Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting up Golden Ray with diamond chain

On 7/13/2020 12:21 PM, James Waldby wrote:
https://gcaptain.com/heres-how-they-plan-to-cut-up-and-remove-the-golden-ray/
There's an animation of using a "diamond-encrusted cutting chain" in a video in
the article linked above, which is about how the VB-10000 will be used to cut
the Golden Ray into 8 pieces. "The public should expect a lot of noise
throughout the operation", according to the article.

It seems odd to me that they are using diamond rather than tungsten carbide.
It appears that the chain ipm will be fairly low, so absorption of diamond
into the steel being cut might not be a major problem, but I'd think properly
shaped carbide teeth would cut more aggressively and probably be less
expensive to start.

The VB-10000 was in Florida last week and will be in Georgia shortly, per
https://gcaptain.com/crews-readying-heavy-lift-vessel-vb-10000-for-golden-ray-salvage/

What do they think will happen to the 4,200 vehicles inside?

David

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R. Birch wrote:

What do they think will happen to the 4,200 vehicles inside?

Well, half of them have been submerged in sea water for a year. The other
half have either been hanging from hold-down chains, sideways for a year in
a humid environment, or they have busted the chains and they are ALL in the
seawater. Other than scrap metal, there's not much they are good for,
except horror photos.

I can't imagine how the insurance company dealt with this, but it sounds
like a bottomless money pit. Vessel written off, cargo written off, now
they have to pay for removing millions of $ of asset. WOW!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, David R. Birch wrote:
On 7/13/2020 12:21 PM, James Waldby wrote:
https://gcaptain.com/heres-how-they-plan-to-cut-up-and-remove-the-golden-ray/

What do they think will happen to the 4,200 vehicles inside?

I think they expect the diamond saw to go through them.

("No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.")

And then it all goes to the scrap yard.

Elijah
------
can't imagine you'd get better than a salvage title for any of them
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 08:56:38 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

What do they think will happen to the 4,200 vehicles inside?

Some of them will be sliced in half. No problem. They are all
write-offs anyway.

There was a somewhat similar accident back in 2002, where the
"Tricolor" sank in the English Channel. It was also sawn to pieces
before each piece was removed.

The salvage company (Smit) made a Youtube video on the salvage
operation. I think you can see some halved cars there.
--
RoRo