DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Caliper spring broken (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/679684-caliper-spring-broken.html)

Clifford Heath September 8th 20 01:17 AM

Caliper spring broken

I've been cleaning up a lot of older steel tools using citric acid,
which does a nice job.

Sadly these calipers emerged from an overnight dunking with the spring
broken. It looks like it's probably been cracked for some time.

What are my options? Is it possible to get or make a replacement?

Clifford Heath.

Gerry[_9_] September 8th 20 04:58 AM

Caliper spring broken

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 10:17:58 +1000, Clifford Heath
wrote:

I've been cleaning up a lot of older steel tools using citric acid,
which does a nice job.

Sadly these calipers emerged from an overnight dunking with the spring
broken. It looks like it's probably been cracked for some time.

What are my options? Is it possible to get or make a replacement?

Clifford Heath.

Buy a cheep one at harbor fright and swap out the spring like I did,
spring steel does not respond well to acid derusting.

Clifford Heath September 8th 20 08:03 AM

Caliper spring broken

wrote:

I've been cleaning up a lot of older steel tools using citric acid,
which does a nice job.

Sadly these calipers emerged from an overnight dunking with the spring
broken. It looks like it's probably been cracked for some time.

What are my options? Is it possible to get or make a replacement?

Buy a cheep one at harbor fright and swap out the spring like I did,
spring steel does not respond well to acid derusting.

Thanks, I learned something. Can anyone explain the metallurgy or
physics here? Very interesting! I mean it looks like they might have
been cracked for some time - is that possible? Does spring steel work
with cracks in it normally? Or has the acid just aged freshly-cracked
surfaces?

Clifford Heath

Gerry[_9_] September 9th 20 04:18 AM

Caliper spring broken

wrote:

I've been cleaning up a lot of older steel tools using citric acid,
which does a nice job.

Sadly these calipers emerged from an overnight dunking with the spring
broken. It looks like it's probably been cracked for some time.

What are my options? Is it possible to get or make a replacement?

Buy a cheep one at harbor fright and swap out the spring like I did,
spring steel does not respond well to acid derusting.

Thanks, I learned something. Can anyone explain the metallurgy or
physics here? Very interesting! I mean it looks like they might have
been cracked for some time - is that possible? Does spring steel work
with cracks in it normally? Or has the acid just aged freshly-cracked
surfaces?

Clifford Heath

Just a WAG with absolutely no backup knowledge - I think it might have
something to do with hydrogen and surface micro cracks.

whit3rd September 9th 20 07:08 PM

Caliper spring broken

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 12:03:32 AM UTC-7, Clifford Heath wrote:
... Can anyone explain the metallurgy or
physics here? Very interesting! I mean it looks like they might have
been cracked for some time - is that possible? Does spring steel work
with cracks in it normally? Or has the acid just aged freshly-cracked
surfaces?

Clifford Heath

Stress corrosion is well studied (used to be a problem in auto springs, was solved
by putting a soft metal surface on the hardened spring material). The basic
principle, is that stress in a flexed spring chemically activates a bit of the
metal, which bonds to an H+ ion. That little hydrogen bond, unlike the
metallic bond, does NOT link adjacent atoms, so it is a zero-strength
bit of the steel. Now that the stress cannot use that atom's binding
force, the high-stress chemically activated region moves to another atom...
and a corrosion-accelerated crack zooms through the metal.

There's lots of hydrogen ions in acid, of course, by definition.

If there weren't any hydrogen bonding going on, the metal under stress could
deform plastically, and metallic ductility would ensure that the metal/metal
bonding stayed intact; spring steel, however, is NOT high ductility.