Charles Bronson

Default I want to learn how to make knifes.

I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me
sending FAQs, How To´s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.

Thanks.

ATP

"Charles Bronson" wrote in message
I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me
sending FAQs, How To´s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.

Thanks.

How do we know you're not planning to use those knives for the evil that men
do?

williamhenry

go to rec.knives

search google groups

go to a knifemakers show

contact texas knifemakers supply

Gunner

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:14:37 -0300, "Charles Bronson"
wrote:

I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me
sending FAQs, How To´s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.

Thanks.

www.bladeforums.com/books/knifemaking.html
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Gunner

wrote:

I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me
sending FAQs, How To´s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.

Thanks.

If you have any specific questions, Id be happy to help you out.

I cannot teach you 10,000 yrs of the art over this newsgroup G
but I can maybe steer you in the right direction

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one
can help me sending FAQs, How To?s, links or advice, I would be
greatfull.

If you have any specific questions, Id be happy to help you out.
I cannot teach you 10,000 yrs of the art over this newsgroup G
but I can maybe steer you in the right direction
Gunner

Yeah. :/ It's like... get back on here (switch to rec.knives)
and at least give us a clue as the where to start.

My newest one...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/bandsawL.jpg
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/bandsawR.jpg

Nobody has to like it... I like it enough for all of us!

It's not like I like all my knives, 6 months ago I made the ugliest
knife I ever saw. :/ It's just that I -really- like the looks of
this one is all. I'm going to make myself one like it someday
except I'm going to use better steel.

It's got a problem with the handles, I ground them off too short...

You see... the handle pin holes are drilled and lined up with
temporary pins so the "front end" of the handle slabs can be
finished up and length perfectly matching...

Problem was it was my first time using my little hand grinder with
sanding disks, I was having a real good time wackin that wood down
faster and easier than I'd ever done it before and no splintering
either! It was great, just didn't realize how much wood was
being removed.

-.050" thick re-heat-treated bandsaw blade steel
- hickory from the woodworker's supply store
(going to switch back to my own mesquite)
- handle pins are 16d finishing nails (11 gauge = ~.122" diameter)
- urethane glue to seal the wood/steel junction

No reason for it not to out live me.

It kinda reminds me of Renee Z's knife in Cold Mountain.

Alvin in AZ (hobby knifemaker)
Gunner

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:16:35 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one
can help me sending FAQs, How To?s, links or advice, I would be
greatfull.

If you have any specific questions, Id be happy to help you out.
I cannot teach you 10,000 yrs of the art over this newsgroup G
but I can maybe steer you in the right direction
Gunner

Yeah. :/ It's like... get back on here (switch to rec.knives)
and at least give us a clue as the where to start.

Chuckle..you were one of the resources I was going to misdirect the
poor ******* to. G

Hey..need a nice gas fired furnace? I picked one up the other day.
About 12"x12" x 20" deep. Nice counterweighted door with peep hole.

The entire thing is about 300lbs, probably 2x2x3 feet.

Its located in Newport Beach California at the moment. I was gonna
offer it to Big John Delevan, but he may already have one.

Id make someone a hell of a deal on it. And the ceramic is in minty
shape, so its good to go. Might want to redo the burner and air mixer
for propane though..shrug. its easy.

Gunner

[...]

TomNBanderaTx

go to rec.knives

This group is mostly for collectors, there are a few makers that frequent
it, but mostly collectors buying and selling knives.

Hey..need a nice gas fired furnace? I picked one up the other day.
About 12"x12" x 20" deep. Nice counterweighted door with peep hole.

The entire thing is about 300lbs, probably 2x2x3 feet.

Its located in Newport Beach California at the moment. I was gonna
offer it to Big John Delevan, but he may already have one.

Id make someone a hell of a deal on it. And the ceramic is in minty
shape, so its good to go. Might want to redo the burner and air mixer
for propane though..shrug. its easy.
Gunner

I really should take you up on that. Just a few days ago at an
auction pre-veiw there was a whole barn's full of stuff that had got
burned.

Cool old stuff! But now they are annealed as anything... some of
it could be re-heat treated and put back to work. First thing that
comes to mind is the really nice old brush-hook head. Do some
grinding/thinning and re-heat treat it ...better than new.

There was also a 2+1/2 to 3 foot diameter sawmill blade. My friend
was supposed to bid on that for me... couldn't get ahold of him last
night so don't know if I got it or not.

If I get that sawmill blade I guess I'll have to make some "tough
knives".

Alvin in AZ
ps- I don't make "tough knives" figuring there's more than enough of
them out there already, I want to make "edge-holding knives"
pps- high speed steel, power hacksaw blade knives are my best ones

Gunner

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:32:57 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Hey..need a nice gas fired furnace? I picked one up the other day.
About 12"x12" x 20" deep. Nice counterweighted door with peep hole.

The entire thing is about 300lbs, probably 2x2x3 feet.

Its located in Newport Beach California at the moment. I was gonna
offer it to Big John Delevan, but he may already have one.

Id make someone a hell of a deal on it. And the ceramic is in minty
shape, so its good to go. Might want to redo the burner and air mixer
for propane though..shrug. its easy.
Gunner

I really should take you up on that. Just a few days ago at an
auction pre-veiw there was a whole barn's full of stuff that had got
burned.

Get to LA very often? Know anyone coming this way with the capacity to
haul it back?

Cool old stuff! But now they are annealed as anything... some of
it could be re-heat treated and put back to work. First thing that
comes to mind is the really nice old brush-hook head. Do some
grinding/thinning and re-heat treat it ...better than new.

Damned near all of it can be rebuilt. Fire is steels friend.

There was also a 2+1/2 to 3 foot diameter sawmill blade. My friend
was supposed to bid on that for me... couldn't get ahold of him last
night so don't know if I got it or not.

ooooooo!!
If I get that sawmill blade I guess I'll have to make some "tough
knives".

Indeed. Might even do some trading with you. Got a nice furnace with
no place to put it G

Alvin in AZ
ps- I don't make "tough knives" figuring there's more than enough of
them out there already, I want to make "edge-holding knives"
pps- high speed steel, power hacksaw blade knives are my best ones

Ayup. Lots of touch knives that are crowbar sharp.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
bill

wrote:

I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me
sending FAQs, How To´s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.

Thanks.

This should keep you busy fer a day or so. www.abana.org
TomNBanderaTx

You might want to get Wayne Goddard's $50 knife shop book. It shows you how
to start making knives for little of nothing. Shows you how to harden,
temper them as well. I found mine through Amazon from a sub dealer for $7
plus shipping brand new.
"Charles Bronson" wrote in message
I want to learn who to make knifes.
I wish to learn different process of how to do it. If some one can help me
sending FAQs, How To´s, links or advice, I would be greatfull.

Thanks.

Greyangel

Has it occured to anybody here that this "Charles Bronson" is troll? Cross
posted and all.

Nice knife Al! Let me guess harder than a scorned woman?

GA

wrote in message ...
[...]

Could be, but don't think so yet.
"knifes" might be a clue tho huh?

Nice knife Al! Let me guess harder than a scorned woman?
GA

Cool thanks. Good guess on the hardness, 99% of the time you'd
be spot-on. But this one's not all that hard, not the right kind of
steel for that... or I just don't know how to heat treat the dangged
stuff... Usually boron steel has carbon in it too, the boron
"enhances" carbon's work... this is weird stuff and I just don't
know nuthin about it. Made it as hard as I could tho!

It started out butt-ugly. No sweat it's just a test knife for the
boron bandsaw steel... later after a little use I took the dremel
to it and whacked off a bunch of the blade and re-shaped what was
left... and I liked the new shape about as much as any I've ever
made.

Just never know.

Alvin in AZ

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:34:57 GMT, "ATP"
wrote:

"Charles Bronson" wrote in message
I want to learn who to make knifes.

How do we know you're not planning to use those knives for the evil that men
do?

He posts under the name "Charles Bronson", and he managed to avoid the
one very obvious group that's most relevant. What do you reckon ?

So sorry, no reply from here.

Charles Bronson

I will do no evil. Just gonna revenge the death of my family killing some
punkos, drug dealers, pornomakers and stuff... hehehhe

"Andy Dingley" escreveu na mensagem
wrote:

"Charles Bronson" wrote in message
I want to learn who to make knifes.

How do we know you're not planning to use those knives for the evil that

men
do?

He posts under the name "Charles Bronson", and he managed to avoid the
one very obvious group that's most relevant. What do you reckon ?

So sorry, no reply from here.

Gunner

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:13:55 -0300, "Charles Bronson"
wrote:

I will do no evil. Just gonna revenge the death of my family killing some
punkos, drug dealers, pornomakers and stuff... hehehhe

Sure you are. Ayup. Indeed.

Back under your bridge moron.

Gunner

"Andy Dingley" escreveu na mensagem
.. .
wrote:

"Charles Bronson" wrote in message
I want to learn who to make knifes.

How do we know you're not planning to use those knives for the evil that

men
do?

He posts under the name "Charles Bronson", and he managed to avoid the
one very obvious group that's most relevant. What do you reckon ?

So sorry, no reply from here.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Jason Marshall

wrote:

I will do no evil. Just gonna revenge the death of my family killing some
punkos, drug dealers, pornomakers and stuff... hehehhe

Sure you are. Ayup. Indeed.

Back under your bridge moron.

Gunner

This may have been a troll originally, but it has been a catalyst for
me. I have a few old (big!) circular sawmill blades kicking around and a
bunch of old whitetail antlers and I think I'm going to give it a go.
I'm sure my dad would be thrilled to recieve a polished, handmade bowie
for christmas. I never knew there was so much information out there on
the subject. After surfing through a couple tutorials, it doesn't look
like anything I can't handle. Thanks for taking this troll seriously and
posting all those links. Imagine that--a troll actually helping. That's
gotta hurt.

Jason

In alt.crafts.blacksmithing Jason Marshall wrote:
Back under your bridge moron.
Gunner

This may have been a troll originally, but it has been a catalyst
for me. I have a few old (big!) circular sawmill blades kicking
around and a bunch of old whitetail antlers and I think I'm going
to give it a go. I'm sure my dad would be thrilled to recieve a
polished, handmade bowie for christmas. I never knew there was so
much information out there on the subject. After surfing through a
couple tutorials, it doesn't look like anything I can't handle.

Cool as anything, Jason!
Scan off some pictures of the stuff as you go...
Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I like as simple as I can get them, no bells and whistles for me,
no matter who makes it. YMMV

There's nothing all that hard about making a knife if it's kept
simple. With a little more know how, I managed to make them simpler
later than my early ones. Tile drilling bits for the HSS power
hacksaw blades was a major mile stone. Learning to heat treat the
low alloy steels (like your saw blades) was an early mile stone that
made pocket knife blade replacement posible.

One thing I'm still wrestling with is re-heat treating files. :/
Sometimes they don't turn out right and I want to get that problem
figured out.

You won't have the same problem with the old saw blades they have
some metal alloying in them that prevents the "file problem".

Thanks for taking this troll seriously and posting all those
links. Imagine that--a troll actually helping. That's gotta hurt.
Jason

LOL!

Alvin in AZ

Get to LA very often? Know anyone coming this way with the
capacity to haul it back?

Heck no.

I learned about you and your exploits (a.c.m) right after my girl
friend stopped driving a truck back and forth to LA. (as far as
making money, she -just about broke even- on that #%^&in' job!)

Cool old stuff! But now they are annealed as anything... some of
it could be re-heat treated and put back to work. First thing that
comes to mind is the really nice old brush-hook head. Do some
grinding/thinning and re-heat treat it ...better than new.

Damned near all of it can be rebuilt. Fire is steels friend.

Alot of it's warped just a little, like the saw blade and old spiral
drill bits.

A lot of old tack and other really cool really old stuff.
All I saw and wanted was the saw blade and the brush hook (for a
friend) but it needs a bigger furnace to fix it than I have.

There was also a 2+1/2 to 3 foot diameter sawmill blade. My friend
was supposed to bid on that for me...

ooooooo!!
If I get that sawmill blade I guess I'll have to make some "tough
knives".

Indeed. Might even do some trading with you. Got a nice furnace
with no place to put it G

Cool.

Alvin in AZ
GunnerAsch

wrote:

[...]

Circular saw mill blades are worth some serious money to knife makers
btw.

Most will make marvelous knives.

Gunner