DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Setting angles of a compound using laser pointers (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/79465-setting-angles-compound-using-laser-pointers.html)

Jacek Zagaja December 1st 04 05:20 PM

Setting angles of a compound using laser pointers

Hello Gentelmans,

Some older lathes doesn't have an angle scale on a toolpost. It is
possible to adjust the toolpost via laser pointer with or without
colimating lens and some linear scale on e.g. spindle.

Here's my document with calculation of residual systematic error.
Suprisingly it is possible without much effort to get 1/6 deg
accuracy. I couldn't find any error in calculus.

http://tinyurl.com/6ntza
http://tinyurl.com/55rhx

Comments and corrections appreciated --Jack.

Ted Edwards December 3rd 04 04:14 AM

Jacek Zagaja wrote:

Some older lathes doesn't have an angle scale on a toolpost.

Here's another approach that works well for me.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Deg-Scale.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Deg-Scale1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Deg-Scale2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Deg-Scale3.jpg