web format if I want to use it (which I really don't but will till I
get a chance to correct this situation, I'm completely and totally
swamped around here at the moment).

On the other hand Don runs his own web and email servers in house.
He does not want to and will not use anything except what he's got on
hand for several reasons one of them security.

And you can check your email from any browser anytime, anyplace.

I, personally, can't stand to use a web-based mail interface (or
for that matter to use a web based news poster), and I run my own mail
server, so deliveries are automatic to my mailbox on my systems,
whenever they come in.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Sometimes when all else fails, those online mail services such as
hotmail work when nothing else does, and provides a safe cutout.

Only as a complete last resort. There's been many times in the past
when I've filtered all email from hotmail and other services like that
due to the high flow of spam from them.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 14 Dec 2004 16:13:58 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 14 Dec 2004 01:05:58 -0500,
(DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up
next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do
about it.

[ ... ]

Get a free
www.myway.com email address. Or even a hotmail one (also
free) 250 megs of storage, Great spam blockers, 10 meg email download
size limits for big attachments

Wayne has a web-based mail service from his IPS, along with the
POP connected Agent. It appears to be a problem with the POP
connection, *and* (sometimes) with incoming mail.

Yes and? You lost me somewhere above and below. Neither of you can go
to a website and log in, checking your email thats contained on their
server? No POP or SMTP required.

Wayne can, and I mentioned that he h ad a web-based mail service
from his ISP. I can't, because the mail is stored on my own systems,
and I will not run a web-based server to (possibly) expose my e-mail to
others, when I have no need of it.

The SMTP gets the mail from his ISP's mail server to my mail
server (one of my machines in my house) -- Or doesn't, when his mail
server thinks that an attempt at unauthorized relaying is being made. :-)

Another thing that can block things at my end is if the IP
address or the envelope sender (usually shows up as "Return-Path: " in
the headers) happens to be in one of my anti-spam blocklists. But that
is checked, and is not the problem here.

And you can check your email from any browser anytime, anyplace.

I, personally, can't stand to use a web-based mail interface (or
for that matter to use a web based news poster), and I run my own mail
server, so deliveries are automatic to my mailbox on my systems,
whenever they come in.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Sometimes when all else fails, those online mail services such as
hotmail work when nothing else does, and provides a safe cutout.

The spammers think so, as well. There are currently 4893
hotmail addresses which have been used to send me spam (most of them
forgeries, but some real) which are in my "envelope sender" blocklist. A
set of typical "usernames" from that blocklist includes:

zulu20042004
zumejempark
zupnhaokwppmch
zuu_finan4
zvrurku
zwdrkngni
zwjmmroyev
zwsfof
zwvrl526w
zwvtrvztey
zxbbl
zxtqotprw

By contrast, there are only 3460 msn entries in the blocklist,
and only 397 rr.com ones.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gunner

On 15 Dec 2004 22:29:30 -0500, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

Sometimes when all else fails, those online mail services such as
hotmail work when nothing else does, and provides a safe cutout.

The spammers think so, as well. There are currently 4893
hotmail addresses which have been used to send me spam (most of them
forgeries, but some real) which are in my "envelope sender" blocklist. A
set of typical "usernames" from that blocklist includes:

All I was suggesting was if you needed to send something back and
forth that tends to get waylayed, was to get a free
www.myway.com
account and use it. I have one and use it as a temp or blind pig
second email addy. Not to convert all your email over to something
web based.

Just set it up for the odd usage here and there as needed.

The myway account has particularly good spam filters. In the two years
Ive maintained this account, Ive gotten 6 pieces of spam. Period

Shrug..ymmv

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio