GMasterman

Default Tried E machine today

Two 1/4" 6061 aluminum disc 7" in diameter, nothing more complicated than
cutting them out with hydrojet-$147 a pair. Sound reasonable to ya'll? Not to
me
Jon Elson

GMasterman wrote:
Two 1/4" 6061 aluminum disc 7" in diameter, nothing more complicated than
cutting them out with hydrojet-$147 a pair. Sound reasonable to ya'll? Not to
me

A CNC milling machine could do this in a couple of minutes. That is
probably the most cost effective tool to just do a few of these parts.
There is no sense using water jet for simple jobs in easily-cut
materials. If this was 1/4" hastelloy, water jet could be the tool
of choice.

Jon

Doug Goncz

It all depends on whether you can take a pilot hole or diimple in the center.

Two 1/4" 6061 aluminum disc 7" in diameter, nothing more complicated than
cutting them out with hydrojet-$147 a pair. Sound reasonable to ya'll? Not to
me

NC hydrojet? I guess so, given amortization, scrap, and programming and
operator time.

But they could be trepanned on somebody's mill at far lower cost, or bandsawed
to the line and turned with a center dimple.

For raw productivity, though, you'd take a center hole and do it on a drill
press at near materials cost.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.
Carl

It would only be about a couple of minutes with a waterjet. Just to
see how much time it would take, I went ahead and programmed up my
waterjet to make a 7" disk. It took about 30 seconds for me to make a
program for a 7" disk, and it will take just under 1 minute to
actually cut it. The long part of the job would be lifiting the plate
into and out of the machine, which would probably take 2 more minutes.
So, a job like this should be done in under 5 minutes and easily in
10. Making two of them would only take 1 more minute.

At $147 I would say that someone just does not want to be bothered
with a small job. There are a gazillion shops out there that can do
the work for you. See:

http://www.waterjets.org/waterjet_jobshops.html

or

http://www.omax.com/job_shop_match.html