Old October 30th 20, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma Cutter

On 10/28/2020 5:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag"* wrote in message ...
* I'm shopping for one now ... and I'm wondering if the plot arc
feature is worth the extra cost . I'm looking at the bottom of the price
range , around 200-250 bucks - I'm not going to be using this thing all
day every day . I'm basically looking at one for irregular cuts and more
efficient cutting on things too big for my bandsaws . I don't do much OA
cutting since I'm operating on small bottles - a "B" tank for Acetylene
and a 20 CF oxygen tank . And since the wife has no objection ... she's
always been pretty flexible with me on buying tools , she knows I save
much more on repair costs than the cost of those tools .

__________________________________

My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.

__________________________________

I think my 60 gal/6hp unit might be able to keep up with the duty
cycle on this one . It wants around 4 1/2 CFM @ 75 PSI . I'm still
studying these things , but if I understand it correctly you need less
air pressure at lower amp settings ... I got plenty of stuff to practice
on . I'll need to buy more consumables , right after the first of the
month when my monthly transfer to the shop account happens .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non

Old October 30th 20, 11:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 10/28/2020 5:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.

__________________________________

I think my 60 gal/6hp unit might be able to keep up with the duty
cycle on this one . ...
Snag

=======================

Yep, it should be enough. I don't even turn on my newer 60 gal one for small
jobs like sandblasting rust spots, the air in the tank is plenty.

Old October 30th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/30/2020 12:18 AM, Snag wrote:
* The only problem with lighting up a gas forge (or torpedo heater) is
the several hundred pounds of cold iron machine tooling ... the forge
will warm the place quite nicely , but I end up with flash rust on the
lathe and mill . ...

Torpedo heaters (& any open-flame heater) are really, REALLY bad in a
shop. Because each pound of fuel burned produces more than a pound of
water vapor*!! Water vapor + cold steel = flash rust, as you found.

* - the reaction is very straightforward, but I'm too lazy to work out
the details. Basically it's hydrocarbon plus oxygen gives CO2 & H2O.

Old October 30th 20, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30/10/2020 10:42, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 10/28/2020 5:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.

__________________________________

* I think my 60 gal/6hp unit might be able to keep up with the duty
cycle on this one . ...
Snag

=======================

Yep, it should be enough. I don't even turn on my newer 60 gal one for
small jobs like sandblasting rust spots, the air in the tank is plenty.

My 40A plasma cutter runs fine on my 2hp compressor.

Old October 30th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 10/28/2020 5:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.

__________________________________

I think my 60 gal/6hp unit might be able to keep up with the duty
cycle on this one . ...
Snag

=======================

Yep, it should be enough. I don't even turn on my newer 60 gal one for
small jobs like sandblasting rust spots, the air in the tank is plenty.

My 40A plasma cutter runs fine on my 2hp compressor.

=======================

Thanks, that's a useful data point. I wasn't looking for such a large
compressor but couldn't pass up the deal, $75 unused but missing the pump
(handling damage?). The 3HP Harbor Freight air pump works fine on it.

Old October 31st 20, 02:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/29/2020 9:22 PM, Snag wrote:
On 10/28/2020 8:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 7:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 10/27/2020 5:42 PM, Snag wrote:

blanks ... I'm already thinking of ways to warm up the shop better

this winter so I can spend some Quality Time with my forge and anvil .

Um... am I missing something again? LIGHT THE FORGE! LOL.

P.S. Yer a bad influence. I started looking at plasma cutters

again today.

They're getting quite reasonable now . The one I bought is one of

the cut50 variants with pilot arc . 225 bucks plus taxes , free shipping
.. My wife didn't even ask what I wanted it for , she's a gem when it
comes to me buying tools .

Whelp! I done went gone and ordered one. Didn't get quite the deal you
did, but I went with the CUT60P (60 amp) unit at just under $300.

I've got a piece of 3/4" steel plate laying out in front of the shop
that I have wanted to break down for various projects for a while now. I
hope this will cut it without to much slag.

https://www.avg.com

Old October 31st 20, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
I've got a piece of 3/4" steel plate laying out in front of the shop
that I have wanted to break down for various projects for a while now. I
hope this will cut it without to much slag.

==============

I've encountered a tool-dulling hard layer at the CNC plasma cut in hot
rolled steel. Fortunately the tool that dulled was an easily resharpened HSS
lathe bit instead of an endmill or bandsaw blade.

Old November 7th 20, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 06:42:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message ...

On 10/28/2020 5:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.

__________________________________

I think my 60 gal/6hp unit might be able to keep up with the duty
cycle on this one . ...
Snag

=======================

Yep, it should be enough. I don't even turn on my newer 60 gal one for small
jobs like sandblasting rust spots, the air in the tank is plenty.

Double up on the air tanks if your little compressor can't keep up.
That said, plasma cutting is pretty quick, and you may not need it
unless you're cutting 100' of 3/4 plate.

I'm late here, but heard that the Lotos brand was a step above most
imports. 50A $409 vs $259 for others on Amazon.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Old November 7th 20, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 10/28/2020 5:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
My 1/2 HP air compressor couldn't keep up with a 30A plasma cutter.
__________________________________

Double up on the air tanks if your little compressor can't keep up.
That said, plasma cutting is pretty quick, and you may not need it
unless you're cutting 100' of 3/4 plate.

I did that to help my 1/2 HP compressor keep up when sandblasting vehicle
rust spots. I also hung up an 8" wall gauge to monitor the tank pressure
from where I was working, to show if I should wait a little before starting.

It was barely adequate for sandblasting and cost me some plasma consumables
because I couldn't as easily pause to check the gauge.

Old November 8th 20, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My "3HP portable" air compressor matched the draw of my small
Hypertherm plasma cutter (about 10mm max cut), for continuous running.