Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An interesting photo

https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Terrell writes:

https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Envy! I have a 24" band saw and a 25# Jardine power hammer than run
on flat belts from a line shaft. Envious of that setup.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Terrell" wrote in message

https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

=====================================

During and after high school I worked in a factory that made those leather
belts.
https://pagebelting.com/history/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 10:35:21 AM UTC-4, bob wrote:
On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.

When men were men! Fingers be damned!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/10/2020 15:37, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 10:35:21 AM UTC-4, bob wrote:
On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.

When men were men! Fingers be damned!

That sounds a bit crazy these days, rather like the youtube videos of
people changing the fan belt on aÂ*VW Beetle while it's running.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/08/2020 07:34 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.

The green gallon can on the floor doesn't quite look real. And the
"photo" is signed, as by an artist.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 06:36:40 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael Terrell" wrote in message

https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

=====================================

During and after high school I worked in a factory that made those leather
belts.
https://pagebelting.com/history/

When I was an apprentice one of the things we learned was how to
splice and fit leather belts.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 10:34:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.

How else? The overhead shaft system was driven by some outside power
source and adding a clutch to each and every machine station would
cost a fortune and operators learned how to change speeds without
losing a finger. You certainly didn't use your hands to move the belt.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 14:20:03 -0700, Corvid wrote:

On 10/08/2020 07:34 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.

The green gallon can on the floor doesn't quite look real. And the
"photo" is signed, as by an artist.

If you blow the picture up the can appears to have labels on the two
sides that can be seen and the "signature" seems to reads "10.20" and
a name.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 8:36:13 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 14:20:03 -0700, Corvid wrote:

On 10/08/2020 07:34 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 10/8/2020 1:39 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Thanks for posting that. It appears as though there was not a clutch on
the overhead pulley. Meaning that spindle speed changes were done
"hot". I.e., with the belt running. The good old days.

The green gallon can on the floor doesn't quite look real. And the
"photo" is signed, as by an artist.

If you blow the picture up the can appears to have labels on the two
sides that can be seen and the "signature" seems to reads "10.20" and
a name.

So? People photographing old sites often mark their work for copyright purposes. They sell books full of their photos.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Want to see flat belt gear still in use try David Richards steam powered
shop. He also has a full engine shop in the other building.
(Route 38 Engine Machine Shop)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBd...nGoJUag/videos
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 12:33:54 AM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:
Michael Terrell wrote:
https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

Want to see flat belt gear still in use try David Richards steam powered
shop. He also has a full engine shop in the other building.
(Route 38 Engine Machine Shop)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBd...nGoJUag/videos

Windows 10 and a new phone used up almost all of my 10GB for the month doing updates. It was gone the first two days of the billing period.
I can still get online but it is quite slow.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 6:37:21 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael Terrell" wrote:

https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

During and after high school I worked in a factory that made those leather
belts.
https://pagebelting.com/history/

I was working in a TV shop, repairing TVs after school. I started at 13.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Terrell" wrote:

https://javosironworks.tumblr.com/post/145468615671

During and after high school I worked in a factory that made those leather
belts.
https://pagebelting.com/history/

I was working in a TV shop, repairing TVs after school. I started at 13.

===================================

I wish I'd found a better opportunity to study electronics in high school,
since I had to choose a science or engineering major before entering
college. The course load was such that there could be no two years to "find
yourself" before committing to a major. I took two years of AP Physics and
one of Chemistry in high school, and worked in the leather factory's
chemistry lab which was developing synthetic replacements.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 12:40:40 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael Terrell" wrote:

I was working in a TV shop, repairing TVs after school. I started at 13..

I wish I'd found a better opportunity to study electronics in high school,
since I had to choose a science or engineering major before entering
college. The course load was such that there could be no two years to "find
yourself" before committing to a major. I took two years of AP Physics and
one of Chemistry in high school, and worked in the leather factory's
chemistry lab which was developing synthetic replacements.

I was the Teaching Assistant to the first year students, my Senior year. I also taught a night, adult education course that year. It was fun teaching old ladies to repair their household appliances. Two years later. I tested out of a three year Electronics school in the Us Army. It was a combination of EE and Broadcasting. It was convertible to the FCC First Phone, after leaving the service. I worked in CATV, Microwave, RADAR and Broadcast while on active duty. It was interesting, but those 20 hour work days my last year were killing me.