DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   general purpose fill rod for OA (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/686327-general-purpose-fill-rod-oa.html)

Cydrome Leader April 28th 21 05:27 PM

general purpose fill rod for OA

Is RG45 the most generic/general purpose fill rod that can be used on
boring low-carbon steels like A36 or rebar?

I'd be using oxy-acetylene. Just want something real plain for patching up
what's basically scrap steel. I last used ER70s on real thin wire and
sheets, but that was a while ago.

Any specific real-life reasons to pick one over the other for non-critical
uses?

Bob La Londe[_7_] April 28th 21 09:51 PM

On 4/28/2021 9:27 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Is RG45 the most generic/general purpose fill rod that can be used on
boring low-carbon steels like A36 or rebar?

I'd be using oxy-acetylene. Just want something real plain for patching up
what's basically scrap steel. I last used ER70s on real thin wire and
sheets, but that was a while ago.

Any specific real-life reasons to pick one over the other for non-critical
uses?

I welded a lot of stuff with an OA rig and a clothes hanger when I was
younger. Its not really a big deal for A36 or other mild steel. Rebar
is less consistent as to carbon content so who knows. As you say non
critical so if it sticks it sticks.

https://www.avg.com