DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/78138-drilling-21-32%22-holes-blown-out-5-8-11-holes.html)

Tom Gardner November 22nd 04 07:09 PM

Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes

I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We
pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a "D"
handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear
point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough. Two
guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or
putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's
got to be a better way?

Eric R Snow November 22nd 04 08:07 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:09:56 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We
pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a "D"
handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear
point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough. Two
guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or
putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's
got to be a better way?

Try a reamer. Not likely to grab. But ya gotta hold it straight. You
could drill and ream a 21/32 hole in a block which you clamp onto the
plate to be drilled. Then ream the hole with the block being your
guide and keeping the reamer straight.
Good Luck!
Eric

Larry Jaques November 22nd 04 11:46 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:09:56 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
calmly ranted:

I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We
pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a "D"
handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear
point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough. Two
guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or
putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's
got to be a better way?

Tackweld a thick guide onto the plate, then ream or drill.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

ATP November 23rd 04 01:16 AM

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We
pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a

"D"
handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear
point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough.

Two
guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or
putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's
got to be a better way?

How about a mag drill press?

Wayne Cook November 23rd 04 02:37 PM

wrote:

I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We
pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a "D"
handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear
point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough. Two
guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or
putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's
got to be a better way?

Four flute "Core Drill" is the best way to go. If it's a through
hole then a bridge reamer will work as well.
Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Steve Monroe November 24th 04 01:58 PM

Gotta second Waynes advice to use a core drill. I've drilled many jet engine
mounts out for bushings w/CDs. (4340, RC 43)
For lube, castor oil is my preferance.
Thanks,
Steve Monroe

Johan November 24th 04 02:24 PM

In article gt0pd.74555$EZ.71471@okepread07,
"Steve Monroe" wrote:

Gotta second Waynes advice to use a core drill. I've drilled many jet engine
mounts out for bushings w/CDs. (4340, RC 43)
For lube, castor oil is my preferance.
Thanks,
Steve Monroe

So _that's_ why you spend so much time in the can instead of at your
workstation. :)

WW1 pilots really did have that problem with the planes whose engines
were lubricated with castor oil from what I've read and IIRC.

Steve Monroe November 24th 04 02:45 PM

^%#!! Johan! I should have seen that one coming! G
Seriously, the big advantage of castor oil is that it clings to the tool bit
so well, esp for horizontal drilling.
Regards
Steve Monroe

Johan November 24th 04 03:09 PM

In article G81pd.74713$EZ.67679@okepread07,
"Steve Monroe" wrote:

^%#!! Johan! I should have seen that one coming! G
Seriously, the big advantage of castor oil is that it clings to the tool bit
so well, esp for horizontal drilling.
Regards
Steve Monroe

Makes sense to me.
I'll keep it in mind for future reference.
Thanks.

Best,
John

Joe AutoDrill November 24th 04 03:28 PM

How many holes are you drilling? Is this an ongoing project or a one-time
fix?

If you've got thousands to do there is a better way... If you have 4 to do,
then go with the quick fix for sure!

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Doug Goncz November 29th 04 08:37 AM

I have a 21/32 reamer I don't use very often....

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.