DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Coal/coke vs. charcoal cupola iron melting stuff! (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/68865-coal-coke-vs-charcoal-cupola-iron-melting-stuff.html)

gamblinswede September 13th 04 08:38 PM

Coal/coke vs. charcoal cupola iron melting stuff!

If I build a cupola according to Stewart Marshalls or Steve Chastains
drawings, will I be able to use charcoal as a fuel? Do I have to make
a lot of modifications and/or feed the furnace every minute with
charcoal? Thanx in advance!

waynemak September 15th 04 01:56 AM

I know the coal I burn to heat my house (3 to 4 tons a year) puts out alot
of heat and burns for a long time than charcoal. Plus coal is much less per
btu or pound. Coal costs me about $175 per ton, I have bought 50 pound bags
at the end of the season at about $5.50 per bag.
om...