DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Homebrew PTC heated diesel fuel filter ? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/80203-homebrew-ptc-heated-diesel-fuel-filter.html)

rkpatt December 5th 04 11:06 AM

Homebrew PTC heated diesel fuel filter ?

I am trying to make a budget heater setup to heat the filter separator
on
my old truck and use a dieslel + VO mix ( I would like to get the
temp up to about 140-150 degrees F . I was thinking about using a
PTC heater unit canabalized from one of those portable 12v car heaters
( see -
). Anyone here build something like this or have any tips ? -thanks

Richard W. December 6th 04 12:58 AM

"rkpatt" wrote in message
om...
I am trying to make a budget heater setup to heat the filter separator
on
my old truck and use a dieslel + VO mix ( I would like to get the
temp up to about 140-150 degrees F . I was thinking about using a
PTC heater unit canabalized from one of those portable 12v car heaters
( see -
). Anyone here build something like this or have any tips ? -thanks

I have used one of those heaters and they don't heat very well. The do make
12 volt fuel line heaters though for diesel rigs. I have seen them on Ebay
before. You would be better off to properly clean the WVO and it will work
just like regular diesel.

[email protected] December 9th 04 02:55 PM

I guess I will have to try a different souce for a PTC filter heater .
I thinkI that I am on the right track using a PTC heater since it is
self regulating.

Jason Marshall December 9th 04 07:29 PM

wrote:
I guess I will have to try a different souce for a PTC filter heater .
I thinkI that I am on the right track using a PTC heater since it is
self regulating.

My International 9200 Class 8 truck has a FuelPro system in it. It is a
largish cannister next to the 60-Series Detroit engine with a clear
plastic top section which houses a filter, and a bottom section with a
water drain, and electric fuel heater. It has it's own thermostat in
there so it won't overheat the fuel. Maybe you could find a system like
this in a big truck junkyard? Detriot Diesel sells them as a (about)
$800 option. I bought my truck used and it was already there so I don't
know for sure what it's worth. It is said once you have one of those
systems you can pretty much run any garbage fuel you want at any
tempereature. I still run good winter fuel.

Jason