Old January 22nd 21, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reid Supply

Bob La Londe on Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:19:40 -0700

Ugh! Their website does one thing I absolutely despise. If they don't
have what you are searching for it shows hundreds of items that aren't
what you are looking for.

"Do you have any tool steel?"

"Would you like to buy some frozen chickens?"

Fawwwk!

The Amazon search engine approach: show anything which might be
related, whether it is even close to what they asked for. I realize
that on occasions I've answer the question "find what you're looking
for?" with a "Not sure what I'm looking for till I see it." Sometimes
you do find "cool stuff" or something else you needed.
But when I am looking for something specific, showing me what is
only peripherally related "doesn't help my showing experience" E.G.,
most recently looking for A4 size paper, including standard Letter
Size options doesn't help.

--
pyotr filipivich

Old January 22nd 21, 06:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?'. was Reid Supply

Mike Spencer on 21 Jan 2021 19:35:16
Happens in Real Life(tm). I once went into a metal supplier, asked
for (I forget the number, 6000 maybe?) pure aluminum 1/16" sheet.
explained at length that I would be hand-working it and needed the
softest, most malleable, most ductile material possible.

After checking inventory, the Guy replied that they had none in stock
but suggested that they sell me this other alloy of which they had
plenty. I pointed out that it was the alloy used for ship hulls and
dump truck boxes, the most deformation-refractory one in the list.

His reply? "Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?"

Sure is. "Will you take Pesos, because that's what's I have,
Old January 22nd 21, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
Mike Spencer on 21 Jan 2021 19:35:16
Happens in Real Life(tm). I once went into a metal supplier, asked
for (I forget the number, 6000 maybe?) pure aluminum 1/16" sheet.
explained at length that I would be hand-working it and needed the
softest, most malleable, most ductile material possible.

After checking inventory, the Guy replied that they had none in stock
but suggested that they sell me this other alloy of which they had
plenty. I pointed out that it was the alloy used for ship hulls and
dump truck boxes, the most deformation-refractory one in the list.

His reply? "Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?"

Sure is. "Will you take Pesos, because that's what's I have,
'Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?'."
--
pyotr filipivich

-------------------------

Will you take this check from the Right Bank of the St Lawrence?

Old January 22nd 21, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich writes:

Mike Spencer on 21 Jan 2021 19:35:16

Happens in Real Life(tm). I once went into a metal supplier, asked
for (I forget the number, 6000 maybe?) pure aluminum 1/16" sheet.
explained at length that I would be hand-working it and needed the
softest, most malleable, most ductile material possible.

After checking inventory, the Guy replied that they had none in stock
but suggested that they sell me this other alloy of which they had
plenty. I pointed out that it was the alloy used for ship hulls and
dump truck boxes, the most deformation-refractory one in the list.

His reply? "Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?"

Sure is. "Will you take Pesos, because that's what's I have,
'Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?'."

"I'm sure your inflamed appendix is very painful and it's distressing
that it may rupture at any moment but I'm an orthopedic surgeon so I
can replace your hip joint if you like. Availablity has to worth
something."

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Old February 18th 21, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 4:47:45 PM UTC-5, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:31:12 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
Zoro is just Grainger rebranded. I have reason to dislike Grainger, but
if they were the only vendor on the planet who had what I needed I'd by
from them. Typically Zoro pricing is better than the list price from
MSC, but the business price is almost always cheaper at MSC.

MSC sells on ebay too, and sometimes their Ebay price is better than the
business price on their website, but I just about always get free
shipping on the website, so its cheaper on the website.

FYI: In case you didn't know Zoro is free shipping on 99% of things if
the order is over $50, so make sure Ebay isn't costing you more net.

Yeah, Grainger prices suck for us common folk...

Just ran several items comparing between Ebay and their own Zoro site.
Same prices and shipping. Seems it went up to $75 now. Which don't
surprise me. Shipping prices, times and quality are severely lacking
nowadays

Big prices can help organize workers in these more serious corporate places like they did with UPS and are trying to do with Amazon and FedEx (US).