Old April 4th 21, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Weight bearing strength of 5 ft. of black iron pipe

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 6:18:04 AM UTC-7, Goncalves wrote:
replying to mjacobsen925, Goncalves wrote:
Really mjacobsen925, a forum is where one asks questions not where one gets
censored.
--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...pe-639655-.htm

What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? I’ll anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.

Old April 4th 21, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:38:26 -0700 (PDT), Linda Iverson
wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 6:18:04 AM UTC-7, Goncalves wrote:
replying to mjacobsen925, Goncalves wrote:
Really mjacobsen925, a forum is where one asks questions not where one gets
censored.
--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...pe-639655-.htm

What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? Ill anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.

2 or 3 inch might work but not 3/4 or 1 inch unless you want them to
sag
Old April 4th 21, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 6:18:04 AM UTC-7, Goncalves wrote:
replying to mjacobsen925, Goncalves wrote:
Really mjacobsen925, a forum is where one asks questions not where one gets
censored.
--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...pe-639655-.htm

What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? I’ll anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.

2 or 3 inch might work but not 3/4 or 1 inch unless you want them to
sag

The pipe, even 2 inch, will sag just from its own weight.

Old April 4th 21, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 6:18:04 AM UTC-7, Goncalves wrote:
replying to mjacobsen925, Goncalves wrote:
Really mjacobsen925, a forum is where one asks questions not where one gets
censored.
--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...pe-639655-.htm

What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? Ill anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.

2 or 3 inch might work but not 3/4 or 1 inch unless you want them to
sag

The pipe, even 2 inch, will sag just from its own weight.

Sched 40 will sag - sched 80 MIGHT work in 2 inch but not with HEAVY
drapery
Old April 5th 21, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A 12 foot length of 2 inch Sched 80 steel pipe would weigh over 60 lbs.
That's quite some curtain rod!!

Old April 5th 21, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

But it will support itself and some load over a 12 ft span. (about 1
1/2 times?? as much as sched 40.

Just did as bit of investigating and 1 1/4 inch sched 80 should be
adequate for a pretty heavy curtain - and weigh about 40 lb? - about
10 lb per meter) will sipport about 30 lb evenly didtributed with
about an inch of deflection.
Sched 40 will only handle around 20 lb with almost 1 1/2 inches of
deflection with a wight of ropughly 30 lb.
Old April 5th 21, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/3/2021 10:38 PM, Linda Iverson wrote:
What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? I’ll anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.

"Strong enough"? It depends - it will be strong enough to not fall
down, but it will sag. How much sag depends upon the weight of the
"heavy velvet drapes" & the diameter of the pipe. If you specify the
weight & the maximum sag acceptable, someone here can tell you the pipe
size to use. However, heavy drapes and a 12' span mean that the sag
will probably be unacceptable for anything but a really big pipe.

Old April 5th 21, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 7:38:28 PM UTC-7, Linda Iverson wrote:

What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? I’ll anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.

Strong enough, perhaps, but for sag-resistance you want diameter, but not wall thickness (like
a water/air pipe intended for machine-threading the ends). Fence rail items

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Vinyl-Coated-Steel-Chain-Link-Fence-Top-Rail/999978242

have less pounds per foot of metal, but are cold-worked steel and should perform
acceptably; they join end-to-end (and with a bit of Liquid Nails applied, the joints will be rigid
enough for most purposes).

Designs of curtain rails of formed sheet metal will allow a 12 foot span, with
a brace at 6 feet, that doesn't interfere with the drape support elements (sliding plastic
in a steel channel). A central brace in these designs is usually not visible with the curtain closed.
Old April 5th 21, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 4/3/2021 10:38 PM, Linda Iverson wrote:
What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy
velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need
for a center support?

If you specify the weight & the maximum sag acceptable, someone here
can tell you the pipe size to use. However, heavy drapes and a 12'
span mean that the sag will probably be unacceptable for anything but
a really big pipe.

Or hide the sag with a valance box.

Elijah
------
as old fashioned as heavy velvet drapes
Old April 6th 21, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's Euler-Bernoulli beam - very clear and exact. You can have the
load it can take and the deflection at that load to great accuracy.
If you set-up the load on the finished article, you'd find the
deflection matched to within a millimetre or something like that.
The end supports cannot be anything like rigid enough against rotation
to benefit the load capacity and stiffness against deflection.
You've got a "simple supported beam" ("double-supported beam").
A fair and reasonable conservative assumption would be to put the
entire weight of the curtain in the middle of the "curtain rail" when
doing the Euler-Bernoulli calculation for what tube to specify.
So that truly is the "simply supported centrally-loaded beam" case.

I do a lot of these calculations.
eg.
http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/stru...lat_calcs.html

Rich Smith