Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Happy Thanksgiving

I'm thankful for you guys. I am self taught for a lot of things, but
the help of colleagues is always useful.

I'm thankful for people who make me smile about little things. The
other day I posted a picture of a tool & cutter grinder I picked up
recently and a small forge my son and I were playing with to pound out
our first blacksmith project. (We beat perfectly good round bar into a
trinket of questionable value.) I was pretty happy spending the day
taking turns with the hammer with my son, but a comment from a fellow
tackle maker in the Makers & Builders group really made me smile. He
said, "If I was in you shop I'd be running around like Smeggle saying
:Oh my precious to every machine in there." It really made me
appreciate every tool I have.

Today we made a stump for my little 70lb anvil. Living in the desert
big old chunks of tree trunk for anvil stumps aren't laying around
everywhere. We cut and planed the 2x12s that were laying out back of my
shop. The ones I rejected when I put the ceiling/upper floor on my
office. Now I have a giant glue/lam a little less than 2 feet long. My
son and I spent a large part of the morning and a bit of the afternoon
flattening boards and gluing them back into a tree trunk. Probably an
inadequate one for a real anvil, but the 70lb Russian anvil will work
fine on it... when we finish it. We ran out of glue.

Days like today I am really thankful for every little thing, and it
doesn't really matter that its Thanksgiving day.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/26/2020 5:51 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I'm thankful for you guys.Â* I am self taught for a lot of things, but
the help of colleagues is always useful.

I'm thankful for people who make me smile about little things.Â* The
other day I posted a picture of a tool & cutter grinder I picked up
recently and a small forge my son and I were playing with to pound out
our first blacksmith project.Â* (We beat perfectly good round bar into a
trinket of questionable value.)Â* I was pretty happy spending the day
taking turns with the hammer with my son, but a comment from a fellow
tackle maker in the Makers & Builders group really made me smile. He
said, "If I was in you shop I'd be running around like Smeggle saying
:Oh my precious to every machine in there."Â* It really made me
appreciate every tool I have.

Today we made a stump for my little 70lb anvil.Â* Living in the desert
big old chunks of tree trunk for anvil stumps aren't laying around
everywhere.Â* We cut and planed the 2x12s that were laying out back of my
shop.Â* The ones I rejected when I put the ceiling/upper floor on my
office.Â* Now I have a giant glue/lam a little less than 2 feet long.Â* My
son and I spent a large part of the morning and a bit of the afternoon
flattening boards and gluing them back into a tree trunk.Â* Probably an
inadequate one for a real anvil, but the 70lb Russian anvil will work
fine on it... when we finish it.Â* We ran out of glue.

Days like today I am really thankful for every little thing, and it
doesn't really matter that its Thanksgiving day.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Bob,

Let me be the first to say; Good job tell a great story, Bob!!!

Thanks!!

May all your days be as special!!

Les

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:51:57 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

Several years ago, the city cut down a fair size tree at the
intersection near home. As usual they cut it into short lengths and
within a short time it was all gone except for one gnarly "crotch
block" which I immediatley sent second son+pick-um-up to get. Since it
would sit at the end of the driveway as a chopping block, I nailed
hockey pucks to the bottom to raise it off the pavement to prevent rot
from surface moisture. Unfortunately the upper surface is
deteriorating so I will have to visit Junior's FiL's sugar bush and
select a replacement in the next year or so.