Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)

"bob prohaska" wrote in message ...

In rec.crafts.metalworking Jim Wilkins wrote:
"micky" wrote in message

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Mar 2021 07:20:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

----------------------------

You caught me. Drilling out a small screw freehand without ruining the
threaded hole is a challenging test of skill. I've messed up enough that
when I needed to drill out broken screws on my lathe and truck's intake
manifold I made drill guide jigs.

https://www.protolabs.com/resources/...-and-fixtures/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

----------------------------

You caught me. Drilling out a small screw freehand without ruining the
threaded hole is a challenging test of skill. I've messed up enough that
when I needed to drill out broken screws on my lathe and truck's intake
manifold I made drill guide jigs.

Wasn't my idea, found it on the Web somewhere, maybe YouTube. Didn't
care about the backflow preventer, but did value the hose bibb.

https://www.protolabs.com/resources/...-and-fixtures/

Good link. Never paid attention to the distinction between jigs and
fixtures before this...

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

https://www.protolabs.com/resources/...-and-fixtures/

Good link. Never paid attention to the distinction between jigs and
fixtures before this...

bob prohaska

I didn't either, I just designed and built whatever they asked me for and
labeled it for the production part it calibrated and tested.
The only time their names were important was when I updated my resume. R&D
jobs aren't permanent, nor are small start-ups developing interesting new
products.