DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Retail Source 5052 PIPE (not thin wall tube) USA (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/684072-re-retail-source-5052-pipe-not-thin-wall-tube-usa.html)

Michael Terrell January 13th 21 04:47 PM

Retail Source 5052 PIPE (not thin wall tube) USA

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 1:46:47 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been working on another boat project and looking through various
manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the
best solution for one aspect. I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness
greater than the available tube I have found. Schedule water pipe seems
to be a solution that exists. A few manufacturers do list it on their
website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual
sources. In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052.

The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061? 6061
water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube." I want 5052 and
6061 isn't 5052. If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this
post.

What aluminum alloy do they use for electrical conduit?

Bob La Londe[_7_] January 13th 21 06:58 PM

On 1/13/2021 8:47 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 1:46:47 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been working on another boat project and looking through various
manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the
best solution for one aspect. I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness
greater than the available tube I have found. Schedule water pipe seems
to be a solution that exists. A few manufacturers do list it on their
website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual
sources. In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052.

The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061? 6061
water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube." I want 5052 and
6061 isn't 5052. If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this
post.

What aluminum alloy do they use for electrical conduit?

I've never used aluminum electrical conduit, but in my past career I
installed many miles of PVC conduit along with steel EMT & IMC conduit.
What would be the exact need aluminum conduit? Some LBs and a few
other things appear to be cast aluminum (they could be zamak I suppose
although they seem to be stronger than zamak), but I don't recall using
any aluminum conduit.

https://www.avg.com

Ned Simmons January 13th 21 08:05 PM

Retail Source 5052 PIPE (not thin wall tube) USA

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:58:06 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

If another 5xxx alloy is acceptable, I think you'll have better luck
finding 5086 aluminum pipe. 5086 is what's commonly used for tanks &
hulls in marine (salt water) environments.

http://www.ims-metals.com/5086sch40.html

--
Ned Simmons

Joe gwinn January 13th 21 10:47 PM

Retail Source 5052 PIPE (not thin wall tube) USA

wrote:

[...]

Aluminum conduit does exist - less corrosion, no stain in bad
environments. Most say just "aluminum". Seems to be 6063:

..https://www.westerntube.com/products/rigid-aluminum-conduit/

Also available as Schedule 40 pipe.

Joe Gwinn

Bob La Londe[_7_] January 14th 21 12:43 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yep. 5052 is used in light craft and 5086 is used for structural
elements and larger craft. I had not considered looking for 5086.
Certainly worth a shot.

https://www.avg.com